Teen dies in Bangkok after motorcycle chase ends in horror crash

webfact

48 minutes ago, webfact said:

The motorcycle, a black Honda Wave 110i, lay wrecked at the rear of the garbage truck, with its bumper severely dented from the impact.

I didn't know Honda waves had bumpers. 

• Like 1
  • Love It 1

54 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

What is a 17 year old teenager doing at 3.15am on the streets?

Thai police will let any driver of any age drive at any speed at any time. Consequences be damned. Worse than useless they are.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, ALLSEEINGEYE said:

A bit odd that they feel it necessary to report almost every article of clothing he was wearing right down to the high tops (which is completely useless info) but fail to mention the most important article missing....a HELMET!!!! 

and to add to that the lack of enforcement re wearing helmets, a while back in Phuket the police did start cracking down re helmets on a regular basis, and it was noticeable that Thais and foreigners alike started to wear them (better than the fine), then of course the police stopped the check points and went back to sitting in the police stations, and slowly everyone stopped wearing helmets .. and now everyone can drive passed a policeman, without a helmet, and not get stopped. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ALLSEEINGEYE said:

A bit odd that they feel it necessary to report almost every article of clothing he was wearing right down to the high tops (which is completely useless info) but fail to mention the most important article missing....a HELMET!!!! 

Darn the reporter was probably quoting from the fashion police, he was told to speak to the Royal Thai Police. 

Idiot! 

I knew it. These motorcycles are made for racing, particularly at night. Alcohol will be a good speed(!) enhancer. Free spirit without helmet.

In my neighbourhood I can see the result of similar accident every day: Tetraplegic High School Student (formerly)

Another life lost. RIP.

3 hours ago, Thaindrew said:

and to add to that the lack of enforcement re wearing helmets, a while back in Phuket the police did start cracking down re helmets on a regular basis, and it was noticeable that Thais and foreigners alike started to wear them (better than the fine), then of course the police stopped the check points and went back to sitting in the police stations, and slowly everyone stopped wearing helmets .. and now everyone can drive passed a policeman, without a helmet, and not get stopped. 

The crackdown on motorcyclists not wearing helmets in Phuket is strictly to make money for the police.  Go north to Phang Nga and almost no one wears a helmet there.  Only touristy places and Bkk have any helmet enforcement.  Thais just don't do helmets.  I always wear one.

2 minutes ago, swerve said:

The crackdown on motorcyclists not wearing helmets in Phuket is strictly to make money for the police.  Go north to Phang Nga and almost no one wears a helmet there.  Only touristy places and Bkk have any helmet enforcement.  Thais just don't do helmets.  I always wear one.

Agreed...  & the solution is simple and doesn't even involve fines the poor people can't pay... 

It just takes effort from the Police, which is why it won't happen, especially as there is no money to skim off...

But... IF (big if) the Police simply confiscated the keys of any motorcyclist riding without a helmet and they didn't get their keys back until they had a helmet in hand, this would force riders to wear the helmet and also show that it is the helmet wearing itself which is a priority.

Sure, some would get their mates helmet and not bother putting it on the next day, but over time the potential inconvenience would yield results...

... the issue of course is that this is an inconvenience to the Police and we can't have that !!.

• Thumbs Up 2

7 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

I'm sure the deceased's family and friends see it differently to you... 

I see it as young criminal gang members chasing other young criminal gang members.  one of them died. 

had the accident not occurred, there would have been a shooting or a knifing or a bashed in skull from a tire iron.

end result the same.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I guess next you will tell us that only idiots drink alcohol. And only idiots have sex - they could get some disease. 

Do you do anything risky in your life?

And if not, do you have a life?

Motorcycles are FAR more dangerous than alcohol and sex.

And they are actually the number 1 cause of death in Thai children 

23 minutes ago, NoDisplayName said:

I see it as young criminal gang members chasing other young criminal gang members.  one of them died. 

had the accident not occurred, there would have been a shooting or a knifing or a bashed in skull from a tire iron.

end result the same.

Exactly. 

I ain't losing sleep over this one.

One less hoodlum on the streets. 

3 hours ago, FruitPudding said:

And, will that convince any young person not to ride a bike?

No. Riding a bike is fun. Especially together with friends.

And we all die. Some of us sooner, others later. That's life. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

11 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

And, will that convince any young person not to ride a bike?

No. Riding a bike is fun. Especially together with friends.

