What are you cooking today?

3 minutes ago, sirineou said:

Just came back from the state where I went for the holidays with family. 

One of the first thing I did was to go to the deli section of Publix and get boar's

head Virginia ham. 

Of all of my years here in LOS I have yet to find decent cold cuts. Perhaps you guys in the civilised parts of Thailand do, out here in Issan ...... least said is best. 

Not a chance in the North

• Agree 1

7 minutes ago, sirineou said:

Just came back from the state where I went for the holidays with family. 

One of the first thing I did was to go to the deli section of Publix and get boar's

head Virginia ham. 

Of all of my years here in LOS I have yet to find decent cold cuts. Perhaps you guys in the civilised parts of Thailand do, out here in Issan ...... least said is best. 

Publix has (or at least had) some beautiful markets. I loved the neon fronts. I little rich for my blood though, I was more a Winn-Dixie guy. 

Remember the Eight O'clock Bean coffee grinders? 

• Love It 1

3 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

Publix has (or at least had) some beautiful markets. I loved the neon fronts. I little rich for my blood though, I was more a Winn-Dixie guy. 

Remember the Eight O'clock Bean coffee grinders? 

Don't get me started. 

I would also do most of my shopping at Win Dixie . But Bublix has the best delly dept. 

For a good price at Walmart superstore Prima Della cold cuts  were not bad . 

As I said I was there last month. I had not been there for a couple of years and was shocked at the prices. Went to winn dixie , which is the better price supermarket , did not realy buy a lot of things, and paid almost $200 . 

8 minutes ago, sirineou said:

Don't get me started. 

I would also do most of my shopping at Win Dixie . But Bublix has the best delly dept. 

For a good price at Walmart superstore Prima Della cold cuts  were not bad . 

As I said I was there last month. I had not been there for a couple of years and was shocked at the prices. Went to winn dixie , which is the better price supermarket , did not realy buy a lot of things, and paid almost $200 . 

I was visiting the US with my family right before covid. We were in Florida for a cruise, that ultimately got cancelled, at 01:00 the morning of departure. 

Ended up spending almost two weeks in Orlando with most all the parks closed. Went to Moss Park and did cookouts almost every day. Burgers and sausages most every day. 

6 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

Burgers and sausages most every day.

If covid didn't kill you, the burgers and sausage would :laugh:

We were in the US also before covid and were preparing to come back to Thailand. My sister who has retired in Greece was there also, and got out on the last flight before they shut things down. 

We remembered avian flu and things like that from the past.  And said. "let's stay in the US where we have better medical care for a while  " and after it blows out in a few weeks we will go to Thailand. 

Famous last words.  LOL . Things were worst in the US, than it was in Thailand. 

We got trapped there for almost 2 years. I was in contact with other expats trapped in the US and Canada, There was one guy who was sleeping on his sisters couch. 

You were lucky to get out if you did. It was surreal we would do food shopping for a month , and then just stay home. When we came back from being outside, I would take my cloths outside, and showered in the back yard because the wife would not let me back in if I did not. Lucky we had a house with a large backyard. We would play issan music and run around the yard 

Then they started opening up Thailand again with 14 days quarantine,  then they dropped it to 7 days . and we jumped at the opportunity. We had to hett all shorts of paperwork. 

We were arriving in BKK May 25 th and suddenly they announced that anyone arriving mat 25th or later will have  to do 14 days again, so we dropped everything changed our travel documents and tickets and bot to Thailand a few hours before the deadline. :cheesy:

I should start a thread . Many interesting stories out there I am sure. 

1 hour ago, sirineou said:

If covid didn't kill you, the burgers and sausage would :laugh:

We were in the US also before covid and were preparing to come back to Thailand. My sister who has retired in Greece was there also, and got out on the last flight before they shut things down. 

We remembered avian flu and things like that from the past.  And said. "let's stay in the US where we have better medical care for a while  " and after it blows out in a few weeks we will go to Thailand. 

Famous last words.  LOL . Things were worst in the US, than it was in Thailand. 

We got trapped there for almost 2 years. I was in contact with other expats trapped in the US and Canada, There was one guy who was sleeping on his sisters couch. 

You were lucky to get out if you did. It was surreal we would do food shopping for a month , and then just stay home. When we came back from being outside, I would take my cloths outside, and showered in the back yard because the wife would not let me back in if I did not. Lucky we had a house with a large backyard. We would play issan music and run around the yard 

Then they started opening up Thailand again with 14 days quarantine,  then they dropped it to 7 days . and we jumped at the opportunity. We had to hett all shorts of paperwork. 

We were arriving in BKK May 25 th and suddenly they announced that anyone arriving mat 25th or later will have  to do 14 days again, so we dropped everything changed our travel documents and tickets and bot to Thailand a few hours before the deadline. :cheesy:

I should start a thread . Many interesting stories out there I am sure. 

