Container From Uk To Thailand

Hope that this is the right place to post...

I am looking at bringing in books from the UK and figure that this will come to about 100kg+ (books), so figure that this means a small or shared sea container. Has anyone any info on this/who is good from the UK - I would probably want them to pack for me in the UK before sending. Speed is probably not of the essence, though I guess that going the sea route means that anyway!!!

Also, does anyone have info as what happens when it gets to BKK - any idea of costs/procedure for clearance from the port etc. In this case, they would be english language books.

At present, I have a non o b visa with the view of setting up a small business here, so again in terms of release from the port what might one need to show - I have not as yet set up said business....

Thanks for help in advance

danc

I signed for a container full of furniture as a favour for a friend, who was working in Hong Kong and couldn't get back in time. She sorted an agent in Bangkok.

All I had to show was my passport. Took about 2 days.

As far as I remember there were two payments - can't remember the amounts now, but I remember both payments were similar sums.

One was official - a receipt was given.

The other payment..... no receipt was given for this, and I was told by the agent to pay up or else there could be trouble.

My friend asked me to pay up on her behalf.

So be prepared.

Makes me wonder if there was some arrangement between the official and the agent ?

I signed for a container full of furniture as a favour for a friend, who was working in Hong Kong and couldn't get back in time. She sorted an agent in Bangkok.

All I had to show was my passport. Took about 2 days.

As far as I remember there were two payments - can't remember the amounts now, but I remember both payments were similar sums.

One was official - a receipt was given.

The other payment..... no receipt was given for this, and I was told by the agent to pay up or else there could be trouble.

My friend asked me to pay up on her behalf.

So be prepared.

Yep, that's what I thought..

After getting back, I spoke to a friend who went through the same thing.

They paid two charges - one with receipt and one without.

Nothing they could do about it, either pay or get trouble.

I think it's called extortion.