Germany backs Thailand’s pursuit of becoming regional EV hub

webfact

image.jpeg

Germany has pledged to increase its stake in the electric vehicle (EV) sector in Thailand, paving the way for the nation to emerge as a regional EV hub, according to Prime Minister Srettha Thavisin. This announcement was made during a press briefing on Thursday, following a discussion with Frank-Walter Steinmeier, President of Germany, who is on a three-day official visit to Thailand, concluding on Friday.

PM Srettha highlighted that the meeting marked Steinmeier’s first visit to the country in 22 years and celebrated the 162 years of cordial relations between the two nations. Germany is currently Thailand’s most significant trading partner within the European Union (EU), while Thailand stands as Germany’s third-largest trading ally within ASEAN.

Both nations have set objectives to elevate their ties to a strategic alliance. The Thai prime minister stated that Germany has shown readiness to back Thailand in its pursuit of renewable energy, aiming to boost electricity production from renewable sources by 50% by 2040.

Furthermore, Germany has expressed its intent to broaden its investments in the Thai EV industry, aiding Thailand in its ambition to become a regional EV manufacturing hub. This commitment extends to supporting Thailand’s sustainable farming initiatives and contributing to the country’s efforts in combating the PM2.5 haze pollution.

by Mitch Connor 

Photo courtesy of Chanat Katanyu

Full story: The Thaiger 2024-01-26

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

Join us now!

5 hours ago, webfact said:

The Thai prime minister stated that Germany has shown readiness to back Thailand in its pursuit of renewable energy, aiming to boost electricity production from renewable sources by 50% by 2040.

Isn't this some trickery by Euro countries offsetting their carbon points within another country?

Something like that I read a couple of months back??

• Confused 1
  • Agree 1

Aren't new and second hand EV sales dropping like a stone? Aren't major manufacturers stopping manufacturing EV's? Not really a good investment unless the Thai government is going to subsidise the hell out of them which is not going to happen.

• Like 2

Very smart the Thais.

Huge car manufacturing plants in thailand.

When i bought my last BMW the dealer invited me down to the plant in Rayong. 

It was very impressive.

And was in an friends MG last week. Massive improvement on the English mad MGs which were absolute krap.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, webfact said:

Germany has pledged to increase its stake in the electric vehicle (EV) sector in Thailand, paving the way for the nation to emerge as a regional EV hub, according to Prime Minister Srettha Thavisin.

That's Srettha projecting the effect of Germany investing in EV sector in Thailand. Not Germany who likely expects its investment to return profitable income.

Whether Thailand becomes an EV hub would be irrelevant to Germany. What is relevant is the future of EV manufacturing not onlyin Thailand but in Indoneasia, Malaysia and Vietnam.

Tesla is already in Malaysia along with Chinese Geely. VinFast in Vietnam was recently listed on the US Nasdaq.

If only they knew that the President of Germany is mostly a ceremonial figure who doesn't have political power and that the Chancellor is the equivalent to Thailands Prime Minister.

• Like 2

I must be a bad man.  Because every time I read about Germany's economic woes brought on by high energy prices, I remember how they dissed the Bad Orange Man for suggesting they didn't want to depend too much on Russia for their gas. 

And I just can't help but smile.

https://www.pbs.org/newshour/world/trump-scolded-germany-for-buying-gas-from-russia-heres-what-we-know

Back on topic, anyone know the amount and balance of trade between Thailand and Germany?

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

8 hours ago, huangnon said:

Right now, Germany and it's utterly inept "green" government should not be lecturing anyone about energy (renewable or otherwise) or "sustainable" farming.

It's amazing how a once great nation took such a brutal nosedive.

They should have sided with the Ruskies and kept the cheap energy, but nay, the woke won the day and Germany is headed back to the stone age.  They're now looking to relocate their industry abroad, in nations with affordable energy and sane policy.  Such a waste. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Purdey said:

How to be a hub of anything without an educated citizenry?

Gender studies never took off here like they did in the West, but the NGOs are working on it.  A skilled workforce is more useful. 

9 minutes ago, impulse said:

on topic, anyone know the amount and balance of trade between Thailand and Germany

Whatever it was, the mess in the Red Sea sure isn't going to improve the situation for either country. 

• Confused 1

2 minutes ago, zhounan said:

Europe will be completely deindustrialized.

Do you think that's been the Elites' plan all along?

I'm genuinely curious, because I can't follow Euro politics.  Too convoluted for me.  Makes no sense to my tiny little pinhead.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1