And we all die. Some of us sooner, others later. That's life. 

Some youngsters have sense.

51 minutes ago, FruitPudding said:

Really? How many of them?

I think being young is a time to have fun, get experience, make mistake, and learn.

Having sense is a possibility, but it sounds very boring.

17 hours ago, FruitPudding said:

Actually, drowning is the leading cause of death in 1-17 year olds in Thailand, but transport injuries is also excessively high and perhaps a close second...   

The primary reason for that is 'no helmets'...     IF every person on a motorcycle wore a helmet (including children) we'd see the death and severe head injury rates plummet... 

That doesn't mean a binary argument exists that motorcycling is suddenly safer, its still more dangerous than a car or taking a bus... 

BUT...   what alternatives are there when there is no convenient public transport ? and socio-economics means all poor families have motorcycle and not a car ?

So.. this 'dichotomised' argument of 'Motorcycles dangerous - Cars safe' is flawed because society does not live in that binary world - the odds and stats can significantly be altered when authorities enforce safety measures. 

1 hour ago, OneMoreFarang said:
2 hours ago, FruitPudding said:

I think being young is a time to have fun, get experience, make mistake, and learn.

Having sense is a possibility, but it sounds very boring.

I'm pretty sure that any young person will want their own scooter / motorcycle...  that desire for independence and freedom is more instinctual than anything else. 

I'm already planting the seed for my son that in no uncertain terms, he is not getting a motorcycle, he is not going on the back of any motorcycle his friends have, he's not going on any motorcycle taxi's. 

8 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

I'm pretty sure that any young person will want their own scooter / motorcycle...  that desire for independence and freedom is more instinctual than anything else. 

I'm already planting the seed for my son that in no uncertain terms, he is not getting a motorcycle, he is not going on the back of any motorcycle his friends have, he's not going on any motorcycle taxi's. 

Sure.

And what will you do if he is 5min away from your home and then he uses a bike in any way?

When I was young, I didn't do too many crazy things. But if my father told me I can't do that, that was definitely no reason not to do it. 

I have no kids. And if I would have kids, I obviously wouldn't want that they have any motorcycle or any other accidents.

I would send them to motorcycle schools. And then to racing schools - if they want that.

Then they learn how to ride and if they want to race, they can do that on a closed circuit which is built with security in mind.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTij5aVqz5cvXXaaIApiDZ

40 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Sure.

And what will you do if he is 5min away from your home and then he uses a bike in any way?

Hit the jeffing roof !!!!!...    

There's a lot of whatiffery involved with planning for the future and educating our children, hopefully by then he'll be able to make his own informed decisions... But before he can, his 'informed decisions' will involve the knowledge that if he does something such as 'riding a motorcycle'  or going on one, there will be a strong reaction.

At 18 he'll be able to drive our car...   but most likely he'll be overseas at Uni anyway - so he'll be out of that potential motorcycle loop anyway.... 

The greater risk as I see it is lunch breaks at school and just after school IF one of his mates has a bike and they decide to pop out on it... I have no control over that... but will still guide him not to.

40 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

When I was young, I didn't do too many crazy things. But if my father told me I can't do that, that was definitely no reason not to do it. 

I have no kids. And if I would have kids, I obviously wouldn't want that they have any motorcycle or any other accidents.

I would send them to motorcycle schools. And then to racing schools - if they want that.

Then they learn how to ride and if they want to race, they can do that on a closed circuit which is built with security in mind.

Thats a little different and doesn't really prevent the area of greatest risk... which IMO peer pressure and getting on the back of a mates bike.... Thankfully, the sort of school he's at is not one where many kids would have their own bike anyway - but some may.

1 hour ago, richard_smith237 said:

Actually, drowning is the leading cause of death in 1-17 year olds in Thailand, but transport injuries is also excessively high and perhaps a close second...   

Interesting,  last time I looked road deaths were slightly ahead of drowning. Perhaps, it has changed. 

BUT...   what alternatives are there when there is no convenient public transport ? and socio-economics means all poor families have motorcycle and not a car ?

Yeah, I get that in many cases there's no choice. 

I was just replying the other guy who compared the risk to sex or alcohol, which I pointed out wasn't a great comparison as motorcycles are far riskier.

So.. this 'dichotomised' argument of 'Motorcycles dangerous - Cars safe' is flawed because society does not live in that binary world - the odds and stats can significantly be altered when authorities enforce safety measures. 

