Car Blocking the Entrance to my House.

23 minutes ago, Jumbo1968 said:

With 7 pages of comments it’s difficult to keep track of what I have said, nothing worse that some looking to trip you up on some thing you may have or not have said. You must have spent forever trolling through the 7 pages of comments looking to troll me.

Not looking to trip you up at all Jumbo...    having started off offering advice... the story has changed a little thats all.

Perhaps the reason I am interested in this thread is that you have suggested this policeman has deliberately parked his brothers car outside of your house, because you are a foreigner.....

This is obviously making you feel uncomfortable, but you may be misinterpreting the signals...  

I've been trying get a clearer picture from you, not to catch you out, but to see if this guy really is being deliberately difficult, or is simply parking in a spaces and is not thinking any more of it...  if its the latter, you have no need to feel bad about this situation and there is a simple fix.

If you are drip feeding information then its difficult to get a true picture... for example, this page is the first you've mentioned that your wife got involved at all...  thats new info... 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, MrAscii said:

Since I'm not Thais. I wonder if talk and ask help to phu yai ban about the issue can help? In my country usually it works. Phu yai ban will talk to the car owner and usually (although not all) respect what he said.

A good idea if such a person still exists. I think Phu Yai Ban are only a thing in rural village areas.

There might be an equivalent in the cities, but I can't think of one, other than the "Tessakit". 

• Like 1
  • Love It 1

34 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Not looking to trip you up at all Jumbo...    having started off offering advice... the story has changed a little thats all.

Perhaps the reason I am interested in this thread is that you have suggested this policeman has deliberately parked his brothers car outside of your house, because you are a foreigner.....

This is obviously making you feel uncomfortable, but you may be misinterpreting the signals...  

I've been trying get a clearer picture from you, not to catch you out, but to see if this guy really is being deliberately difficult, or is simply parking in a spaces and is not thinking any more of it...  if its the latter, you have no need to feel bad about this situation and there is a simple fix.

If you are drip feeding information then its difficult to get a true picture... for example, this page is the first you've mentioned that your wife got involved at all...  thats new info... 

Bigger picture, straight forward enough car blocking my access , wife spoke with Policeman I spoke with car owner, car still there end of, I don’t think any further explanation required.

• Thumbs Up 2

30 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Well, it is 'your picture' so you can see it anyway you want....  But, its clear you are uncomfortable with the situation enough to come on this forum and complain about it. 

Its also clear you have no intention of resolving the issue and are not interested in taking any advice on the issue.

Perhaps you are 100% correct, the Thai Policeman told his brother to park in front of your house and deliberately block you in because they're both ignorant and racist against 'farangs'...  and they've proven that by ignoring your and signals and your wife....   :whistling:

Your the expert what action would you after approaching both people who are party to the car being parked where it is. Short of hiring a tow truck and having it towed away bearing in mind it isnt illegally parked just an inconvenience. If it was in the U.K. it would be towed away as it doesn’t have valid road tax and I assume no insurance

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Jumbo1968 said:

Your the expert what action would you after approaching both people who are party to the car being parked where it is. Short of hiring a tow truck and having it towed away bearing in mind it isnt illegally parked just an inconvenience.

You haven't had a proper conversation yourself with them yet.... 

By your own information, you've gone up to someone with dyed hair who was stood next to the car and made hand gestures, you were ignored and probably completely misunderstood (based on info you have provided, I'm assuming this was the house owners brother and owner of the car).

Since page 7 of this thread, you have also introduced the information that your Wife went round to the house to speak with someone, was it the house owner who is a Policeman? or the brother and owner of the car ? and she was ignored (you haven't mentioned what was said in this conversation). 

You can't speak Thai, so its very difficult for you to *communicate yourself directly about this.

What I would do is something you can't - I'd go myself and speak to the house owner directly.

I'd take a bottle of cheapish Whisky (i.e. Blend) and explain that I can't drive my car into my car port because of where that car is parked... can he come with you and can you both push it forwards 5m so you can get into your car-port.

This was suggested by a number of posters very early on in the thread.

You can't do that, because you can't speak Thai... So.. the next best step is to get a Thai male friend of yours to go around there with you, again with a bottle, and explain.... 

If all that fails and your 'bottle' gift is rejected and he says 'clear off' you are left with few choices. 

a) ignore the issue 

b) wait for the car to move and park your car there for a few weeks

c) try and push the car 5m yourself (just enough so you can get access to your car port).

d) Make a formal complaint to the Tessaban and ask them to visit the house and ask them to move the car (this may require a 'donation).

9 minutes ago, Jumbo1968 said:

If it was in the U.K. it would be towed away as it doesn’t have valid road tax and I assume no insurance

Irrelevant...  this is not the UK.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

Im curious whats the Mrs suggestion other than dont get confrontational?

