Thailand plays no role in organizing US-China Talks : spokesperson

snoop1130

10 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

Thailand is pleased to have served as the venue for a meeting between China’s Foreign Minister Wang Yi and US National Security Advisor Jake Sullivan who will meet to discuss about US-China ties and Taiwan issues,

Thailand as a fully neutral country who would never get involved.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, flyingtlger said:

The headline and the article are totally the opposite....

How is that? 

I am not saying that Thailand did or did not, I didn't even know that there was a meeting , 

But I dont see why the US and China would need a third country to do that. 

According to this article, if I understood it correctly, Thailand has facilitated the meeting by providing a neutral setting , but played no role in organising it.  

Perhaps there is a confusion between organising the facility and organising the meeting. I am sure the outline, subject matter and ,attendance was negotiated between the state departments of The US and China. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

On January 26-27, National Security Advisor Jake Sullivan will meet with Chinese Communist Party Politburo Member, Director of the Office of the Foreign Affairs Commission, and Foreign Minister Wang Yi in Bangkok, Thailand. This meeting continues the commitment by both sides at the November 2023 Woodside Summit between President Biden and President Xi to maintain strategic communication and responsibly manage the relationship.

https://www.whitehouse.gov/briefing-room/statements-releases/2024/01/25/statement-from-nsc-spokesperson-adrienne-watson-on-national-security-advisor-jake-sullivans-meeting-with-director-wang-yi/

Call me crazy but I feel like this is a "good" thing.

National Security Advisor Jake Sullivan is traveling to Bangkok, Thailand from January 25-27. There, he will meet with the Prime Minister of the Kingdom of Thailand Srettha Thavisin and Deputy Prime Minister/Foreign Minister Parnpree Bahiddha-nukara. In these meetings, Mr. Sullivan will reaffirm the importance of the U.S.-Thailand treaty alliance and partnership and discuss opportunities to strengthen cooperation across a range of bilateral and global issues. 

https://www.whitehouse.gov/briefing-room/statements-releases/2024/01/25/statement-from-nsc-spokesperson-adrienne-watson-on-national-security-advisor-jake-sullivans-travel-to-thailand/

Interestingly, Thailand disavowed any connections to this meeting. Normally Thai officials are quick to claim credit for all sorts of diplomatic actions, and fake-quote other government's officials.

Edited by bamnutsak

'Thailand plays no role in organizing US-China Talks' - I would like it known that I have made no attempt to bring the Russia/Ukraine war to an end on the grounds that I am too insignificant to be listened to by both sides.

• Haha 1

The US and China should just decouple, no more travel, business, trade, etc with each other......let Communism or Democracy survive without the other, I personally believe the US should not have any dealings with any communist country, or any country they do business with (without heavy sanctions/tariffs applied), shut off the money train to communist and they will fall. The unbalanced US trade with China is the reason we are dealing with an aggressive China, end the funding of their military buildup, let them fall like the USSR did. We should be doing business with countries that embrace democracy, and do business and trade with those poorer countries that embrace those ideals. Maybe then Thailand can finally pick a side that meets their ultimate goal, whatever that may be.

At such a high-level choreographed meeting such at there will be a lot of bilateral side meetings with the host arranged around it. Thailand is cleverly playing both teams to gain maximum advantage.  Good luck to them.

23 hours ago, lordgrinz said:

The US and China should just decouple, no more travel, business, trade, etc with each other......let Communism or Democracy survive without the other, I personally believe the US should not have any dealings with any communist country, or any country they do business with (without heavy sanctions/tariffs applied), shut off the money train to communist and they will fall. The unbalanced US trade with China is the reason we are dealing with an aggressive China, end the funding of their military buildup, let them fall like the USSR did. We should be doing business with countries that embrace democracy, and do business and trade with those poorer countries that embrace those ideals. Maybe then Thailand can finally pick a side that meets their ultimate goal, whatever that may be.

I've got Joe McCarthy on the other line calling from the 1950s do you want to accept the call !

1 hour ago, beautifulthailand99 said:

I've got Joe McCarthy on the other line calling from the 1950s do you want to accept the call !

I knew it, the front desk switched our calls again, I got your call from Mao on the other line too, let me talk to the front desk and get the right callers to the right people ;-)

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, lordgrinz said:

I knew it, the front desk switched our calls again, I got your call from Mao on the other line too, let me talk to the front desk and get the right callers to the right people ;-)

One of the great moments of the 20th Century.

• Confused 1