image.png.36fbf0c7d9413892fa0004827412142b.png

Nice !!

Nothing like homemade bread!!

I have not made any in a couple of week. You inspired me to make some. :smile:

• Thumbs Up 1

Last night and it was great.

Fancy pasta dish 

Penne (salt the cooking water)

Pesto made with lots of fresh minced garlic, Dijon mustard, parm cheese, black pepper, red pepper, in extra virgin olive oil

Mix pasta with pesto.

Add cooked brocolli flowers, cooked shiitake shrooms, split cherry tomatoes, sliced poached chicken breast, sliced smoke salmon and soft avocado

Mix well.

The more garlic the better. 

Edited by Jingthing
  • Love It 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Jingthing said:

Last night and it was great.

Fancy pasta dish 

Penne (salt the cooking water)

Pesto made with lots of fresh minced garlic, Dijon mustard, parm cheese, black pepper, red pepper, in extra virgin olive oil

Mix pasta with pesto.

Add cooked brocolli flowers, cooked shiitake shrooms, split cherry tomatoes, sliced poached chicken breast, sliced smoke salmon and soft avocado

Mix well.

The more garlic the better. 

Forget to mention sliced black olives (essential).

This dish (my own creation, have been making it for many years) isn't "authentically" Italian of course as real Italian cooking doesn't use so many ingredients.

Finally had the Pumkin soup I got distracted from, and a grilled cheese sandwich to go with. 

pPumpkin05.jpg.b41a6b8d146be01a319d33abf3b2a9ae.jpg

Super easy recipe and my wife loves it. I bake the pumpkin first and divide into batches. 

Two cups baked pumpkin

Two tablespoons sugar

One block of Knorr chicken stock

Half cup of milk. Cream is better, but milk is okay.

Boil the water, dissolve the sugar and chicken stock, add the pumpkin and stir. If the pumpkin is still frozen, Weat on lowest temp until it stirs in. 

Dump it in the blender and puree. If it is still too thick add water until you like the consistency. 

Dump it back in the pot, set to low heat, 

I use the milk to clean out the blender and then dump it in the pot. Stir and it's ready. It is good hot or cold.

The black on top is black pepper. 

I've tried a number of recipes, added onions and carrots and whatnot, but I like this best, and it is easy. 

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, sirineou said:

Nice !!

Nothing like homemade bread!!

I have not made any in a couple of week. You inspired me to make some. :smile:

I think you asked about Ricotta. They had it a Villa today:

Ricotta01.thumb.jpg.fc7afc266981c8c4a7bfa0497574d263.jpgRicotta02.thumb.jpg.20a1b2ee76e2cd424bcfec102cf3f629.jpgRicotta03.jpg.bf7caf4a5060e539629ce716274cf6df.jpg

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Yellowtail said:

I think you asked about Ricotta. They had it a Villa today:

Ricotta01.thumb.jpg.fc7afc266981c8c4a7bfa0497574d263.jpgRicotta02.thumb.jpg.20a1b2ee76e2cd424bcfec102cf3f629.jpgRicotta03.jpg.bf7caf4a5060e539629ce716274cf6df.jpg

Thank you.

That's not bad and the price is good. 

Unfortunately for me the closest Villa is about 2 hrs away in Udon Thani. I am in Khon Kaen/

A friend of mine from Udon Thani  is in the process of moving his restaurant to a larger  space, and will be reopening in a couple of weeks, and me and the wife will go there  will be to support him. 

I will make sure to stop by Vila and get some, 

I'm in the mood for Lasagna. :smile:

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, sirineou said:

Thank you.

Unfortunately for me the closest Villa is about 2 hrs away in Udon Thani. I am in Khon Kaen/

A friend of mine from Udon Thani  is in the process of moving his restaurant to a larger  space, and will be reopening in a couple of weeks, and me and the wife will go there  will be to support him. 

I can't remember ever being in the mood for lasagne.....

Have you tried using cottage cheese? 

Cantoneses-style 'Shrimp with Lobster Sauce.' 

It's a very easy-to-make dish (there is no lobster in it, (It's the 'sauce' used for 'Lobster Cantonese,') inexpensive to make if you use smaller-sized shrimp, and absolutely delicious!

If you want the recipe, message me. 🙂

• Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, sirineou said:

Thank you.

I would think any larger Tops, the one at Central Plaza would have.   Our Makro has, and we're not exactly full of expats here, but restaurants need, that serve any Italian fare.

29 minutes ago, FolkGuitar said:

It's a very easy-to-make dish (there is no lobster in it, (It's the 'sauce' used for 'Lobster Cantonese,') inexpensive to make if you use smaller-sized shrimp, and absolutely delicious!

