Just picked up my new UK passport from BKK.......

....and don't want to get caught out by Thai officialdom.

Could someone be kind enough to list what I must now do, if anything?

I've recently completed my 90 day report based on my 'old' passport and have a my application for an extension based on marriage coming up mid-Feb. I have a five year driving license, but no yellow book or pink card......oh and I have a Thai bank account of course.

Cheers.

Best to transfer it over to the new passport, based on what happened to me they transfer your extension and most recent entry stamp into the new passport.

Then you will need to go and do the new extension which should be straight forward. I did not do both of these things at the same time but maybe that's possible depending on where you are and how many hours you want to waste sitting in a tourist filled immigration department.

As for my driving license, I did nothing - I'm not going to that place until the full 6 years are up.

I did however update my bank with the new passport details as I had also moved address some 5 years prior and figured I could kill 2 birds with one stone.

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

49 minutes ago, mokwit said:

Basically the process as described on Richard Barrows website amongst others but be advised you now have to have a new TM30 filed because of the change in passport number which it seemingly has to match.

See.....I never thought of that....cheers.

• Agree 1

52 minutes ago, ukrules said:

Best to transfer it over to the new passport, based on what happened to me they transfer your extension and most recent entry stamp into the new passport.

Then you will need to go and do the new extension which should be straight forward. I did not do both of these things at the same time but maybe that's possible depending on where you are and how many hours you want to waste sitting in a tourist filled immigration department.

As for my driving license, I did nothing - I'm not going to that place until the full 6 years are up.

I did however update my bank with the new passport details as I had also moved address some 5 years prior and figured I could kill 2 birds with one stone.

Did you have to go to your 'own' branch to do that.....or will any branch do?

Edited by Will B Good

16 minutes ago, Will B Good said:

If you mean bank branch, any branch will do.

I just updated my passport number about 2 weeks ago and I havent set foot in my original branch for at least 10 years.

They also printed out an annual statement for me on the spot, 200 Baht, I have seen others saying that it takes them a week, so depends on which bank.

• Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, Will B Good said:

I did go to the local Hua Hin immigration office, the main one, not the satellite office in Bluport which was staffed only with 'deputies' which is how they described themselves.

Also, on the subject of 90 day reports I do believe I was issued a new one. Now in Hua Hin you don't need to fill ouy any kind of form to do a 90 day report - you just hand over the passport, say 90 day report and they print it out.

So I have no idea if it can be done at another branch.

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, ukrules said:

how many hours you want to waste sitting in a tourist filled immigration department

I doubt that many tourists visit the immigration office. Most are here and gone within a couple of weeks. Why would they 'fill' immigration offices?

• Haha 2

14 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

I doubt that many tourists visit the immigration office. Most are here and gone within a couple of weeks. Why would they 'fill' immigration offices?

It's simple, I live in Hua Hin. They come here for months and pretty much all of them do extension of stays.

The immigration offices here are empty in the summer and packed full in high season, you know - when the tourists come.

Edited by ukrules
  • Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, ukrules said:

It's simple, I live in Hua Hin. They come here for months and pretty much all of them do extension of stays.

The immigration offices here are empty in the summer and packed full in high season, you know - when the tourists come.

Okay. But maybe tourists isn't the right term. Those who stay for months and months are more like part-time residents. But then, immigration does have difficulty with terms - retirement extensions for those who don't have to be retired, permission to 'visit' your wife, for example. 

18 hours ago, Will B Good said:

....and don't want to get caught out by Thai officialdom.

Could someone be kind enough to list what I must now do, if anything?

I've recently completed my 90 day report based on my 'old' passport and have a my application for an extension based on marriage coming up mid-Feb. I have a five year driving license, but no yellow book or pink card......oh and I have a Thai bank account of course.

Cheers.

The only thing you should do is go to the bank and change the passport, otherwise it would have to be done at the bank before you get the docs for your extension. Banks vary but I was about 45 minutes to change passport and the bank was empty.

You don't need to have stamps transferred beforehand, only a convenience if you have significant time remaining on extension. Just do the extension with both passports, they will create an entry stamp in the new passport and then the under consideration stamp.

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, The Cyclist said:

They also printed out an annual statement for me on the spot, 200 Baht, I have seen others saying that it takes them a week, so depends on which bank.

Bangkok Bank is the only one I know that needs 7 to 10 days for a 12 month statement, 6 months can be done on the spot. I use SCB for my statement for Immigration and they do 12 months on the spot along with the ownership letter.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, mokwit said:

Basically the process as described on Richard Barrows website amongst others but be advised you now have to have a new TM30 filed because of the change in passport number which it seemingly has to match.