Does she have a possible solution ?

Edited by riclag

4 minutes ago, JimTripper said:

Not if she is doing a silent treatment.

Maybe she got over it . Sometimes wives come to their senses after a day of being angry and seeing their honey

out of sorts, sometimes.

5 minutes ago, riclag said:

Maybe she got over it . Sometimes wives come to their senses after a day of being angry and seeing their honey

out of sorts, sometimes.

I guess so. If that did not happen eventually it may be time to move on.

On 2/1/2024 at 6:36 PM, charleskerins said:

His driveway is on the other side and it's a narrow street ?

OP does not own the road.  The car is not parked across the front of his driveway.  It is parked on the road.  If the *ickhead with the spoiler on his car moves it.  Someone else will just park there.  Unsolvable problem.  

3 minutes ago, Adumbration said:

OP does not own the road.  The car is not parked across the front of his driveway.  It is parked on the road.  If the *ickhead with the spoiler on his car moves it.  Someone else will just park there.  Unsolvable problem.  

It would appear that this is the first time this has happened and the area is not that busy. 

Op has already pointed out that he'll put 'tyres' down as a 'pls do not park here' measure, which is what others in the neighbourhood have done.

Op hasn't answered if there is space outside the car owners house to park, or if the car can be pushed forwards 3-4m whether or not that would solve the issue.

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

It would appear that this is the first time this has happened and the area is not that busy. 

Op has already pointed out that he'll put 'tyres' down as a 'pls do not park here' measure, which is what others in the neighbourhood have done.

Op hasn't answered if there is space outside the car owners house to park, or if the car can be pushed forwards 3-4m whether or not that would solve the issue.

When are you planning your first trip to Thailand?

I am speaking from experience here.  I had a three story house in the heart of Phuket old town many years ago.  I owned the lot next door also and built a double carport there.  Across the narrow road was a snooker hall in which the local police gathered to divide up their tea money. I erected three signs/barriers (one on the roadside and one on the road at each side of my driveway) written in Thai asking please not to park and block my driveway.  Thais would just move the signs and park there anyway.

I had six bikes when I lived in that house and so when some *ick parked there I would just park two of my older bikes with the steering locked infront and behind the vehicle.  Three or four of the guys burred up at me and then I would just point to the signs and to my CCTV camera.  All of them had to get other Thais to help them drag my bikes out of the way.

My solution was to sell the house as it is an unsolvable problem.  Nothing will change the self entitled, selfish and lazy nature of Thai men.  Nothing.

Edited by Adumbration
  • Sad 3

7 minutes ago, Adumbration said:

When are you planning your first trip to Thailand?

I am speaking from experience here. 

You are projecting from one example... that and making the flawed assumption that other situations are exactly the same as yours.

Over two decades here has shown me that there can be a whole spectrum of issues, some can be dealt with, others can't.

You didn't have the connections to resolve your own issues and have therefor projected that when a problem arises elsewhere, its unresolvable. 

This is an easily resolvable issue, the Op is simply failing to take the correct steps.

I had a three story house in the heart of Phuket old town many years ago.  I owned the lot next door also and built a double carport there.  Across the narrow road was a snooker hall in which the local police gathered to divide up their tea money. I erected three signs/barriers (one on the roadside and one on the road at each side of my driveway) written in Thai asking please not to park and block my driveway.  Thais would just move the signs and park there anyway.

I had six bikes when I lived in that house and so when some *ick parked there I would just park two of my older bikes with the steering locked infront and behind the vehicle.  Three or four of the guys burred up at me and then I would just point to the signs and to my CCTV camera.  All of them had to get other Thais to help them drag my bikes out of the way.

The situation you describe is different from the Ops - your comparison of multiple people parking in front of your car-port outside a snooker club is not the same as one person parking in front of the Ops carport in a residential estate.

My solution was to sell the house as it is an unsolvable problem.  Nothing will change the self entitled, selfish and lazy nature of Thai men.  Nothing.

Slightly incorrect...   There was 'nothing you could do' to change the self entitled, selfish and lazy nature of the Thai men you were exposed to, because you have not integrated enough into society to develop the contacts who can assist you in resolving such issues....   

You started your response with 'when are you planning your first trip to Thailand ?'...  comment as an attempt to point score and imply I know nothing of solving issues here, in doings so you have actually highlighted that you haven't managed to scratch the surface.

Its very likely I could have had your issue resolved quite easily with just a single phonecall. 

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, Adumbration said:

My solution was to sell the house as it is an unsolvable problem

Nope.... I had around 2 metres removed from my front fence and had a wider gate fitted, it allows you to drive your car in on an angle. 