10-25-19.jpg.35ed9ae4d54d1c33b4ab9cd4a4f1e7e2.jpg

Boston style... with fermented black beans.

• Thumbs Up 1

50 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

I would think any larger Tops, the one at Central Plaza would have.   Our Makro has, and we're not exactly full of expats here, but restaurants need, that serve any Italian fare.

Where are you, if you don't mind posting it. 

We have a huge Makro in Khon Kaen and a smaller one on the other side of town, I will look for it again when I go to the big one later today with the wife. 

It never occured to me to look at Tops. (not my favorite place)  It would also be an option. 

They are building a big Makro on Mittraphap just past Lotu'ssssssssssssssss.Very close to my house. 

I can't wait until they finish . I will live there :laugh:

1 hour ago, FolkGuitar said:

49 minutes ago, Michaelaway said:

Boston style... with fermented black beans.

Thank you guys!! Both look great !!,

I went on YouTube and found this recipe that looks good and easy. 

I have all the ingredients, I think it will be on the menu this week. :smile:

1 hour ago, Yellowtail said:

I can't remember ever being in the mood for lasagne.....

At your age I am sure there are many things you don't remember :cheesy:

1 hour ago, Yellowtail said:

Have you tried using cottage cheese? 

I can't remember:laugh:

seriously, it never occured to me. If I can't find ricotta I will give it a try.  

29 minutes ago, sirineou said:

At your age I am sure there are many things you don't remember :cheesy:

I can't remember:laugh:

seriously, it never occured to me. If I can't find ricotta I will give it a try.  

And it is much cheaper. 

I have a Tops, two Villas, and a small Makro within walking distance.  

1 hour ago, sirineou said:

Where are you, if you don't mind posting it. 

We have a huge Makro in Khon Kaen and a smaller one on the other side of town, I will look for it again when I go to the big one later today with the wife. 

It never occured to me to look at Tops. (not my favorite place)  It would also be an option. 

They are building a big Makro on Mittraphap just past Lotu'ssssssssssssssss.Very close to my house. 

I can't wait until they finish . I will live there :laugh:

I'm way below KK, down at Amphur Muang, Prachuap Khiri Khan.

You could always try making it.  Like Mozzarella, it seems easy enough.

Didn't cook anything today ... but ...

... on a Kefir kick, and first batch turned out very good, and surprisingly, I like the flavor.  Fermented milk doesn't have the best ring to it, but it's quite nice.

Got the grains (20gr @ ฿616) from LAZ, let it ferment for 30 hrs @ room temp, 22-27C, and wrap with towel when AC on and overnight.

Can be made with milk powder, and testing that with 2nd batch.  Needs to be about 12gr Carbs/Lactose content, which it is (14gr ?).  Actually more than DutchMill which I used for 1st batch.

22 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

I'm way below KK, down at Amphur Muang, Prachuap Khiri Khan.

You could always try making it.  Like Mozzarella, it seems easy enough.

If it's the same place I found on google map , you could not be further , but I am jealous,I am up here because my wife is from here. And it's not bad,  but it really looks nice down there. 

1 minute ago, sirineou said:

If it's the same place I found on google map , you could not be further , but I am jealous,I am up here because my wife is from here. And it's not bad,  but it really looks nice down there. 

Very nice ... shh ... don't tell anyone :cheesy:

Pleasant change from 16/17 yr at Udon Thani.  Never really warmed up to KK, though use to pop in when USA Embassy was visiting KK, years past for notary service/income affidavit.   Was always a nice treat to stay at Sofitel, now Raja something.  Lakeside area was OK, but the rest didn't do much for me.

You do still have an very nice restaurant, out by the airport.  Greenleaf Hydrofarm & Restaurant 👍👍

Happy pizza!

Mushroom and tinned mackerel + 4gm cannabis.

Almost everything delivered from Makro, 9" frozen pizza base, tinned tomato paste, tinned mackerel, frozen shredded mozzarella, fat mushrooms. (wanted bacon an mushroom but ran out of bacon, but too lazy to go out)

1706689708411.jpg

Edited by BritManToo
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, KhunLA said:

Very nice ... shh ... don't tell anyone :cheesy:

Pleasant change from 16/17 yr at Udon Thani.  Never really warmed up to KK, though use to pop in when USA Embassy was visiting KK, years past for notary service/income affidavit.   Was always a nice treat to stay at Sofitel, now Raja something.  Lakeside area was OK, but the rest didn't do much for me.

You do still have an very nice restaurant, out by the airport.  Greenleaf Hydrofarm & Restaurant 👍👍

How did you ever make the move there? How did you get your wife to move?  You re married?

