What are you cooking today?

Quite like this YT'er, both informative, and full of practical ideas for simple cooking.   If bored and or experimental, wanting to change things up a bit, but still like what you eat, this may give you some ideas.   Or just some healthier options, giving what you enjoy eating now a tweak:

1 hour ago, KhunLA said:

Quite like this YT'er, both informative, and full of practical ideas for simple cooking.   If bored and or experimental, wanting to change things up a bit, but still like what you eat, this may give you some ideas.   Or just some healthier options, giving what you enjoy eating now a tweak:

I did not watch the video yet. Ill watch it later, just came back from the farm and I am ready for a nap LOL

But in the states, because of the way the supermarkets are laid out 

I had heard the following advice :

"When shopping, avoid all the interior isles, and only shop on the sides and back."

• Haha 1

31 minutes ago, sirineou said:

I had heard the following advice :  "When shopping, avoid all the interior isles, and only shop on the sides and back."

That makes sense, as usually your fruits & veggies, and cold cases are on the out exteriors of the market.  Meaning fresher foods.

When in the crappy, loaded with preservative sections, try to avoid the food on the shelves from waist high to eye level, as easiest to see and pick out.  Usually the least healthy and high profit items.

With exception of the high sugar cereals, as they like to put them a bit lower, at the kids eye level, so they pick the ones with the most sugar & best commercials.

Avoid precooked meats, as again, worst choice, since usually old, closer to or expired already.  That rotisserie chicken was probably a day or so from the bin.  Season & cook it, people will never know :coffee1:

• Agree 1

On 1/31/2024 at 1:25 PM, KhunLA said:

Kefir ...

Can be made with milk powder, and testing that with 2nd batch.  Needs to be about 12gr Carbs/Lactose content, which it is (14gr ?).  Actually more than DutchMill which I used for 1st batch.

On 2/2/2024 at 7:55 AM, KhunLA said:

Apparently not, as it didn't do much.  Matter of fact, I might have killed my grains.  Trying another batch w/DutchMill, but not looking good.:cheesy:

Let this batch go for 44 hrs instead of 20-30, as at 30 hr, still not looking as good as I'd like.

44 hr was a bit long, and actually had some whey separation.  Whey strained out quick and really thick.  Too much actually as had to 'rinse' down with milk to get it through the strainer.

Good news though, my kefir grains are fine.  Another batch started which will be a daily thing.

Eating healthy kick, this, and a few other changes in my diet.

On 1/23/2024 at 3:08 PM, KannikaP said:

I do the same, lovely bread. I try to buy good quality flour as opposed to the local stuff.

On quality flour, I'm going to start mixing in whole wheat flour.  Before I'd use bread @ 400gr + 100gr of whole wheat.   As not a fan of the grains/bran bits in whole wheat.

I've enlightened myself, to Atta flour, which is still whole wheat, but without the bits & pieces.   Wee less nutritious, and not as absorbent (a good thing), but a lot healthier than AP or bread flour.

Now to get the ratios correct, start with 70/30%, or 60/40, then maybe 50/50, bread/atta flour.   Till I run out of bread flour at the house (3.5kg), then see how 100% atta flour loaf turns out.   Though 50/50 might be the max ratio.   Depending on texture & rise of the bread.

I'll be testing when the atta arrives, as just ordered.  Also ฿60 a kg (total, if buying 5kg) vs ฿36 for bread flour.

2 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Whats the hole for ??? :shock1:

1. expansion of meat inside

2. Access to pour in the liquid that becomes the jelly - part of a true pork pie

I'll ignore the innuendo of the picture!!

Edited by Negita43
  • Love It 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Just now, Negita43 said:
3 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Whats the hole for ??? :shock1:

2. Access to pour in the liquid that becomes the jelly - part of a true pork pie

Thank you... 

Perhaps watch 'American Pie' and you'll get the joke... 

5 minutes ago, Negita43 said:

I'll ignore the innuendo of the picture!!

Did the pork pies have hot water crust pastry?

I used to make them but my table top oven has died.

I must try again using the air fryer.

They are great with Colemans mustard.

Edited by billd766

Just now, billd766 said:

Actually no - I do not like that pastry and I know that's the traditional method but I find it too hard.

Let me know how it works in an airfryer (never thought of that)

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, Negita43 said:

Actually no - I do not like that pastry and I know that's the traditional method but I find it too hard.

Let me know how it works in an air fryer (never thought of that)

I have made some Cornish style pasties with Thai veggies and cooked them in the air fryer and they came out OK. I couldn't find swede so I used the Thai vegetable that looks like a carrot, but it is white and a bit bigger.

I have copied  some scone recipes from this link that I want to try later this month.

https://www.farmersgirlkitchen.co.uk/air-fryer-fruit-scones/

7 minutes ago, billd766 said:

but it is white and a bit bigger.

