BMW / MERCEDES "SUNROOF "

33 RPM

3 minutes ago, Ralf001 said:
33 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Which modern ICE car does not have a cooling fan that continues to operate after the ignition has been turned off (if the engine is hot) ???

Name one...  

My post included pickups and SUV's.

So  basically all rear wheel drive Thai built ones.

Is that so ???....    modern Thai built pickups and SUV's... (i.e. Toyota Fortuna, Ford Everest / Toyota Hilux, Isuzu D-Max etc)... don't have a cooling fan that stays on after the ignition is turned off ??...

Which ones ????

I think you are thinking about 'quite old' vehicles, that had an inline mounted engine (as opposed to a transversely mounted engine) and the cooling fan was connected (mounted) to the front.

What are you driving around in... a rot i-taen ???  

14 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Is that so ???....    modern Thai built pickups and SUV's... (i.e. Toyota Fortuna, Ford Everest / Toyota Hilux, Isuzu D-Max etc)... don't have a cooling fan that stays on after the ignition is turned off ??...

Which ones ????

I think you are thinking about 'quite old' vehicles, that had an inline mounted engine (as opposed to a transversely mounted engine) and the cooling fan was connected (mounted) to the front.

What are you driving around in... a rot i-taen ???  

2020 Ranger.

2021 Hilux.

2021 Everest.

I know for fact only have engine driven fans.

I will check the work hack 2023 Ranger and Everest tomorrow.

2 minutes ago, Ralf001 said:

2020 Ranger.

2021 Hilux.

2021 Everest.

I know for fact only have engine driven fans.

I will check the work hack 2023 Ranger and Everest tomorrow.

Engine driven....  but does that mean the cooling fan 'only' works when the engine is in operation ????

Or, even though cooling the fan is 'primarily' engine driven, it also has a motor which engages when trigged by the thermostat when the engine is turned off... 

• Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Give me one modern ICE car that does not ????

A black-cart horse will overheat more readily than a white cart horse when towing your wares from the shire to the local market...  thats the antiquated level you seem to be discussing this topic at....  as I asked, do you have a 1970's Datsun... Well, not quite, just an 18 year old Toyota... 

But really, are you for real.....    The Op is talking about a new BMW or Mercedees and you are brining up an 18 year old crappy toyota to justify your claims....  Again...  its rather desperate. 

I get what you mean about 'environmental degradation' of changeable parts - but, the temperature differential between a dark and light car is between 5 and 9 degrees C....  

Quoting irrelevant laws, paint chemists is pointless when engine blocks get up to and beyond 100°C...   so a 5-9°C temperature differential at the 40°C makr (between light and dark) when parked is insignificant.

Do you intend to paint your engine block white as well !!!...  ???

I get your point if you are discussion something that is only capable of operating within very fine temperature margins...but not cars. 

If you want to squeeze an extra 6 months out of your 3 month battery, and maximising the 'rubber' components of your vehicle well beyond their recommended maintenance dates that leaves me wondering how many times your car breaks down because of a blown gasket, blown rubber coolant hose etc... 

The whole discussion is completely ridiculous, hilarious and rather desperate in a cant see the forest for the trees kind of way.... 

Did you not see the shadow of a banana tree reflected in the bonnet of the Toyota?

What is desperate about my posts? Noted you were not prepared to argue the point about black cars getting dirtier quicker.

Just because I think differently to you. does not mean I am wrong or antiquated. I daresay I am smarter than people who buy new, expensive cars to impress friends, relatives and neighbors.

FYI. the Vios is coming up to 200,000 km on the odometer, has been all over northern Thailand, and has never let me down. Toyota must hate that model, they just keep on going.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

FYI. the Vios is coming up to 200,000 km on the odometer, has been all over northern Thailand, and has never let me down.

200000km isn’t much for a Toyota. I had a 4Runner v6 4L in the US with nearly 400000 miles, 600000km and never had a problem with it, Toyotas are hard to kill.

15 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

Did you not see the shadow of a banana tree reflected in the bonnet of the Toyota?

Parking in the shade - far more effective than the colour of a car. 

What is desperate about my posts? Noted you were not prepared to argue the point about black cars getting dirtier quicker.

Nope....  my argument isn't that one colour is better than the other.. so the dirt point is irrelevant to the discussion. 

My arguement is against the daft and desperate justification being used...  Its as daft as the 'nitrogen in car tyres' discussion.... 

Just because I think differently to you. does not mean I am wrong or antiquated. I daresay I am smarter than people who buy new, expensive cars to impress friends, relatives and neighbors.

I don't think your arguments are 'technically' wrong...    just that the difference is insignificant enough to render them pointless. 

