Famed Isaan monk blesses 301 truck plates to bring prosperity in Surin

webfact

8 minutes ago, ChrisY1 said:

Monks today in Thailand are enjoying their lives like everyone else...money, whiskey and women....saw a bunch of them in Cha Am, all having the regulation iced coffee in Amazon sprawled all over the seating!

I guess there should be some of them out there who follow Buddhism the way they should. 

2 hours ago, mfd101 said:

Yes, just as they do in every other Asian country ... The 'Western' version of Buddhism - as pedalled by eg the Dalai Lama - has practically nothing to do with Buddhism as actually practised in Asian countries (including no doubt by the Dalai Lama himself), alongside animism and local traditions.

Here in Surin my Khmer family has a different superstition for every occasion including every day of the week. Took me a long time after I arrived on the scene before I was allowed to get my hair cut on a Wednesday ("People DIE!") ...

All that doesn't change the fact that what many Thais do is a mixture of many believes. If they call it Buddhism that doesn't make it Buddhism.

• Thumbs Up 1

12 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

All that doesn't change the fact that what many Thais do is a mixture of many believes. If they call it Buddhism that doesn't make it Buddhism.

So where is this wunnerful superstition-free, animism-free, local traditions-free Buddhism to be found?

I suspect only between the leaves of a 'Western' textbook.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I think there are many good ideas in the Buddhist philosophy.

It's sad what some monks do and it's sad that some people demand such stupid actions.

It's priests and monks that do a disservice to religion and philosophy although at 97 this monk probably has dementia and can be used for all sorts of nonsense, a nice little earner these number plates. I also note with dismay the large number of rubbish podcasts concerning spirituality on youtube, the serious ones are buried under a multitude of money making schemes for the gullible or the 'would be' enlightened, one trip to an Ashram in India and they are 'enlightened' youtubers.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, soalbundy said:

It's priests and monks that do a disservice to religion and philosophy although at 97 this monk probably has dementia and can be used for all sorts of nonsense, a nice little earner these number plates. I also note with dismay the large number of rubbish podcasts concerning spirituality on youtube, the serious ones are buried under a multitude of money making schemes for the gullible or the 'would be' enlightened, one trip to an Ashram in India and they are 'enlightened' youtubers.

I read this book a long time ago. Interesting. It seems he was really committed.

da4579c8841edae2766fa9218c864221.jpg

3 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I read this book a long time ago. Interesting. It seems he was really committed.

da4579c8841edae2766fa9218c864221.jpg

Yes, I saw a BBC program about him, he seems very honest in his beliefs.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I think there are many good ideas in the Buddhist philosophy.

It's sad what some monks do and it's sad that some people demand such stupid actions.

In Isaan at least, animism is mixed with Buddhism. I have studied Buddhism and Hinduism as well as reading about such mystics as Ramana Maharshi and Papa Ji for around 30 years. The psychologist Carl Jung's synchronicity's had a flavour of the mystics teachings. It is about synchronicity that I am writing now. Sometime ago I had a worrying email from my ex German company concerning my company pension and taxation, it was complicated and here there was no German tax consultant, it was also years end so trying to find a German tax consultant online was almost impossible as everyone was filing their tax claims. I eventually found a firm who gave me one of their students. She asked me to email various documents which I did, she told me this could take several weeks (I needed help ASAP). I idly went on to youtube and there was a serious spiritual teacher that I was familiar with talking about giving up a particular problem to the cosmos. One must meditate, calmly explain the problem, give it up to the cosmos, it is no longer your problem, one must have faith and definitely no longer worry, you don't have this problem. I meditate daily so I went to the temple lake, sat down, cleared my mind, explained the problem and told the cosmos I am giving the problem to you to solve. I walked back home, for a few seconds the worry came up but I banished it immediately. When I got home (I had left the computer running) there was an email from the consulting firm, she wrote that my company was mistaken, a new law that year had taken the responsibility from me to the company I need do nothing, the info was free of charge. yeay cosmos.

• Haha 1