My gf calls this Chinese carrot - I use it instead of turnip or swede with my Haggis "neeps" and tatties.

PS. When I say the the hot water pastry is too hard I mean to eat not to make

1 hour ago, Negita43 said:

Today's Cooking - 3 Pork Pies and two Chicken and Ham - not me my gf

You got yourself a good one!(GF)This looks  great

38 minutes ago, billd766 said:

I used to make them but my table top oven has died.

I must try again using the air fryer.

They are great with Colemans mustard.

Actually I just made something similar , with the puffy crust pastry I bought at Makro in the airfryer, and it came out good.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Negita43 said:

Let me know how it works in an airfryer (never thought of that)

They sell a premade pastry dough, already rolled out into smaller  and bigger sheets. I got the smaller sheets , but I bet the bigger sheets would be great for your pies. 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Negita43 said:

My gf calls this Chinese carrot - I use it instead of turnip or swede with my Haggis "neeps" and tatties.

PS. When I say the the hot water pastry is too hard I mean to eat not to make

I have just watched this video and I want to try it but I can't find the recipe or the cooking instructions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aL56Amt5RQs

• Thumbs Up 1

40 minutes ago, sirineou said:

They sell a premade pastry dough, already rolled out into smaller  and bigger sheets. I got the smaller sheets , but I bet the bigger sheets would be great for your pies

My gf makes her own pastry for the pies but if I want filo or flaky I buy that from Macro although not cheap. I also buy the Macro Roti and the Spring Roll from the frozen section

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Negita43 said:

My gf makes her own pastry for the pies but if I want filo or flaky I buy that from Macro although not cheap. I also buy the Macro Roti and the Spring Roll from the frozen section

I also make my own dough bread pizza etc  but I have not being very successful making  fluffy dough .

I have never seen filo dough at our makro, I would love it if they did.

But I order it on live from this place, and it it top quality. 

https://vitafresh.co.th/แป้งฟิลโล-antoniou/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Negita43 said:

Unfortunately for me my nearest Makro is 65 km from me at Kamphaeng Phet, and I only get up that way about once a month. Since I had a couple of blackouts last year I rely on my wife to drive me.

This morning I made Kedgeree ,a British Indian dish , did not have any

smoked Haddock ,so used John West Kippers , turned out very good,

and warming on this chilly morning.

regards worgeordie 

• Thumbs Up 1

Praise Buddha ... getting my sugar fix on :coffee1:

image.png.4bdfe473fd5dd21a6ef74c69abe6700a.png

Used this recipe, with sight adjustment. 25gr less sugar, 25gr less flour, added 25gr cacao powder. and why very dark. Negative of that, you can't tell when edges are starting to brown.  

Edited by KhunLA

21 hours ago, sirineou said:

I have never seen filo dough at our makro, I would love it if they did

This is what I use (from frozen section at my Macro (Korat) - it's adequate for my purposes and it does look like "flaky pastry" when cooked - I use it for cheese straws and a dish with grapes and blue cheese. However I have tried making cream slices with it but not successful (probably down to me not understaning the process).

I'll have a look at your link

IMG20240205174543[1].jpg

• Thanks 1

On 2/4/2024 at 11:04 AM, richard_smith237 said:

Perhaps watch 'American Pie' and you'll get the joke.

American Humour - two words in complete contradiction 🤪😎 only joking - I used to watch Rowan and Martins Laugh in - but actually that wa mainly satire.

Edited by Negita43
typo

25 minutes ago, Negita43 said:

This is what I use (from frozen section at my Macro (Korat)

They don't have that (or I have not seen it) at our Makro  

I always want to write Makro with a "C"  and then I have to go back and correct it. 

anyway, I have not seen that , but I have seen something similar. 

Yesterday when we were there I got the one below. 

I tried making my own, you know, make the butter with four, chill . make dough with butter also , use some sort of acid .( lemon). then toell the butter and dough together and fold.

I tried once LOL , it was a pain in the .... and I made a mess. 

Much easier to buy some :laugh:

pastry.jpg.3b32d3227635f932df9505199cabe2ea.jpg

• Thanks 2

51 minutes ago, sirineou said:

They don't have that (or I have not seen it) at our Makro  

I always want to write Makro with a "C"  and then I have to go back and correct it. 

anyway, I have not seen that , but I have seen something similar. 

Yesterday when we were there I got the one below. 

I tried making my own, you know, make the butter with four, chill . make dough with butter also , use some sort of acid .( lemon). then toell the butter and dough together and fold.

I tried once LOL , it was a pain in the .... and I made a mess. 

Much easier to buy some :laugh:

pastry.jpg.3b32d3227635f932df9505199cabe2ea.jpg

The trick with dough is to have a big mixer, make big batches and freeze single use portions.