Rise of the Machines (ATM's)

Just a bit of a warning.

In the last few weeks there seems to be an increase in the dreaded 'ATM eating the cards'.

This week alone, three guests have reported card losses and asked for our help in getting them back.

Most seem to be ATM's for Krungsri Bank. All in different locations. (Bangrak, Maenam and Chaweng.)

In my infrequent trips to the bank I have seen tourists at the desk trying to have their cards returned, and about a month ago, two different ATM's, that I use regularly, refused my card and told me to 'go to my branch'.

Has anyone out there encountered this problem.

• Like 2
  • Confused 3

1 minute ago, KhunLA said:

All it takes is 1 eaten card to learn that lesson (been there, done that), a few decades ago.  Most should know that by now, and experienced it, at our ages.  

I've had to go in the branches here/TH and retrieve a few here in the past 20+ yrs.  Another reason you should carry your PP with you.

More good info.  Thx

When I worked in Thailand, getting a replacement K-Bank card was fast and easy (though I never had one eaten).  I never really thought about the implications of losing an int'l card, but getting anything delivered from "back home" has been hit and miss, especially since I've become a reluctant nomad this year.  Tough to nail down how to intersect with an int'l delivery.  And I never really considered it, until now.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

On 1/12/2024 at 9:30 AM, Tropicalevo said:

This week alone, three guests have reported card losses and asked for our help in getting them back.

I take it you're a hotel worker/owner that has an ATM in the lobby?  If that machine is eating cards on a semi-regular basis, I'd say get that ATM cleaned/checked out, it's bad for your business. 

1 hour ago, Lacessit said:

They should have been able to issue you with a new card on the spot. That's ridiculous.

Or recovered the card from the machine, as it wasn’t retained as a result of 3 incorrect PINs. After a long absence from Thailand and consequent expiration of my Bangkok

Bank debit card, I was surprised that they issued me with a new card on the spot with no prior notification by me, previously thought the cards were made in a special factory somewhere.

3 hours ago, khunPer said:

Doesn't help if it's SCB and not on a Friday. The ATM digested my SCB card in front of the SCB branch in Central. I went inside and a member of the staff had the key and was ready to get out and find my card. However, the branch manager saw it and stopped him, saying that they only open the ATM on Fridays – unfortunately it was Tuesday, so I had to come back after Friday with my passport to collect my card...:whistling:

You really can't plan your budget more than a few days, and leave it to the last minute.  If I don't 1-200k in the house, something is wrong.    

What the manager (and a-hole) told you is BS.  Should have just told him your flying out tomorrow & need it.  A lowly staff member was going to retrieve it, and the manager stopped him ... think about that one.   They have a key for a reason.

• Agree 2

2 hours ago, bbko said:

I take it you're a hotel worker/owner that has an ATM in the lobby?  If that machine is eating cards on a semi-regular basis, I'd say get that ATM cleaned/checked out, it's bad for your business. 

Wrong. No hotel.

The ATM's were all in different locations on the island.

On 1/12/2024 at 9:30 AM, Tropicalevo said:

Most seem to be ATM's for Krungsri Bank. All in different locations. (Bangrak, Maenam and Chaweng.)

23 minutes ago, The Old Bull said:

still it beats fiddling with a card.

Not if you have fat fingers like me. Phone keyboards are the bane of my life.

I have one finger that has been surgically reattached and it takes on a life of its own when near a phone keyboard.  :wacko:

• Like 1

I had my ATM card eaten in a branch of BB         I had to go home to get my PP as this seems to be 

bank rules            Pictures and paperwork are important.           I Think it has to do with pulling your card after the transaction

If you accidently bump the card it goes back in the machine  I think

• Thanks 1

On 1/13/2024 at 4:19 PM, KhunLA said:

What the manager (and a-hole) told you is BS.  Should have just told him your flying out tomorrow & need it.  A lowly staff member was going to retrieve it, and the manager stopped him ... think about that one.   They have a key for a reason.

Normally the banks are very kind; branch manager was probably either new on Samui – I had not seen her before – and following head office rules, or she just had a bad day...:whistling:

I luckily wisely have several plastic cards from two different Thai banks, plus my foreign cards...:thumbsup:

• Like 1