I've never had an issue since gate was installed. 

PROBLEM SOLVED 

Edited by SAFETY FIRST
  • Like 1

On 2/1/2024 at 5:42 PM, Adumbration said:

Is it rear wheel drive or front wheel drive?

If rear wheel drive just put trolley jack under the diff and move it.

If it is front wheel drive you will need two trolley jacks.

Go to the local mechanic and pay one of the lads to come to your house with the trolley jacks to help you.

Shouldn't cost you more than 500 baht to solve the problem.

< Insulting comments edited out >

Too much work.

I had a car randomly show up and park in front of my gate... same scenario as the OP.

I hooked up a tow strap and skull dragged it out of the way.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Ralf001 said:

Too much work.

I had a car randomly show up and park in front of my gate... same scenario as the OP.

I hooked up a tow strap and skull dragged it out of the way.

Sure you did - lol

• Haha 1

If the OP spent a fraction of the time he spent on this 7 page thread, the problem would be solved. But he's too afraid to go and talk to the car owner, claiming he's the brother of a policeman, or his wife doesn't want to go that route, or he doesn't live in a village, doesn't know what the tessabaan is there for or some past interactions with someone else. Either way, he's more interested in posting about the subject than resolving it, you can't help those unwilling to listen. 

Edited by bbko
  • Like 1

59 minutes ago, bbko said:

If the OP spent a fraction of the time he spent on this 7 page thread, the problem would be solved. But he's too afraid to go and talk to the car owner, claiming he's the brother of a policeman, or his wife doesn't want to go that route, or he doesn't live in a village, doesn't know what the tessabaan is there for or some past interactions with someone else. Either way, he's more interested in posting about the subject than resolving it, you can't help those unwilling to listen. 

Agree with your assessment above.

OP is just wimpy.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

Nope.... I had around 2 metres removed from my front fence and had a wider gate fitted, it allows you to drive your car in on an angle. 

I've never had an issue since gate was installed. 

PROBLEM SOLVED 

They were not parking across the road from my driveway.  They were parking in front of my driveway.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, Adumbration said:

They were not parking across the road from my driveway.  They were parking in front of my driveway.

Selling your house didn't solve any problems, the same thing will happen to your next house whether you buy or rent. 

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

On 1/31/2024 at 4:44 PM, Jumbo1968 said:

A car was ‘dumped’ more or less directly opposite the gates of my house last week meaning I can’t get the car indoors now, it’s a narrow Soi. It’s years old, sporty type with huge spoiler on the boot, full of junk, there is what looks like a Police ID Card hanging inside it, it’s covered in dust and hasn’t been taxed for years. 
I have discovered it belongs to the Policeman’s brother who lives a few houses down the Soi, my Thai wife says don’t say anything as we will be hassled by the Police if we report it. The other day a Thai with dyed yellow hair started ‘dusting’ the car down, I approached him and asked when is he going to move ii as it was blocking the access to my house,blank look then indicated it doesn’t start. My Thai wife went off it saying I shouldn’t have said anything resulting in her going in a no speaking mode for the next few hours. She said you might speak to people like that in England but not in Thailand, I wasn’t aggressive just asked how long was it going to be there for.

Obviously nothing illegal about where the car is parked but it’s totally inconsiderate and ignorant to have parked his car there more so he blanked me when I asked him when he was going to move it.

I have had it drummed into me by the wife....... you say nothing......not even politely.......and certainly never say anything to anyone connected to Thailand's finest.

On the matter of the car, my father had a similar problem and the car mysteriously caught fire one night.

It is wrong, I know, to assign a characteristic trait to a whole nation, but if I were to do so I would say Thais are totally lacking in empathy.

• Love It 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

I haven't read through the whole 7 pages of this thread so sorry if this has been mentioned before.

Any one who does not comprehend that parking in front of someone els'e drive way is not good behavior is obviously living in a different version of reality. 

It is pointless to try normal rational discussions/arguments with such a person, they are not in the same orbit as you.

You have to think and act outside the box. Just don't let anyone know it's you.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

I have seen such problems before ,, My 1st solution is to open your garage and park your vehicle across the road so you cannot manouvre any more due to the dumped vehicle , then it becomes a community problem when no one can go down the soi and the Thais will soon  deal with the  policeman  and his ill bred family .  they will have lost face in front of the community....

My 2 and 3rd solutions would be more drastic and sneaky .....and yes having Army , Navy or Airforce friends will be a real benefit the police  are terrified  when they become involved

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

Drag or push the car out into the middle of the road so it's blocking all traffic, then park your car in the space so he can't get it back, then go indoors open a beer and watch him dealing with all the angry Neighbours who cant get past.

:whistling:

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1