Car Blocking the Entrance to my House.

9 hours ago, Jumbo1968 said:

No, we live very central close to the school, shops etc, I would to think this is only a short term issue.

Not clear who owns this property.  Your wife or is it rented?  If rented would be talking with owner about the problem and let them handle it.  If owner is there a way to reconfigure entry (as you mention even without that car it is an issue)?

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Sheryl said:

It is not a matter of thinking one is "too good to speak Thai to a foreigner nor necessarily that the Thai spoken is heavily accented. 

My Thai is fine and readily undrerstood but I have still encountered people -- usually  poorly educated ones with little to no prior exposure to foreigners -- who  freak out at the site of one and effectively shut their ears because they do not know it is possible for a foreigner to speak Thai.

I don't think so. I encounter Thais of all education levels and they have zero problems with my Thai or that of a foreigner who speaks Thai well.

Sometimes they compliment it afterwards. 

If anything, its the poorly educated Thais who have zero knowledge of any foreign language who do NOT expect to hear anything but Thai, even from a foreigner. Also, these days there are more and more foreigners who speak Thai anyway, including western actors who star in TV lakorns.

I have had Thai colleagues tell me they or their Thai friends (who are also quite successful businessmen) that they don't understand my Thai speaking Burmese colleagues too well, but the one I'm thinking of, doesn't speak emmaculate Thai anyway, though it's reasonably good. The other thing is, his phone connection, being located in Myanmar, though near the Thai border, is often poor.

Like I said, virtually the ONLY times and they're rare indeed, that I get anyone refusing to speak Thai to me is when engaging with a small section of highly educated Thais. Usually doctors, lawyers, university professors and the like. I know they know I speak Thai well, but they refuse to speak it because they feel speaking Thai to a foreigner is beneath them or something. I usually shut down on them as a result as it feels like a personal insult.

I think it could be that your Thai simply isn't good enough, because outside of the situations I've described you won't encounter this very much at all.

You will encounter it frequently if your Thai isn't relatively fluent though. Frankly, that's to be expected in any country and isn't an issue. It's only when you're fluent in the language and know you are, but due to local attitudes, some locals may refuse to speak their language with you. This happens only rarely in Thailand, though first encounters, especially in tourist areas usually involve a Thai attempting to speak English first just because they rarely encounter anything but foreign tourists who don't speak the local lingo.

Edited by Highlandman
  • Sad 3
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Jumbo1968 said:

Hopefully I will wake up in the morning and all your comments have been removed, sounds like you have been in the bar and now trolling people at home.

Other people have critiqued your comments even more than I have, but you seem to have some sort of personal vendetta against me. 

Piece of advice - this is the internet. Don't like criticism, don't come here. I haven't said anything different to anyone else, I only used different words. 

FYI I rarely venture into bars. 

• Confused 2
  • Sad 2
  • Thanks 1

Since I'm not Thais. I wonder if talk and ask help to phu yai ban about the issue can help? In my country usually it works. Phu yai ban will talk to the car owner and usually (although not all) respect what he said.

18 hours ago, In Full Agreement said:

Your reply reminds me of years ago when an Australian man engaged in road rage by  getting a machete out of his car's boot and threatening the Thai driver in front of him.     Afte rthe police showed up and the Aussie was talking to the cop, the Thai man came up along side him and cold cocked the life out of the elderly Australian man.     Never saw a follow up to the story but for sure that punch had to hurt if not do permanent damage.

This one?

16 minutes ago, bbko said:

This one?

Wether the foreigner was right or wrong there is no need to resort too violence, the little girls was hysterical and the Thai fella was still threatening the old fella obviously had no compassion, what he had done to offend the Thai fella, brave man when his friends were with him.

Any other country and the Thai fella who throw the punch would have been cuffed and thrown in a police van.

Edited by Jumbo1968
Edit

For god sake, what a load of old <deleted> this entire topic is.

Go talk to the family. be polite explain the issue. Unless they have consciously decided they want to screw you over, they will move the damn car.  

• Agree 1

On 2/1/2024 at 10:35 AM, NoshowJones said:

Why did you not hit him back?? In the 17 years I have lived here in Thailand I have never laid my hand on a Thai, but if a Thai hit me and there was no back up except maybe one man I would not hesitate to hit him back, then again, a farang would only need to threaten me with violence to make me immediately lash out.

Yeah, take an eye for an eye....? Same old story. It's embarrassing ☹️

• Sad 2

On 1/31/2024 at 4:44 PM, Jumbo1968 said:

A car was ‘dumped’ more or less directly opposite the gates of my house last week meaning I can’t get the car indoors now, it’s a narrow Soi.

So where do you park your car now in this narrow soi if you can't get it on your own property?

• Thanks 1

On 1/31/2024 at 5:49 PM, Jumbo1968 said:

Is it to do with their lack of education, I had thoughts of getting someone to phone a car removal truck and take it away, that way it couldn’t be traced back to me.

Why would anyone agree to steal the car to help you out?

• Sad 2

On 1/31/2024 at 6:27 PM, brianthainess said:

Park you car outside your house and block the road. Then tell anyone that complains where the offender lives.

