Swiss Tourist Attacked by Buffalo Bear While Feeding in Chiang Dao

webfact

23 hours ago, webfact said:

image.jpeg

A Swiss tourist volunteering for a local wildlife foundation in Chiang Dao, Chiang Mai, was bitten by a buffalo bear while feeding it in its enclosure. The swift response of the rescue team and urgent medical attention were crucial in handling the situation.

On January 25th, news broke of a foreign man, Mr. Stefan Claudio Specogna, aged 32 and a Swiss national, sustaining injuries to his right arm from a buffalo bear at his residence in Nong Pao village, Muang Ngai sub-district, Chiang Dao district, Chiang Mai. Mr. Specogna, a wildlife volunteer, was providing food to the bear when the incident occurred.

image.jpeg

Picture: Daily News

Emergency responders from Phra That Puakam municipality and Muang Ngai sub-district rushed to the scene to find a large buffalo bear in the compound. The injured man's right arm was severely damaged from the elbow down. He was transported to Chiang Dao Hospital for urgent medical treatment.

Preliminary inquiries revealed that the buffalo bear had been properly cared for by the local wildlife foundation in accordance with the law. The bear had originally been under the supervision of Doi Pha Daeng National Park in Chiang Dao since 1993, reported Daily News.

Due to various constraints, the foundation took over its care later, and tragically, during a routine feeding, the volunteer's arm was bitten by the bear, prompting the swift intervention of the rescue team to extract the injured limb.

Top Picture: Daily News

-- ASEAN NOW 2024-01-26

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get your business in front of millions of customers who read ASEAN NOW with an interest in Thailand every month - email [email protected] for more information

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

Join us now!

I bet his travel insurance doesn’t cover his medical expenses

I read that he cut it off at the elbow and that they found the remains shredded in the cage.  Maybe he has a medical background and had an idea what he was doing?

6 hours ago, Gottfrid said:

I was referring to the headline. Who has difficulties reading now? Just take a step back.

Try posting after reading the whole story and step forward

4 hours ago, RJRS1301 said:

I bet his travel insurance doesn’t cover his medical expenses

You seem to know that the volunteer, Mr. Stefan Claudio Specogna, has travel insurance. What insurance is it?

18 hours ago, Foek said:

Cut of his arm? Why not stick the knife in the bear ?

16 hours ago, kidneyw said:

Think I would have used the knife to stab the fcuker first.

14 hours ago, Sigma6 said:

Surely stabbing the bear in the face is the first option, waaaay before cutting off your own hand??

Perhaps the bars of its enclosure, through which he was feeding it, prevented his getting at the bear with his left hand whilst the other arm was being ripped off?   Good to know that you three would have done so much better in that situation.

23 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Why would you laugh at someone losing their Arm ???... 

This was a volunteer at a Wildlife Sanctuary, helping a rehabilitating animals... not someone keeping circus bears locked up in cages.

It was being fed in its cage, which is supposed to be for the safety of those feeding, that doesn't mean its caged up all day... it was in a sanctuary.

The spitefulness and clear absence of intelligence of some posters is so evident sometimes... and then there are the fools you liked your post...  utter idiots.

1 hour ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Perhaps the bars of its enclosure, through which he was feeding it, prevented his getting at the bear with his left hand whilst the other arm was being ripped off?   Good to know that you three would have done so much better in that situation.

I wouldve headbutted the bear Lou. Job done, good night Yogi.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Sigma6 said:
3 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Expand  

I wouldve headbutted the bear Lou. Job done, good night Yogi.

Well, you'd try but you'd just headbutt the bars of the enclosure...goodnight, Sigma6

Edited by Liverpool Lou
  • Haha 1

20 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

There is.  Buffalo bear is the direct English translation of its species from Thai, "miikwai".

Rubbish! There's no such species. It was an Asiatic Black Bear named Sampson. (No, Sampson isn't a species either)

• Sad 1

On 1/27/2024 at 5:48 AM, amykat said:

I read that he cut it off at the elbow and that they found the remains shredded in the cage.  Maybe he has a medical background and had an idea what he was doing?

The reports on the damage to his arm vary depending on the media outlet.

A theory I found plausible suggests that his arm is damaged from the elbow down, but the part he cut off is where the bear clamped on, possibly a chunk of muscle from the forearm.  This was later found shredded in the cage.

This is just my conclusion from reading several reports and viewing the pic in the OP.

• Thumbs Up 1

19 minutes ago, Old Croc said:

The reports on the damage to his arm vary depending on the media outlet.

A theory I found plausible suggests that his arm is damaged from the elbow down, but the part he cut off is where the bear clamped on, possibly a chunk of muscle from the forearm.  This was later found shredded in the cage.

This is just my conclusion from reading several reports and viewing the pic in the OP.

You may well be correct; this pixellated photo from Manager Online News would seem to support your theory.

spacer.png

Edited by gomangosteen
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, Old Croc said:
On 1/27/2024 at 11:59 AM, Liverpool Lou said:

There is.  Buffalo bear is the direct English translation of its species from Thai, "miikwai".

Rubbish! There's no such species. It was an Asiatic Black Bear named Sampson. (No, Sampson isn't a species either)

Asian black bear
Ursus thibetanus, Georges-Frédéric Cuvier, 1823

(In Thai: หมีควาย)

https://www.thainationalparks.com/species/asian-black-bear

"หมีควาย" translates as buffalo bear. Q.E.D.

Edited by Liverpool Lou

2 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Asian black bear
Ursus thibetanus, Georges-Frédéric Cuvier, 1823

(In Thai: หมีควาย)

https://www.thainationalparks.com/species/asian-black-bear

"หมีควาย" translates as buffalo bear. Q.E.D.

It's a local name not that of the species. An Asiatic Black bear probably attacked a buffalo somewhere. Thais have their own terminology for almost everything. It doesn't define a separate species.  Q.E.D.

• Haha 1