Using Latex Glue as wallpaper paste.

jimrod

I'll be using TOA latex adhesive for wallpapering and I just wanted some guidance.

Firstly, is there a recommended split of adhesive and water for the right consistency?

Secondly, I was thrown a curved ball by someone saying I should paste the wall, not the paper. Is that good advice? Is it optional, as I'd rather do it old school?
TIA

• Confused 1

It sounds like you've never hung wallpaper before. I'm not suggesting it's an overly difficult task, but speaking from experience, there is a certain knack required that is only learned by mucking the job up on the first attempt. 

I agree with jacko, paint it.

• Thumbs Up 1

6 hours ago, jimrod said:

I'll be using TOA latex adhesive for wallpapering and I just wanted some guidance.

Firstly, is there a recommended split of adhesive and water for the right consistency?

Secondly, I was thrown a curved ball by someone saying I should paste the wall, not the paper. Is that good advice? Is it optional, as I'd rather do it old school?
TIA

You can buy wallpaper paste in plastic bottles quite easily.

For best results I paste both the wall and the paper !

This way it stays up for years.

At an absolute minimum you should wash the wall down with a damp sponge before you put up a strip of paper. This cleans the wall of any dust and the pasted paper sticks easier to a the damp surface. Just wash or paste a strip of wall 60 cm wide before each strip , not the whole wall at once. The problem paper hanging in Thailand is that sometimes it is so hot that the water evaporates from the paste and wall quickly so you need to work quite fast. If things dry out the paper won't stick.

Make sure you work to a plumb line to start off. Cut each strip of paper a couple of inches too long. You can cut off the excess with a razor cutter when the paste has dried. ( don't  cut when still wet )

If you have never hung paper before plenty of tutorial YouTube videos. Thai ones best as they are used to local conditions.

Use a proper , wide pasting brush so you can work up to speed.

Edited by Denim
  • Thumbs Up 2

I'm not asking for advice on whether it should be painted or not. I'm not looking to hire someone. I've always done my own decorating but with the more traditional solvite. If I had it, I wouldn't have started this thread.

Using latex is new to me, I'll get there, but I thought maybe pop in here and get some views.

• Confused 1
  • Love It 1

56 minutes ago, Gsxrnz said:

It sounds like you've never hung wallpaper before. I'm not suggesting it's an overly difficult task, but speaking from experience, there is a certain knack required that is only learned by mucking the job up on the first attempt. 

I agree with jacko, paint it.

It should sound like, I've never done it with latex before. That's all.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

36 minutes ago, Denim said:

At an absolute minimum you should wash the wall down with a damp sponge before you put up a strip of paper. This cleans the wall of any dust and the pasted paper sticks easier to a the damp surface. Just wash or paste a strip of wall 60 cm wide before each strip , not the whole wall at once. The problem paper hanging in Thailand is that sometimes it is so hot that the water evaporates from the paste and wall quickly so you need to work quite fast. If things dry out the paper won't stick.

Make sure you work to a plumb line to start off. Cut each strip of paper a couple of inches too long. You can cut off the excess with a razor cutter when the paste has dried. ( don't  cut when still wet )

If you have never hung paper before plenty of tutorial YouTube videos. Thai ones best as they are used to local conditions.

Thanks for this mate. I've done loads of wallpapering, but it's good to get responses like this. My concerns are about how quickly it may dry too.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, steven100 said:

Paint it and put a dado rail 1.0m up from the floor .... it'll look better.

I did wallpaper at our farm years ago,  and after 6-8 years it started lifting where the paper joins were ...

The decision is made, Stephen. To be honest, I've never seen paint looking better. It's a personal preference, I guess.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, jimrod said:

TIA

We bought a new house in Pattaya that has wallpaper in every room, some of which is starting to look a bit tatty. I started to remove some in the bedroom, what a nightmare! I don't know what glue was used, but to remove it from every room would be a massive and messy job that could take weeks. My advice is to paint.

Peter A new wall will require seeling,paint diluted paste directly onto the wall otherwise you will never be able to slide the paper to line it up. 

When dry apply past to wall paper, put plenty on but avoid lumos or thik bits. You will need a wall paper brush to smooth tbe paper on the wall 

Hope this helps. 