My wife and kid got back, I got stuck in California for five months. I came back to Thailand and did the fourteen-day quarantine. 

Haven't made this in awhile, since not having egg noodle, so used bow tie pasta.  Just a ground beef, mushroom, onion gravy thingy.  Sauce was a bit thinner, as I added a bit more broth at the end.  Too impatient to let it reduce down & thicken, and was just fine ... rather tasty.

The 'blur' is steam coming off ...

image.png.30fa44db704598c41be2965bbee19bea.png

The ground beef & mushroom had get used.  So what ever is in the house, works.  Not in mood for a burger plus no rolls in the house.

Here's a vid for those needing a reminder (@ 4:40) on making gravy or sauce.  Just skip the Salisbury steak part, (does look good thoug), and the rest is classic beef/veggie sauce.  Tweak however floats you boat.

He's has a good beef stroganoff recipe also.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, youreavinalaff said:

Decent cold cuts are available everywhere. 

First it all depends on your definition of what is decent. 

And when I say "available" I mean for sale. 

I ordered a couple of hams from a popular online farang store, and they were both so dry , my dogs ended up eating them (true story, no exaggeration. ) 

I appreciate your suggestion to make it myself, but I am the only one that would eat it in our household.  

How much could I possibly eat? 

• Agree 1

Tonight I will be cooking chicken breast with an Italian Arabiata sauce with just a little bit of chili in it and chopped black and green olives, accompanied by a few small new potatoes – – and of course the obligatory half bottle of wine (plus)!

I still have some tofu left over from yesterday's menu, so tomorrow I may well revisit my Chinese Mabo Tofu recipe, with pork mince and mixed brown rice.

AND,  I'm trying to cut down on my carbohydrate intake so have stopped making my home-made pizzas (three plus a week), but I am getting withdrawal symptoms, so rather than make a pizza myself in a couple of days I will buy one from Da Moreno, the Italian restaurant nearby which makes superb pizzas.

36 minutes ago, sirineou said:

I ordered a couple of hams from a popular online farang store, and they were both so dry , my dogs ended up eating them (true story, no exaggeration. ) 

I appreciate your suggestion to make it myself, but I am the only one that would eat it in our household.  

"Decent" also depends on how long you are here. 

Before I moved to Thailand, I could count on my hands the number of times I had eaten at McDonald's, and on one hand Sizzler. After a few years Mickie's is not that bad and Sizzler (as long as you don't order beef) is a downright treat.

Forgot Pizza Hut and Domino's...

Edited by Yellowtail
clarity
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, Yellowtail said:

"Decent" also depends on how long you are here. 

Before I moved to Thailand, I could count on my hands the number of times I had eaten at McDonald's, and on one hand Sizzler. After a few years Mickie's is not that bad and Sizzler (as long as you don't order beef) is a downright treat.

I could not agree more, 

Back in the US I was seen buying cheap hot dogs   , a friend advised me that he had tried them and they were not very good.

I know, I said I am buying them as treats for my dog!!

Here in Thailand I buy the same quality , for me all the time, they are probably the best I can find.  :laugh:

• Haha 1

I made a Massaman curry with beef and freshly squeezed coconut milk from my local market; 600 grams for 125 baht and 30 baht respectively. Potatoes @ 30 baht per kg. Pack of peanuts; 5 baht. 
Slow cooked for five hours. Served on a bed of brown rice. The meat was tender. The curry delicious. 

C408339E-288D-4C97-A757-B979E66B83E3.thumb.jpeg.8dfb2572e867aed0c15e11bf37c8ec8e.jpeg

• Love It 2

1 minute ago, NextG said:

I made a Massaman curry with beef and freshly squeezed coconut milk from my local market; 600 grams for 125 baht and 30 baht respectively. Potatoes @ 30 baht per kg. Pack of peanuts; 5 baht. 
Slow cooked for five hours. Served on a bed of brown rice. The meat was tender. The curry delicious. 

C408339E-288D-4C97-A757-B979E66B83E3.thumb.jpeg.8dfb2572e867aed0c15e11bf37c8ec8e.jpeg

That my friend looks Arroy mak mak!! I love a good curry

I had the same issue with the beef , Thai beef would take forever, 

In Makro they have Australian beef (Harvey's) or something like that. It is a lot better but it still needs 3 hrs slow cooking to stew the beef properly.

Then I discovered pleasure cookers,  Australian beef to eat with a spoon (melts in your mouth) in 45 minutes. 

PS: If you like indian curries there  is a guy here in Khon Kaen who makes killer Vindaloo, Madrass, tikka Masala etc. Very reasonable prices, he freezes it and ships all over Thailand. I usually buy 15-20 of them and keep it in our extra freezer, 

https://www.facebook.com/ruby.murryscurrys.7

3 hours ago, youreavinalaff said:

Decent cold cuts are available everywhere. 

As with another poster. I cure pork loin. This is available everywhere.

For a KG of loin; 50g salt, 15g sugar, black pepper, 2g of pink salt (can get it online).

Mix it together, wrap the loin in cling film or put in a plastic bag or container. Leave in fridge for 7 to ten days. Done.

Cook as you wish.

You can add other ingredients to your cure. I like to add crushed coriander seeds and cloves. Not too much, a gram or 2, just for a little background flavour.

I've even made pastrami. A little more difficult with the cooking aspect due to the toughness of Thai beef.

Do you turn the pork over every 24 hours?

2 hours ago, sirineou said:

When I said available everywhere, I meant anyone can make it.

The beauty of using loin is you can make as much or as little as you need.

Edited by youreavinalaff

On 1/28/2024 at 6:36 PM, FruitPudding said:

Simply the best 'pad gra pao'

20240118_173453.jpg

Looks delicious!

Though, that is not a picture of gra pao that's ga prao (กะเพรา).

Gra pao กระเป๋า is a suitcase.

6 minutes ago, youreavinalaff said:

The beauty of using loin is you can make AZ much or as little as you need.

Not going to happen,

Wife is already looking at me sideways every time I go in the kitchen

Tom aloy she saids (what are you doing) 

I am Making stuffed tomatoes I say, 

Are you sure you are not making a mess she says 

Truth be. I am not sure :laugh:

• Confused 1

18 minutes ago, sirineou said:

Not going to happen,

Wife is already looking at me sideways every time I go in the kitchen

Tom aloy she saids (what are you doing) 

I am Making stuffed tomatoes I say, 

Are you sure you are not making a mess she says 

Truth be. I am not sure :laugh:

It only takes 5 minutes, but there you go.

Tam arai = what are you doing?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, sirineou said:

That my friend looks Arroy mak mak!! I love a good curry

I had the same issue with the beef , Thai beef would take forever, 

In Makro they have Australian beef (Harvey's) or something like that. It is a lot better but it still needs 3 hrs slow cooking to stew the beef properly.

Then I discovered pleasure cookers,  Australian beef to eat with a spoon (melts in your mouth) in 45 minutes. 

PS: If you like indian curries there  is a guy here in Khon Kaen who makes killer Vindaloo, Madrass, tikka Masala etc. Very reasonable prices, he freezes it and ships all over Thailand. I usually buy 15-20 of them and keep it in our extra freezer, 

https://www.facebook.com/ruby.murryscurrys.7

You have to know which cut is best for the dish. After a bit of experimentation, the vendor knows what I want. 

I make Indian curries myself. 

This a beef and potato curry on paratha made with wholemeal flour. 9854FC93-E242-40E2-BA24-295FBD77B29E.thumb.jpeg.8bf9d162d44dee48a5d2e2c0fa577cac.jpeg9DA53EE6-9DB7-4600-BA52-D434563D5EAA.thumb.jpeg.ca12d91a7e998a850f478856bd4826cb.jpeg

3 minutes ago, NextG said:

You have to know which cut is best for the dish. After a bit of experimentation, the vendor knows what I want. 

I make Indian curries myself. 

This a beef and potato curry on paratha made with wholemeal flour. 9854FC93-E242-40E2-BA24-295FBD77B29E.thumb.jpeg.8bf9d162d44dee48a5d2e2c0fa577cac.jpeg9DA53EE6-9DB7-4600-BA52-D434563D5EAA.thumb.jpeg.ca12d91a7e998a850f478856bd4826cb.jpeg

That would be "Indian Style" curry. Based on British Indian Restaurant curries.

Indian food doesn't include Gau Mata. It's a sacred animal.

Sorry to split hairs.😁😁😁

1 hour ago, LosLobo said:

Looks delicious!

Though, that is not a picture of gra pao that's ga prao (กะเพรา).

Gra pao กระเป๋า is a suitcase.

Funny, cos they say it just like that.

I guess the Thai spelling and phonetics aren't the same.

16 minutes ago, youreavinalaff said:

That would be "Indian Style" curry. Based on British Indian Restaurant curries.

Indian food doesn't include Gau Mata. It's a sacred animal.

Sorry to split hairs.😁😁😁

Wrong. 

98AC5D33-DB14-4469-A314-48F94A47952B.jpeg.ba8b87702b93f64c1adbbf14b4ac3bd8.jpeg

54 minutes ago, NextG said:

Wrong. 

98AC5D33-DB14-4469-A314-48F94A47952B.jpeg.ba8b87702b93f64c1adbbf14b4ac3bd8.jpeg

It's water buffalo they eat. 

Indian water buffalo is considered a delicacy. 

I got that info from the horses mouth, so to speak, during a visit to India.

Edited by youreavinalaff