If you are judging the intelligence of others based on the age of their car I dare say your comment couldn't be further from the truth. 

Additionally, you have judged the 'character' of others [pretentious ( Rhymes with anchors)] based on whether they have a sunroof or not, which kind of further doubt surrounding your self proclaimed 'smarter than others' comment !!!!... 

FYI. the Vios is coming up to 200,000 km on the odometer, has been all over northern Thailand, and has never let me down. Toyota must hate that model, they just keep on going.

Awesome to have a reliable car, congratulations....   the banana tree's have clearly done it a great service. 

I daresay I am smarter than people who buy new, expensive cars to impress friends, relatives and neighbors.

Did you get it in gold to impress friends, relatives and neighbours??? :giggle:

(see what I did there ?)... 

How does your 'older car' fare in crash-tests against these newer cars you think less intelligent people buy ????? 

Edited by richard_smith237

34 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Its as daft as the 'nitrogen in car tyres' discussion.... 

Yes, that's most ridiculous "upgrade" for road cars, much better is what I do - helium in my cars' tyres because it's lighter than air and nitrogen which means more mpg, less wear on the tyres and better acceleration and top speed.  It also draws heat from the car interior so helps keep dark-coloured cars cooler. 

• Haha 1

On 1/13/2024 at 3:49 PM, 33 RPM said:

Apart from buying a black car which hears up like nobody's business, so many BMW and MERCEDES have a Sunroof

just to add am extra 10 degrees or more

Its crazy, well in this climate , it is to me.

if any of you own a BMW or Mercedes, do you know , or can it be done to retro fit something to shut off the Sunroof, and have you had it done,

Successfully ?

Yes  i know i can visit a " dealer " to ask, but i might try here first

If you’re going to have the vehicle repainted then you may as well deal with the sunroof at the same time, they can cut it out and tack weld sheet metal, bondo then paint. Saman Kanchan in the tasatoi, watket area should be able to do it. Though an original replacement headliner may be an issue 

3 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Parking in the shade - far more effective than the colour of a car. 

Nope....  my argument isn't that one colour is better than the other.. so the dirt point is irrelevant to the discussion. 

My arguement is against the daft and desperate justification being used...  Its as daft as the 'nitrogen in car tyres' discussion.... 

I don't think your arguments are 'technically' wrong...    just that the difference is insignificant enough to render them pointless. 

If you are judging the intelligence of others based on the age of their car I dare say your comment couldn't be further from the truth. 

Additionally, you have judged the 'character' of others [pretentious ( Rhymes with anchors)] based on whether they have a sunroof or not, which kind of further doubt surrounding your self proclaimed 'smarter than others' comment !!!!... 

Awesome to have a reliable car, congratulations....   the banana tree's have clearly done it a great service. 

Did you get it in gold to impress friends, relatives and neighbours??? :giggle:

(see what I did there ?)... 

How does your 'older car' fare in crash-tests against these newer cars you think less intelligent people buy ????? 

I don't think of it as gold, more as sand-colored.

Obviously the Vios would not fare well in crash tests against newer cars. The point is to drive so one does not have to put crash-worthiness to the test.

In over 60 years of driving, I have yet to hit anyone with a vehicle. My accidents in Australia have invariably been from someone rear-ending me, or T-boning me when I have had right of way.

Thailand is not the only country with incompetent and drunk drivers.

The Vios does not have ABS or airbags. No stability control, GPS or adaptive cruise control. IMO we are getting too dependent on all the fruit salad.

I have driven it for about 8 years here without an accident, so I must be doing something right.

BTW, parking in the shade under a tree is an invitation for the tree itself or birds to ruin paintwork.

Edited by Lacessit

13 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

I don't think of it as gold, more as sand-colored.

& the Ginger Jonny down the road calls himself 'strawberry blond' but still stinks of pee !!

Obviously the Vios would not fare well in crash tests against newer cars. The point is to drive so one does not have to put crash-worthiness to the test.

I think you're point below highlights the flaw in the comment above. 

In over 60 years of driving, I have yet to hit anyone with a vehicle. My accidents in Australia have invariably been from someone rear-ending me, or T-boning me when I have had right of way.

Thailand is not the only country with incompetent and drunk drivers.

The Vios does not have ABS or airbags. No stability control, GPS or adaptive cruise control. IMO we are getting too dependent on all the fruit salad.

I agree...  lets put our loved ones and those around us at greater risk because we believe we're better drivers than we actually are !!!

I have driven it for about 8 years here without an accident, so I must be doing something right.

Yep... all you... nothing to do with blind luck that others have missed you...

I've driven here for over 20 years... 3 accidents - of course, none my fault (two of them were in a car park and I was stationary !).

