Thailand’s discovery of lithium deposit brings with it tough questions

webfact

"Thailand’s discovery of lithium deposit brings with it tough questions"  I doubt if the questions will be tough. The answers, however maybe what the jurno is refering to.

7 hours ago, herfiehandbag said:

They can either carefully extract the stuff, minimising the environmental damage, and investing in sustainable industrial development which will transform the nations automotive industry. Or they can sell the rights to extract it, and allow China to strip it out as quickly as possible and leave a devastated lunar landscape. I wonder which

Look no farther than Bolivia for the answer to your question.

The government wanted to control the extraction and use the vast wealth for the benefit of the citizens, much to the chagrin of foreign multinationals.  Suddenly there was a coup, the elected government was deposed, and a new government that was open to "foreign investment" was installed..err...elected. 

• Like 1

Went from a good find, for TH & battery industry, to ecological disaster, to now a coup :cheesy:

The sun just doesn't shine in some folk's world :coffee1:

Half of us will probably be dead before 1 kg is taken out of the ground.   Environment report, bidding for rights, protest against, court/appeal/appeal, more bidding, then ground breaking for mining.

Price dropped so far due to worldwide abundance, nobody interested in mining till other reserves dry up.   How long die it take to get potash out of the ground in NE TH.

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, webfact said:

brings with it both immense potential and profound challenges.

they don't have the means and/or the knowledge to exploit it, big brother Xi will finance the operations, same with fast train, after all Thailand is the 23rd province of China

• Like 1

Call me cynical, but doesn't this sound like every mining stock pump and dump? 

Announce a great find, pump up the stock, then cash out before the suckers...  How many times has that played out just in recent history, never mind over the last century.

• Agree 2

21 minutes ago, impulse said:

Call me cynical, but doesn't this sound like every mining stock pump and dump? 

Announce a great find, pump up the stock, then cash out before the suckers...  How many times has that played out just in recent history, never mind over the last century.

My favourite quote on Mining stocks is that if there was anything there they wouldn't be touting it on the exchange they would be negotiating terms in mahogany paneled board rooms.

• Like 1

Oops.

Government Deputy spokesperson Ratklao Intawong retracted her claims made yesterday that 14.8 million tonnes of #lithium has been discovered, making #Thailand the third largest country with known deposits and a potential hub for lithium batteries production for EVs.

She said the figure is inaccurate but Thailand should have enough lithium deposits in Phang Nga province to produce one million lithium batteries for EVs. She added on Saturday  she merely want to break good news to Thai people.

#WhatsHappeningInThailand 
#ev #lithiumbatteries

Khasod English FB

• Haha 2