Raja Carpark - You Shall Not Pass

scoutman360

On 1/20/2024 at 2:11 PM, scoutman360 said:

I was thrilled to see the passthrough open again between Soi 4 and Soi 2 at the Raja Hotel carpark. It is a convenient shortcut to some favorite spots down soi 2. The excitement faded when I was nearly 50 ft from soi 2 and stopped by security. "Where are you going? You cannot." 

Needless to say, the restaurants, hotels, bars in that passthrough won't be getting any business from me anymore. I feel bad for the other businesses in soi 2 that will not see returned customers either due to the inconvenience imposed by these silly rules.

Were you just walking or with car/bike/bicycle?

In the past I did never had issues while walking, cycling or riding Mototaxi though Raja by the Som Tam or the Mexican restaurant  - unlike the Shama passage where the guard on Soi 4 by the ATM was more strict and annoying expecially if coming from Soi 2 to Soi 4 even just walking.

With car I understand - they might ask for a park fee or be very strict like Hotel Parinda in the past. Having said this, the main road opening at the end of Soi 4 is very useful to move around soi 4 and soi 2.

10 hours ago, Will B Good said:

You'd have thought the soi 2 traders....the Marriot in particular, could come to some arrangement.....it was a handy little cut through. 

Agree. I have a few favorite food joints I used to visit frequently on Soi 2 before covid and the passthrough closing for hotel renovation. I am not interested in walking the long way around to get to them now. 

Someone could make a comical Youtube video watching the security guards running amuck trying to stop everyone, and following them around to see if they are going the full walk or just popping into the somtum shop. 555.

Edited by scoutman360

14 minutes ago, Will B Good said:
13 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

The Marriot probably doesn't want to encourage the Soi 4 riff-raff!

I'm soi 4 riff-raff and live in the Marriott....555

You'll get no argument from me about that!

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Etaoin Shrdlu said:

Not familiar with that one. I don't think it existed back in the 80s and 90s.

Think the last time I was there was early naughties......shame if it's gone.....really good tables, nice atmosphere, well managed.

• Agree 1

35 minutes ago, Will B Good said:
12 hours ago, Etaoin Shrdlu said:

It isn't even the Raja Hotel anymore.  

Annie's is gone, too.

Ball in the Hand...gone?

That went years ago, changed owners, went to Times Square basement, had a fire and was reborn as Hustlers.

Edited by Liverpool Lou
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Will B Good said:

Think the last time I was there was early naughties......shame if it's gone.....really good tables, nice atmosphere, well managed.

I agree.  Although,, without mentioning any names, some riff-raff did get in there!

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Will B Good said:
8 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

That went decades(?) ago, went to Times Square basement, had a fire and then became Hustlers.

I knew you would know....555

LL on fire as per.

Knocked a few balls around, so to speak, in my time...still do.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Knocked a few balls around, so to speak, in my time...still do.

Just put in a 10' table at home...... all excited...... going to practice everyday......hardly ever play on it.....then as soon as we go to BKK we are straight onto the tables for hours......all about the atmosphere I guess.

• Agree 1

I used to stay at Icon (Soi 2), now I have moved to the Dawin (Soi 4), ok with me. But I am sure the half dozen of 2/3 star hotels in Soi 2  will lose business from the expats aware of the "geography". 

32 minutes ago, Will B Good said:

Just put in a 10' table at home...... all excited...... going to practice everyday......hardly ever play on it.....then as soon as we go to BKK we are straight onto the tables for hours......all about the atmosphere I guess.

Where in Bangkok do you play?

1 hour ago, dddave said:

:sad:

While never a great MP,  Annie's was always my last stop before grabbing a taxi to the airport for the long trip home.

What Annie's may lack in quality, it certainly makes up in terms of longevity. I remember it from over forty years ago and an internet search reveals it is still in business, now in Sukhumvit Soi 7/1.

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Etaoin Shrdlu said:

What Annie's may lack in quality, it certainly makes up in terms of longevity. I remember it from over forty years ago and an internet search reveals it is still in business, now in Sukhumvit Soi 7/1.

Congrats on the news about Annies. One of my Favorite places back in the 1900's.

I was skeptical at first and assumed maybe a case of the same name but no relation. But I was pleasantly surprised that it was apparently re-opened by the same management. Their website has the whole story.

https://www.anniesbangkok.com/

• Agree 2