The OP will then become an offender also, he has no more right to the road outside his house anymore than the broken down car's owner does.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

On 1/31/2024 at 6:34 PM, Jumbo1968 said:

We had an instance in the last house where the neighbour parked an old bike opposite the house just to annoy us,

It's not an isolated incident, then; have you thought that perhaps you and your wife are the problem!?

Edited by Liverpool Lou
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 2

21 minutes ago, newbee2022 said:

Yeah, take an eye for an eye....? Same old story. It's embarrassing ☹️

It's a great feeling when some troublemaker without any provocation threatens to knock your head off and you

give him a Glasgow kiss. 😃

32 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

It's not an isolated incident, then; have you thought that perhaps you and your wife are the problem!?

It’s an isolated incident no one has ever dumped a non running vehicle there before.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

So where do you park your car now in this narrow soi if you can't get it on your own property?

In the same Soi opposite some ones house who doesn’t live there now, passed away a few weeks ago, I park where he used to park his car.

1 hour ago, n00dle said:

For god sake, what a load of old <deleted> this entire topic is.

Go talk to the family. be polite explain the issue. Unless they have consciously decided they want to screw you over, they will move the damn car.  

There is no family, Policeman is living on his own,  my wife spoke to about the car and he just replied it’s his brothers, not sure he has moved in with him. I asked the fella to move it but he blanked me. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Just now, Jumbo1968 said:

There is no family, Policeman is living on his own,  my wife spoke to about the car and he just replied it’s his brothers, not sure he has moved in with him. I asked the fella to move it but he blanked me. 

You described a guy with dyed hair...  and then talk about 'the fella'.... 

Is 'the fella' with dyed hair actually the guy who lives down the road ?...   is this the man you are calling the Policeman's brother...  

You are not being very clear.

• Sad 1

Just now, richard_smith237 said:

LL is correct... Its not an isolated incident from the perspective of having issue with neighbours. 

...And this itself could be the issue...     Your own perspective is out of whack, you are seeing this as a direct affront to you, rather than what it could be, someone just parking their car on the road in a spot they think is free....

But.. it seems you'll find any reasoning to consider this an act of targeted ignorance and avoid dealing with a very simple issue.

Of course it’s an isolated incident the other one occurred over 5 years ago at a different property, we don’t go out picking fights withe neighbours every other week.

• Thumbs Up 1

Just now, richard_smith237 said:

You described a guy with dyed hair...  and then talk about 'the fella'.... 

Is 'the fella' with dyed hair actually the guy who lives down the road ?...   is this the man you are calling the Policeman's brother...  

You are not being very clear.

My wife spoke to the Policeman, he said it was his brothers car but as we know here brother can just be Thai terminology for a relation or friend.

• Thumbs Up 1

Of course it’s an isolated incident the other one occurred over 5 years ago at a different property, we don’t go out picking fights withe neighbours every other week.

Yet one neighbour picked a fight with you, and you believe another is now doing similar ?... 

My wife spoke to the Policeman, he said it was his brothers car but as we know here brother can just be Thai terminology for a relation or friend.

OK.. time for claricication...

Who owns the house down the road ?   A Policeman ? (any idea what rank ?).

Who owns the car ?   A policemans brother (or friend referred to as brother ) ?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, PJ71 said:

Detective Dicky is now on the case, all will be resolved soon.

And I am not even going bother to answer his questions as it won’t make any difference, my wife approached the Policeman I approached the car owner and got negative replies from both.

Edited by Jumbo1968
Edit
  • Like 1

On 2/2/2024 at 5:23 PM, Jumbo1968 said:

And I am not even going bother to answer his questions as it won’t make any difference, my wife approached the Policeman I approached the car owner and got negative replies from both.

Changing your story ?... You initially mentioned your wife wouldn't get involved... and now you are saying she approached the policeman, so which is it ??

And you mentioned you approached a guy with dyed hair... is it the policeman with dyed hair, or is that his 'brother' ??

You don't have to acknowledge my questions of course and ignore me ) - It seems you're not bothered about resolving the issue anyway which makes me wonder why you bothered posting in the first place, unless all you wanted to do was post a rant about Thai's being ignorant.

But... it is interesting that now you say you have received 'two' negative responses from two different people... this is the first mention of this in 7 pages of this thread.

7 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Changing your story ?... You initially mentioned your wife wouldn't get involved... and now you are saying she approached the policeman, so which is it ??

And you mentioned you approached a guy with dyed hair... is it the policeman with dyed hair, or is that his 'brother' ??

You don't have to acknowledge my questions of course and ignore me (just I like I do with PJ71) - It seems you're not bothered about resolving the issue anyway which makes me wonder why you bothered posting in the first place, unless all you wanted to do was post a rant about Thai's being ignorant.

But... it is interesting that now you say you have received 'two' negative responses from two different people... this is the first mention of this in 7 pages of this thread.

With 7 pages of comments it’s difficult to keep track of what I have said, nothing worse that some looking to trip you up on some thing you may have or not have said. You must have spent forever trolling through the 7 pages of comments looking to troll me.

Edited by Jumbo1968
Edit
  • Agree 2