Thaksin Should Be Released: Editorial

webfact

5 hours ago, lordgrinz said:

There, fixed it for you.

That must be your opinion only.

IMO Thaksin should be freed immediately, given a billion baht as compensation, and ALL the generals involved in ALL the coups should  be executed for treason.

There, I fixed it for you.

After all, that is only my opinion and is equal in worth to your opinion.

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1
  • Agree 1

5 hours ago, webfact said:

In the complex tapestry of Thai politics, the case of Thaksin Shinawatra stands out not just for its high drama but for its implications on the principles of justice and democracy

What?

"It is a decision about the kind of democracy Thailand aspires to be—one where the rule of law prevails over political maneuvering. For the sake of our nation’s democratic integrity and commitment to justice, Thaksin should be released."

What an astonishing statement but unsurprising due the political orientation of Thai Enquirer's ownership.  Quite the opposite is true. Thaksin a common criminal convicted of corruption who deserves to serve his full sentence. His treatment since returning home and stealing of the election by his party represents a supreme triumph of political maneuvering over democratic integrity and justice. 

• Thumbs Up 2

6 hours ago, Tropicalevo said:

The people did decide.

Thaksin was voted in by the people.

The military decided that they knew better than the people and Thailand has gone downhill ever since.

It would be lovely to see the GDP growth plotted from 2020 with Thaksin, through the juntas, and Democrats and to see the only really bright spots were Thaksin's premiership and Yingluck's which was modest upturn after the 2007/8 financial catastrophe.

• Confused 1

43 minutes ago, Dogmatix said:

"It is a decision about the kind of democracy Thailand aspires to be—one where the rule of law prevails over political maneuvering. For the sake of our nation’s democratic integrity and commitment to justice, Thaksin should be released."

What an astonishing statement but unsurprising due the political orientation of Thai Enquirer's ownership.  Quite the opposite is true. Thaksin a common criminal convicted of corruption who deserves to serve his full sentence. His treatment since returning home and stealing of the election by his party represents a supreme triumph of political maneuvering over democratic integrity and justice. 

A smear by you, possibly of honourable people. Shame on you. They might believe in Thaksin, I know I do. 

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

17 minutes ago, TheFishman1 said:

His plan worked out just like he expected. I’m waiting there when his sister is coming back corruption top to bottom. Amazing Thailand, TIT.

How did Prayuth's 9 years of corruption eradication work out?

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

7 hours ago, herfiehandbag said:

I share your aspirations - but would not bank on some sort of "Senate" still being around. Far too useful.

I am sure they will want that and will try hard - but even if it does get to stay, I doubt that the Senators will mainly be appointed by the PM (elected at the next elections?).  

• Like 1

9 hours ago, GarryP said:

I'd rather not have him influence anything. He never has worked for the interests of the people and never will. Yes, there were some good changes under his rule, particularly letting the upcountry folks know that their voices mattered, but I believe that was done out of self-interest. Like the digital 10k scheme PT is touting, which is pretty much a "legal" vote buying scheme.

I am not saying that he was definitely guilty of the charges brought against him, but if they let him free, they should let all those political prisoners free too, people for the most part who just stated their opinion. It is clearly a two tier justice system and this needs to stop. The same treatment for all is needed.      

I agree - as long as it does not include the people who broke laws about insulting certain person/family. That is a separate issue and needs to be handled with kid gloves only when things have become politically stable. Otherwise the risk is more riots and deaths, and then another Junta coup. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

From the linked article:

'It would imply that our legal system can be manipulated by those in power to serve political ends, thereby undermining the very foundation of our democracy'

I would argue that this sorry travesty grandly illustrates that not only those in power can make a monkey of the country but also convicts with money can make a mockery of the rule of law, democracy and justice and thereby undermining Thai democracy. Same same but different...

Edited by mark131v

On 1/18/2024 at 12:40 PM, TroubleandGrumpy said:

Yes - but they got close last time and with the Senate being 'removed' in May, it is likely the next election will be closer to what the people want (which IMO is no more Juntas).

Personally I think that is the key part of why Thaksin is free I reckon he has sold that one down the river and PTT won't argue when the senators get elected again for another term

The man has sold himself and his followers down the swanny for his own ends with no thought to what's right or wrong for the country and his supporters. I hope I am wrong but I reckon the senators ain't going anywhere...

• Agree 1

6 hours ago, billd766 said:

How did Prayuth's 9 years of corruption eradication work out?

Prayuth and the junta will carry on enriching themselves as if nothing has happened because the deal has been done

The only chance of a reset was MFP but Thaksin and PTT put their own enrichment above resetting Thailand so no point sounding off about Little P the watchman and all the others as Thaksins homecoming put paid to any chance of justice happening. All bought and paid for

'I will never get in bed with the junta' oh really you reckon... 

Edited by mark131v
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 1/18/2024 at 9:36 AM, TroubleandGrumpy said:

I agree - let him out on parole - conditional.  It seems to me he is not after 'revenge' and that is a good thing and will help the country move forward after all the military coups this century. Same for his sister - it was all political. Let the people decide who is in charge. 

Ridiculous 

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, billd766 said:

IMHO nothing WILL change until the military and the police are finally and firmly kicked out of politics completely, emasculated by a purge of the "senior" generals, and sent back to their barracks.

I 100% agree but can you really not see that nothing has changed?

They had one chance and it was blown by Thaksin and pheu Thai. They put getting Tony back and the chance to get back to the trough above all else

Anutin and drug dealer still at the top table, no meaningful reorganization of the military, no end of conscription

Submarines still on the table, record prison sentences for lese mageste. Neverending persecution of anyone who dissents and wants to reset the wrongs of the past

No prosecution for PAD and closing the airports yet any chance to prosecute anybody who disagreed with the powers that be absolutely smashed to the eleventh degree 

Senators still calling the shots, the judiciary and corrections department an even bigger laughing stock. The complete and utter contempt shown to the people of Thailand by all the establishment. The complete laughing stock that Thailand have shown themselves to be to the whole world

You get the government you deserve and Thailand have got this lot, better than public junta probably but actually anyone who looks can see bugger all has changed and the will of the people has been roundly ignored....

Edited by mark131v
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

On 1/18/2024 at 9:04 AM, mfd101 said:

Yes, I entirely agree with this article.

You can disagree with all or some of his politics and his actions when in power but that doesn't mean he should be sentenced as a criminal. If you continue down that path, there's a very long list of politicians and former politicians and generals and former generals who should all be in prison. Selective raking over the coals doesn't help the country move forward.

Grow up, Thailand, move on!

Yes other politicians have broken the law and should be charged and if guilty punished, and if appropriate to the crime by a jail sentence.

Same applies to Thaksin. This report deliberately goes close to suggesting he was the victim of political games and left. That's not true. He broke several serious laws and organized for a vast amount of Thai taxpayers funds to the loaned to a rogue government so that gov't could buy his products. (Several bankers still doing time for this event.)

He wasn't convicted ina kangaroo court, he was convicted by proper fair trial with lots of evidence of wrongdoing.

He should be in jail. 

Now we have this report labelled as an 'Editorial by Webfact' (whoever Webfact is). 

Given the facts Inappropriate to be an editorial. 

Edited by scorecard
  • Haha 1
  • Agree 1