Wife grew up here, her family is here , though he dad and mom have passed away (very nice people) 

Sister lives next door to us, (nice girl and her husband) .

Wife and sister have a blow out once a month. (I wonder why :cheesy:)  but other than that are always together. 

I could not separate them with a crowbar. 

I would love to be on your t side of the world. I love the see, it's in my DNA (Of Greek descent)

I never lived further than a couple of miles from the sea . 

some time in the next few weeks we will take a ride to Kho  Samui. or perhaps Kho Samet (a bit closer) 

Cant now got a bunch of things going. Finally  got PEA to bring electric to our farm property , They should be none by the end of the week, then I got to have a meter  bring electric to a small two room building we have there.

Once I get that done......  

5 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Happy pizza!

Almost everything delivered from Makro, 9" frozen pizza base, tinned tomato paste, tinned mackerel, frozen shredded mozzarella, fat mushrooms.

1706689708411.jpg

"fat mushrooms. "

Why you could not find tinned mushrooms?:laugh:

At least you will never have an iron deficiency:cheesy:

10 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Happy pizza!

Almost everything delivered from Makro, 9" frozen pizza base, tinned tomato paste, tinned mackerel, frozen shredded mozzarella, fat mushrooms. (wanted bacon an mushroom but ran out of bacon, but too lazy to go out)

1706689708411.jpg

I like to say .That looks nice.

I would, I really really  would .

Seriously . all that food has to do is taste good , and I am sure that tasted good, 

Just dont relay this story to a bunch of Sicilians or you could find yourself sleeping with the fishes .  :cheesy:

19 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Happy pizza!

1706689708411.jpg

👀😊

Don’t they have Straw mushrooms(Hed Fang) up your way? They are the closest to the mushrooms you might eat in the U.K….

I prefer to slice and fry gently before placing on pizza. Often make a batch beforehand and store them in extra virgin olive oil. 
I don’t want to discuss the other ingredient 😊

In the case of the weed, I imagine an oil based extract would be more suitable. 

Easy for you to make at home if you were so inclined. 
I cannot imagine toasted weed being particularly appetising…. but a nice herby olive oil….

13 minutes ago, sirineou said:

I like to say .That looks nice.

I would, I really really  would .

Seriously . all that food has to do is taste good , and I am sure that tasted good, 

Just dont relay this story to a bunch of Sicilians or you could find yourself sleeping with the fishes .  :cheesy:

The Sicilians might give him a pass, as they have a different style of pizza. Similarly Neapolitans.  It’s the Calabrians who might present a problem. 

https://www.bottegadicalabria.com/blog/calabrian-pizza-or-neapolitan-pizza-characteristics-and-differences

1 hour ago, BritManToo said:

Happy pizza!

1706689708411.jpg

The Makro pizza sauce is not bad, but it comes is liter bags so you have to break it up and freeze it. 

The pasta sauce is the same way, and it's pretty good. 

On 1/31/2024 at 1:25 PM, KhunLA said:

Didn't cook anything today ... but ... ... on a Kefir kick, and first batch turned out very good, and surprisingly, I like the flavor. ..Can be made with milk powder, and testing that with 2nd batch.  

Apparently not, as it didn't do much.  Matter of fact, I might have killed my grains.  Trying another batch w/DutchMill, but not looking good.

Off topic...

On 1/31/2024 at 3:36 PM, sirineou said:

How did you ever make the move there? How did you get your wife to move?  You re married?

Wife grew up here, her family is here , though he dad and mom have passed away (very nice people) 

Yes, married and wife from Nong Bua Lamphu, with couple sisters living at Udon Thani.  She worked at BKK as graphic designer at clothing company, so living away from family wasn't new.  

Returned to UT and worked at sis's restaurant at night market, and how we met.  8 siblings, half at NBLP, couple other elsewhere, 1 in USA.

She's not the biggest fan of UT either, but did enjoy time with the 2 sisters.  When daughter done school, I was leaving UT, with or without her, so up to her if she was coming.   We bought the land 3 years prior to contracting to build on it, 2 years ago.  

Only did so after they opened a Makro here, as the Lotus's here :cheesy:isn't much better than a 7-11.

I even joke with her, after I crap out, she can sell up, and move back to where the family is, and I get a .... HELL NO, what are nuts.   She's not the usual needy Thai who wants/needs family & friends around her.

We only have 1 family of friends here at PKK, one of her hometown friends married to someone stationed at RTAF Wing 5 here.  Which is advantageous at times.  I even had a yellow book from their house, on base, stating I lived there.  How nobody didn't notice it was on the base at the Amphur office is amazing.  A farang living on military base :cheesy: