Surge in Covid-19 infections and rising death toll in Thailand

snoop1130

Yes, public officials at times mis-speak, and typically, those errors end up getting corrected, as they should... As with the following example from relatively early in the pandemic:

Researchers pushed back after the C.D.C. director asserted that vaccinated people “do not carry the virus.”

April 1, 2021

"The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention on Thursday walked back controversial comments made by its director, Dr. Rochelle P. Walensky, suggesting that people who are vaccinated against the coronavirus never become infected or transmit the virus to others.

“Dr. Walensky spoke broadly during this interview,” an agency spokesman told The Times. “It’s possible that some people who are fully vaccinated could get Covid-19. The evidence isn’t clear whether they can spread the virus to others. We are continuing to evaluate the evidence.”

The agency was responding in part to criticism from scientists who noted that current research was far from sufficient to claim that vaccinated people cannot spread the virus."

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/04/01/health/coronavirus-vaccine-walensky.html

The circumstances of COVID and its continuing mutations / variants has been a moving target since the beginning.

Screenshot_3.jpg.53bff61a9345dfa74bb92cab5549295f.jpg

The Omicron effect

Omicron was quickly identified as being significantly more transmissible than Delta, the preceding variant of concern. Within 4 weeks, as the Omicron wave travelled around the world, it replaced Delta as the dominant variant.

Countries which had so far been successful in keeping COVID-19 at bay through public health and social measures now found themselves struggling. For individuals, the greatest price was paid by those who were at risk of severe disease but not vaccinated, and we saw hospitalizations and deaths rise in a number of places around the world."

https://www.who.int/news-room/feature-stories/detail/one-year-since-the-emergence-of-omicron

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

Disturbingly, six of the fatalities had never received a vaccine, while five others had completed their two-dose vaccination schedule. Shockingly, 45 patients dependent on ventilators had not been vaccinated, raising concerns about the vaccine’s protective efficacy.

while 149 required life-saving ventilators.

so 104 on ventilators  had been injected  vs 45 who had not 

and 5 deaths for injected vs 6 not injected  am I reading this correctly ?

This is what the US FDA said in December 2020 when granting its first emergency use authorization for the original Pfizer COVID vaccine against the original version of the coronavirus... and it's a whole lot more reserved than the posted claims above. Don't see them saying the vaccine would "stop the virus."

FDA Evaluation of Available Effectiveness Data 

"The vaccine was 95% effective in preventing COVID-19 disease among these clinical trial participants with eight COVID-19 cases in the vaccine group and 162 in the placebo group. Of these 170 COVID-19 cases, one in the vaccine group and three in the placebo group were classified as severe. At this time, data are not available to make a determination about how long the vaccine will provide protection, nor is there evidence that the vaccine prevents transmission of SARS-CoV-2 from person to person." [emphasis added]

https://www.fda.gov/news-events/press-announcements/fda-takes-key-action-fight-against-covid-19-issuing-emergency-use-authorization-first-covid-19

Now, later as the pandemic evolved,  with earlier variants, the science clearly showed that COVID vaccination DID, especially in the months post vaccination, significantly reduce (not prevent) the risks of becoming infected.

As as the virus continued mutating and become better at evading the then current vaccines, that protection against infection waned, and it also waned once people got many months or years past their latest vaccination.

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, rattlesnake said:

I think a lot of people have learnt a valuable lesson. The authorities, the "science", the "experts" do lie, and the "conspiracy theorists" were actually right. Think about how far the Overton window has shifted over the past three years. A reminder below from two years ago, when a call to ban the unvaccinated would get 12 likes and 2 thanks. Today it would get 30 laughs.

Boomer6969 - Ban unvaccinated - 24-02-22.png

I think that Qantas CEO that actually implemented the no vax no fly policy got the boot, good riddance... People forget how extreme these covid warriors actually went... 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

There's a reason they have/do:

As Covid-19 hospitalizations climb, rates among seniors and children raise concern

September 22, 2023

"But a new analysis of federal data from the American Academy of Pediatrics showed hospital admissions among children are rising faster than average. Nearly 1,200 children were admitted to the hospital with Covid-19 during the week ending September 9, marking a five-fold increase over the past three months.

Admissions among children remain below previous pandemic peaks. There were about 1,800 new pediatric admissions in a week at the height of last winter’s wave, and more than 6,500 weekly admissions during Omicron, the AAP analysis shows.

Children accounted for 6% of all Covid-19 hospital admissions during the week ending September 9, federal data shows. And children under 5 were the most at risk, with about half of all pediatric Covid-19 hospitalizations among those younger than 5, according to the AAP analysis."

https://www.cnn.com/2023/09/22/health/covid-hospitalizations-seniors-kids-vaccines/index.html

• Sad 1

…grim statistics…death toll soaring…stark…alarming…disturbing…Disturbingly…fatalities…Shockingly…raising concerns…Covid JN.1……..…headache…

A lot of fear stoking adjectives…

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

I don’t even understand why there are discussions any more. The cdc is still recommending 6 month olds to be vaccinated. That’s enough! That’s enough for me, that should be enough for anyone. No more discussion needed. It’s so asinine, diabolical and against science it’s not even needed to be discussed. Mind you they recommended ALL 6 month olds, meaning children who have had covid already. 

why are people still debating this? Maybe next we can debate if the air is clean in bangkok. 

3 minutes ago, Danderman123 said:

the video calls Trump's claims that the pandemic would go away in 15 days "a lie".

Ok I'm with you on that good catch.....and the other 9...what's say ye

• Confused 1

15 minutes ago, stoner said:

Ok I'm with you on that good catch.....and the other 9...what's say ye

Bullpucky

Like when Biden said that there wasn't going to be a mask mandate, he meant for the general public, not surgeons.

Or politicians saying stupid things = science is wrong.

Nobody lied more than the liars who claimed Covid is a hoax.

Edited by Danderman123
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

59 minutes ago, Robert Paulson said:

I don’t even understand why there are discussions any more. The cdc is still recommending 6 month olds to be vaccinated. That’s enough! That’s enough for me, that should be enough for anyone. No more discussion needed. It’s so asinine, diabolical and against science it’s not even needed to be discussed. Mind you they recommended ALL 6 month olds, meaning children who have had covid already. 

why are people still debating this? Maybe next we can debate if the air is clean in bangkok. 

If you are against babies getting polio, measles and other standard shots, you have a special problem.

• Confused 2
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 2

26 minutes ago, Danderman123 said:

Bullpucky

Like when Biden said that there wasn't going to be a mask mandate, he meant for the general public, not surgeons.

Or politicians saying stupid things = science is wrong.

Nobody lied more than the liars who claimed Covid is a hoax.

good deflection as usual. 

and how do you know what biden meant ? strange you are making such assumptions. 

• Agree 2

32 minutes ago, Danderman123 said:

if enough people had been vaccinated in 2021, yeah the virus could have been stopped. The anti-vaxxers kept the pandemic going.

When was your last booster, and when will you take the next?

If you're in Pattaya, hell, anywhere in Thailand, I'll drive you to the clinic and stop for ice cream and lollipops on the way home.  Bring your whole family and friends of a similar ilk, sundaes are on me.  I haven't taken any shots. If you take all of mine at once I'll take you for a steak dinner. 

• Haha 1