13 hours ago, jimrod said:

TIA

Read directions?

• Sad 1

13 hours ago, jimrod said:

TIA

you dont use latex glue or any glue for wallpaper. They make a paste for wallpaper and you need to use that. If you do it with a latex or any other glue you will never be able to remove it in the future with extreme difficulty

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

51 minutes ago, Dan O said:

you dont use latex glue or any glue for wallpaper. They make a paste for wallpaper and you need to use that. If you do it with a latex or any other glue you will never be able to remove it in the future with extreme difficulty

Agreed. Overkill. I always used the paste shown in the bottle above.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Denim said:

Good advice long straight ruler helps also.

Watch a vid on  YouTube 

prime the wall. glue the wallpaper 

Use a table with woof on top , Wall paperers  have a special table with wood planks on top for applying glue, and cirring the paper with razer blades.  a thin piece of cheap plywood will work for you 

Follow the instructions regarding paste, 

Pay attention  on the pattern repeat . 

be carefully  of vertical and horizontal lines , often the corners are not straight or even and the lines will extenuate the discrepancies.  

I once did a wallpaper with butterflies, the pattern repeat was on the wings, I had a heck of the time and a lot  of waste to match  the joints . It was the last wallpaper I ever did LOL

Good luck . let us know how it turned out. 

6 hours ago, Denim said:

I get bored looking at vast expanses of painted wall so as a contrast I sometimes put up a wall papered section , panelled in to give contrast and be a backdrop for pictures etc. Our first small 2 up and 2 down in Bangkok. 15 years ago but the buyers of that house say the paper is still sticking.

bike 005.jpg

bike 001.jpg

Me like second one

2 hours ago, giddyup said:

I started to remove some in the bedroom, what a nightmare! I don't know what glue was used, but to remove it from every room would be a massive and messy job that could take weeks.

try using a stand steamer. works on rubber cement, should work on latex... you can also use a sticker remover spray or wd40 if you dont mind the smell... use the steamer first and if it isnt enough add a little spray of your choice

stand steamer.jpg

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, jimrod said:

TIA

Never used the latex stuff. My folks used to mix flour and water (not self-raising), but that was in the bad old days when everyone was poor and flour was cheap. 

It pays to size dry walls with a diluted paste and I always soak the paper before hanging. Can you buy pre-pasted paper here?

3 hours ago, Pouatchee said:

try using a stand steamer. works on rubber cement, should work on latex... you can also use a sticker remover spray or wd40 if you dont mind the smell... use the steamer first and if it isnt enough add a little spray of your choice

stand steamer.jpg

do a whole wall thats been latex glued with that and get back to us and let us know how it goes. You wont be happy 

27 minutes ago, Dan O said:

do a whole wall thats been latex glued with that and get back to us and let us know how it goes. You wont be happy 

well... you have a better option to suggest?

when you're stuck between a rock and a hard place sometimes your only option is the pick

10 minutes ago, Pouatchee said:

well... you have a better option to suggest?

when you're stuck between a rock and a hard place sometimes your only option is the pick

Yeah, option 1 is dont use latex or any glue, use the wall paper paste made for it.

Option 2 is use the steamer on wallpaper thats been pasted correctly and it works? On glue not so much. Don't even think about the adhesive remover or wd40. 

Option 3 they make an extra thin gypsum board to cover the fiasco a glued wallpaper removal job leaves. Rather than waste days trying to remove it, put up new gypsum up over it and start fresh. . 

57 minutes ago, Dan O said:

Option 3 they make an extra thin gypsum board to cover the fiasco a glued wallpaper removal job leaves. Rather than waste days trying to remove it, put up new gypsum up over it and start fresh. . 

only thing is your electric outlets are gonna need some tweeking.

of course your option 1 is the right one... but who does the right thing?

the wd40 does work but the spray adhesive remover is the best... smells like citrus too.... just a bit expensive, but if it is my house ill do wat i gotta do...

As someone who used to take down a lot of wallpaper I can tell you it comes down without destroying the wall only it was applied correctly including priming the walls beforehand.  Every once in a while we would get a job where the hanger cut corners and we would be pulling off pieces the size of a thumbnail for days instead of pulling off whole sheets in seconds. 

• Agree 1