BTW, parking in the shade under a tree is an invitation for the tree itself or birds to ruin paintwork.

On this we agree....   Does your Banana plant spew out gunk ?

2 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

& the Ginger Jonny down the road calls himself 'strawberry blond' but still stinks of pee !!

I think you're point below highlights the flaw in the comment above. 

I agree...  lets put our loved ones and those around us at greater risk because we believe we're better drivers than we actually are !!!

Yep... all you... nothing to do with blind luck that others have missed you...

I've driven here for over 20 years... 3 accidents - of course, none my fault (two of them were in a car park and I was stationary !).

On this we agree....   Does your Banana plant spew out gunk ?

You make some valid points.

I am quite confident I am a far more skilled driver than the vast majority of drivers here, and that comment is not just based on my driving record.

I have driven in all kinds of conditions, flooded dirt roads, corrugations that would shake your teeth out, even some snow in New Zealand.

I've done quite a lot of off-road driving on rural properties as well.

About 50 years ago, I got my first company car. One had to pass a defensive driving course before being given the keys.

3 hours ago, novacova said:

200000km isn’t much for a Toyota. I had a 4Runner v6 4L in the US with nearly 400000 miles, 600000km and never had a problem with it, Toyotas are hard to kill.

While I agree with you, you are talking about 4 litres of V6 against 1.5 litres of Vios. The V6 is barely breaking a sweat.

Not that the Vios has  much more to do, 100 km/hr at 2100 rpm.

38 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

You make some valid points.

Its been an interesting debate... 

I am quite confident I am a far more skilled driver than the vast majority of drivers here, and that comment is not just based on my driving record.

Dunning Kruger effect...   

Also, when surveyed 50% of men believed they could land an Aircraft !!!...

Statistically, half of the drivers are better than the other half !!... 

Realistically, though I agree with you, especially in Thailand where the concept of consequence is somewhat absent. 

I have driven in all kinds of conditions, flooded dirt roads, corrugations that would shake your teeth out, even some snow in New Zealand.

I've done quite a lot of off-road driving on rural properties as well.

About 50 years ago, I got my first company car. One had to pass a defensive driving course before being given the keys.

I do believe that in Thailand the skill of being able to predict the unpredictability of what could unfold in front of us aids us in avoiding the majority of accidents...    Truly understanding at an instinctual level the utter flukwittery that can happen at any second keeps us watching out - as you point out, that instinct matters more than the safety of a vehicle (although I place very high priority on the safety of a vehicle too).

The young Thai lads on Motorcycles can handle their machines very well and are much more skilled riders than many Westerners, however, their flaw is described above... their propensity for utter flukwittery, the same goes for many drivers, particularly those guys driving 'works pickups' (delivery pickups etc and of course van drivers).

52 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

While I agree with you, you are talking about 4 litres of V6 against 1.5 litres of Vios. The V6 is barely breaking a sweat.

Not that the Vios has  much more to do, 100 km/hr at 2100 rpm.

There are probably more functional dilapidated Toyotas on earths roads than any other make, at least I see more than any other make.

30 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Its been an interesting debate... 

Dunning Kruger effect...   

Also, when surveyed 50% of men believed they could land an Aircraft !!!...

Statistically, half of the drivers are better than the other half !!... 

Realistically, though I agree with you, especially in Thailand where the concept of consequence is somewhat absent. 

I do believe that in Thailand the skill of being able to predict the unpredictability of what could unfold in front of us aids us in avoiding the majority of accidents...    Truly understanding at an instinctual level the utter flukwittery that can happen at any second keeps us watching out - as you point out, that instinct matters more than the safety of a vehicle (although I place very high priority on the safety of a vehicle too).

The young Thai lads on Motorcycles can handle their machines very well and are much more skilled riders than many Westerners, however, their flaw is described above... their propensity for utter flukwittery, the same goes for many drivers, particularly those guys driving 'works pickups' (delivery pickups etc and of course van drivers).

I remember getting my motorbike license in Australia at age 68. A  comprehensive written and practical test, with a very strong emphasis on threat assessment.

When I got my Thai scooter license, it consisted of a medical certificate, and being able to identify the colors of a traffic light.

I agree some Thai drivers are quite skilled; however, they drive too fast when they shouldn't, and many think rear vision mirrors are for squeezing pimples and applying makeup.

I have flown an light aircraft for about an hour. I am quite sure I could not land one.

13 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Engine driven....  but does that mean the cooling fan 'only' works when the engine is in operation ????

Or, even though cooling the fan is 'primarily' engine driven, it also has a motor which engages when trigged by the thermostat when the engine is turned off... 

Correct, the engine spins the fan.

When engine not running... there is no fan !

• Sad 1