It seems pretty clear in Thailand, at least 

2 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Probably varies from place to place, depending on upbringing.

Obviously,  I have no exact answer to this.

How does becoming quadriplegic or brain damaged fit into this ideology?

Having sense is a possibility, but it sounds very boring

Who said life was supposed to be exciting?

38 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Hit the jeffing roof !!!!!...    

There's a lot of whatiffery involved with planning for the future and educating our children, hopefully by then he'll be able to make his own informed decisions... But before he can, his 'informed decisions' will involve the knowledge that if he does something such as 'riding a motorcycle'  or going on one, there will be a strong reaction.

At 18 he'll be able to drive our car...   but most likely he'll be overseas at Uni anyway - so he'll be out of that potential motorcycle loop anyway.... 

The greater risk as I see it is lunch breaks at school and just after school IF one of his mates has a bike and they decide to pop out on it... I have no control over that... but will still guide him not to.

Thats a little different and doesn't really prevent the area of greatest risk... which IMO peer pressure and getting on the back of a mates bike.... Thankfully, the sort of school he's at is not one where many kids would have their own bike anyway - but some may.

In case you have no or little experience with riding bikes:

Most accidents can be avoided. Many accidents happen when riders overestimate their abilities or the abilities of the bike they ride.

When people learn to ride and learn to race then they learn the limitations of the bikes and their own limitations. Having learned those (at least a little) will help tremendously not to make stupid beginner mistakes like: sure, I can do that.

I made some of those mistakes when I was young. Luckily the worst I had was a couple of abrasions and a little blood, nothing serious. And I learned from my mistakes.

I would have loved to go to a (racing) riding school and learn how to ride properly. I am sure I wouldn't have tried some stunts if I would have learned what to do and not do in such a school.

And about riding yourself and riding on the back of a bike: Basically every rider hates to ride on the back with anybody else. It feels much more dangerous and obviously there is nothing you can do when you are on the back of a bike. And the rider possibly wants to show off - with you on the back. So all in all I stay with my argument of having my own bike and learned how to ride.

But obviously that is only my personal opinion. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, FruitPudding said:

How does becoming quadriplegic or brain damaged fit into this ideology?

Who said life was supposed to be exciting?

I don't know anybody who thought of possible consequences from an accident. Obviously we all knew it was possible. And many of us had friends who died on bikes. But that was part of life - it only happened to few people.

I think life should be exiting. Otherwise, what's the point? 

10 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

In case you have no or little experience with riding bikes:

Most accidents can be avoided. Many accidents happen when riders overestimate their abilities or the abilities of the bike they ride.

When people learn to ride and learn to race then they learn the limitations of the bikes and their own limitations. Having learned those (at least a little) will help tremendously not to make stupid beginner mistakes like: sure, I can do that.

I made some of those mistakes when I was young. Luckily the worst I had was a couple of abrasions and a little blood, nothing serious. And I learned from my mistakes.

I would have loved to go to a (racing) riding school and learn how to ride properly. I am sure I wouldn't have tried some stunts if I would have learned what to do and not do in such a school.

And about riding yourself and riding on the back of a bike: Basically every rider hates to ride on the back with anybody else. It feels much more dangerous and obviously there is nothing you can do when you are on the back of a bike. And the rider possibly wants to show off - with you on the back. So all in all I stay with my argument of having my own bike and learned how to ride.

But obviously that is only my personal opinion. 

I agree with what you write mostly...  But its still a hard no with regards to my Son riding a motorcycle.

He will not be taught to ride a motorcycle as IMO, thats the same as giving him permission...  Instead he is being taught that in no uncertain terms riding a motorcycle is a hard no.

You also pointed out that 'most motorcycle' accidents can be avoided, agreed, many through training but there is another facet that you didn't mention and that is experience and understanding. 

When I first came here I wanted to get a motorcycle but quickly realised how dangerous it is here without any experience of how traffic moves and the unpredictability. I rented bikes in the quieter area's when visiting, but not in Bangkok, I instead got a car... It was only later on that I got a motorcycle and I believe it is that 'understanding' of how the traffic moves and works here that has helped me avoid accident...

...so its not just understanding how to operate a bike, but also having that understanding and instinct of the traffic 'culture' around you...  that can't be taught and is why I think traffic here is exponentially more dangerous for teens.

• Like 1