I got a new OZ PP last year and never had to file a new TM30 as such, that was just done when I made my new extension, but yes you need to change passport details at your bank.

DL. I will find out when I go for a new one in 2 years. lol

• Like 1

1 minute ago, brianthainess said:

I got a new OZ PP last year and never had to file a new TM30 as such, that was just done when I made my new extension, but yes you need to change passport details at your bank.

DL. I will find out when I go for a new one in 2 years. lol

OK what I meant was that you won't be able to make an extension or get any other service with a new passport without a new TM30 filed. I wasn't suggesting that if you didn't file a new TM30 within a few days you would end up in a photograph sitting on a plastic chair with 6 IO's pointing at you.

• Haha 1

I entered with my new UK passport last October, my extension of stay was in my old passport. I presented both and was stamped in my new passport. A few weeks later I visited Jomtien immigration to have the stamps transferred to my new passport. In December I did my 90 day report online with my new passport, which was approved. I have an old TM30 registered from about 7 years ago, at no stage have I been asked to do a new one.

Edited by jimn
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, sandyf said:

The only thing you should do is go to the bank and change the passport, otherwise it would have to be done at the bank before you get the docs for your extension. Banks vary but I was about 45 minutes to change passport and the bank was empty.

You don't need to have stamps transferred beforehand, only a convenience if you have significant time remaining on extension. Just do the extension with both passports, they will create an entry stamp in the new passport and then the under consideration stamp.

I don't think that I advised the bank when I renewed my passport. As far as I can recall I don't think the passport has any relevance to the bank letter for Immigration. I could be wrong but I don't remember seeing the passport number quoted anywhere.

Edited by hotandsticky
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, sandyf said:

The only thing you should do is go to the bank and change the passport, otherwise it would have to be done at the bank before you get the docs for your extension.

No passport number on the bank letter (at least with Krung Sri).  And no problem getting the letter with a mismatching passport.

That said, the bank will be notified at some point to avoid service delays in the future.

• Like 1

Next problem......in anticipation of potential problems decided to update the TM30......didn't realise the whole system changed/went down last September and all details were dumped.

Anyway, finally got the wife registered on the new system, tried to fill in the address.....no go.

Every box is filled in (even long and lat'), but when I click send I just get insufficient data or missing data (something like that).......any ideas anyone?

Normally at the bank you need to show your PP for any *transactions*, and they check that with the copy they have.

Also if you keep a copy of PP on your phone, then you need to change that along with a photo of your new extension.

Edited by brianthainess
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Will B Good said:

Next problem......in anticipation of potential problems decided to update the TM30......didn't realise the whole system changed/went down last September and all details were dumped.

Anyway, finally got the wife registered on the new system, tried to fill in the address.....no go.

Every box is filled in (even long and lat'), but when I click send I just get insufficient data or missing data (something like that).......any ideas anyone?

Solved!

Just uploaded the files they had ask me to upload on the previous page on the very next page????? Mad.

2 hours ago, Will B Good said:

Solved!

Just uploaded the files they had ask me to upload on the previous page on the very next page????? Mad.

You might be best advised to include a completed version of the following form along with all the other docs needed for your next marriage extension application in any event:

https://www.immigration.go.th/wp-content/uploads/2022/10/22.Transfer-Stamp-to-New-Passport-Form.pdf

2 and 8 on the second page can safely be ignored, I think.

Nothing can beat the madness of the dreaded With-It Tower Passport Renewal Experience for us Brits at passport renewal time, I think, not even anything which the Immigration Bureau might throw at us! :angry:

Edited by OJAS
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, hotandsticky said:

I don't think that I advised the bank when I renewed my passport. As far as I can recall I don't think the passport has any relevance to the bank letter for Immigration. I could be wrong but I don't remember seeing the passport number quoted anywhere.

It way well vary from bank to bank. The only time I ever go to a bank, other than getting a new passport, is on the way to immigration and they won't think about doing anything until they see the passport. Just like immigration I end up signing multiple copies of the passport, they need one for every service carried out. I really should remember to do the bank book update at the machine, would save one.

I have two accounts with the bank and this last time changed both at the same branch.  Last time I got a new passport I had to go to both branches. This is the 4th passport I have had since coming in 2008.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, OJAS said:

You might be best advised to include a completed version of the following form along with all the other docs needed for your next marriage extension application in any event:

https://www.immigration.go.th/wp-content/uploads/2022/10/22.Transfer-Stamp-to-New-Passport-Form.pdf

2 and 8 on the second page can safely be ignored, I think.

Nothing can beat the madness of the dreaded With-It Tower Passport Renewal Experience for us Brits at passport renewal time, I think, not even anything which the Immigration Bureau might throw at us! :angry:

Wow....thanks for that