Donald Trump's New York fraud trial wraps up, with millions of dollars on the line

CharlieH

On 1/12/2024 at 2:04 PM, newbee2022 said:

2 walking wrecks you mean???

However, the Blog's name is Asian Now. Nothing to do with US. 

And this thread is in the world news which IS covered by Asean Now.

• Haha 1

On 1/12/2024 at 9:47 PM, BusyB said:

Thanks very much for the effort and understanding you put into this. It's explained a couple of things I hadn't known as well and I'm pretty well informed. Finance and biz was my beat in an earlier life.

It's just sad that the people who would benefit from your efforts aren't in the least bit interested in facts. They prefer the alternative variety - as if it's a choice.

Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.

• Confused 3
  • Sad 1

Interesting what Kevin O'Leary had to say on CNN Friday...

And so, that's what this case is all about. And by the way, forget about Trump. Every single real estate developer everywhere on earth does this. They always talk about their asset being worth a lot, and the bank says no. That's just the way it is.

So, in this case, what I'm trying to figure out, and I'm not pro or con, I don't care about the politics, who lost money? Nobody. The bank got paid back the construction finance loan and a new building was built. And if you're going to sue this case and win, you've got to sue every real estate developer everywhere. This is all they do. This is what they do all day long, every day.

So, I don't think this thing will ever survive appeal, regardless of what the fine is. This doesn't even make sense. 

The interview is all over the right wing blogosphere.  Being of a cynical nature, I looked on CNN to confirm that's what the guy actually said.  I dare anyone to try to find it on CNN.  They buried it.  Crickets. 

I finally found it buried in their "transcripts" section.  Had to Bing "Mr Wonderful" to find it.  But I guarantee, no CNN viewer will ever know about it.  Doesn't fit their narrative.

https://transcripts.cnn.com/show/lcl/date/2024-01-11/segment/01

Edited by impulse
  • Confused 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, impulse said:

Interesting what Kevin O'Leary had to say on CNN Friday...

And so, that's what this case is all about. And by the way, forget about Trump. Every single real estate developer everywhere on earth does this. They always talk about their asset being worth a lot, and the bank says no. That's just the way it is.

So, in this case, what I'm trying to figure out, and I'm not pro or con, I don't care about the politics, who lost money? Nobody. The bank got paid back the construction finance loan and a new building was built. And if you're going to sue this case and win, you've got to sue every real estate developer everywhere. This is all they do. This is what they do all day long, every day.

So, I don't think this thing will ever survive appeal, regardless of what the fine is. This doesn't even make sense. 

The interview is all over the right wing blogosphere.  Being of a cynical nature, I looked on CNN to confirm that's what the guy actually said.  I dare anyone to try to find it on CNN.  They buried it.  Crickets. 

I finally found it buried in their "transcripts" section.  Had to Bing "Mr Wonderful" to find it.  But I guarantee, no CNN viewer will ever know about it.  Doesn't fit their narrative.

https://transcripts.cnn.com/show/lcl/date/2024-01-11/segment/01

It’s what the law says that matters.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Danderman123 said:

Yeah, penalizing asset valuation fraud is totally alien to you.

Just out of curiosity, how many times and against how many people has this particular law been used before Trump?

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, impulse said:

I don't move in those circles, so I have to count on input from experts.  Reading the rest of the interaction, O'Leary doesn't seem to be a fan of The Donald.  But solely on the topic of the lawsuit, he's pretty clear.  This doesn't even make sense. 

Why do you think Kevin O'Leary is an expert? Is he a lawyer? As for his business experience, he originally made his money from software. I haven't seen any indication that he's an expert in real estate investment.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Danderman123 said:

One of 'em is a federal case.  No NY law seems to be quoted.  Not to mention, there were actual victims and losses.

The other is a lawsuit filed by a victim that actually had losses.

Not even close...  I mean the law that gives the NY AG standing to sue for damages when there were none...

Edited by impulse
  • Confused 1

57 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

It’s what the law says that matters.

That's true.  But not what a partisan AG says.  We won't know what the law says for years, after the appeals.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 2
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, placeholder said:

Why do you think Kevin O'Leary is an expert? Is he a lawyer? As for his business experience, he originally made his money from software. I haven't seen any indication that he's an expert in real estate investment.

CNN seemed to hold him out as an expert...   From the transcript:  I'm going to ask an expert. Shark Tank's Kevin O'Leary, he's next.

Of course, that changed after he went off message.  I just read the transcript because they buried the interview so deep.  But she sure seemed to change her tune and become rather rude dismissing him...

3 minutes ago, Danderman123 said:

So, you agree that litigation over Asset Management fraud is a thing, and your only question is how bad was it?

I guess if you were a prosecutor, and you were investigating a Ponzi scheme, as long as everyone was making money, you wouldn't prosecute. You would just hold back until the first investor lost money, right?

Don't worry, the final report will list the losses from Trump's fraud. 

There is no prosecutor in a civil trial.  Just a plaintiff and a defendant.  And I've never heard of an award for damages if nobody was damaged.  Until Trump.

• Confused 4

On 1/12/2024 at 9:24 AM, Tug said:

Old Donnie is being run out of his home town on a rail not allowed to do business in NY getting fined north of 300 million I wonder if he’s tired of winning yet!

You've already seen the judge's ruling that hasn't yet been made?

• Like 1
  • Confused 5