Share Your Favorite Restaurants In Phangan

post-167599-0-70696100-1375243757_thumb. post-167599-0-62493400-1375244574_thumb.

I have to give Angels Bay restaurant a mention. One of the nicest locations in KP on Hin Kong beach and certainly one of the most romantic. When the weather permits, the sunsets and evening skies here are amazing. The food's pretty good as well, especially the pizzas baked in their wood fired oven, although my personal favourite is the tuna tartare.

On the road to Srithanu 200 meters past the Jam (on the left of course)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

The Pasta

The neverending pasta carbonara discussion (cream/no cream bacon/ham good bacon bad bacon) ends right here in the kitchen. This cook will only make it 1 way: and that is the right way!

so with cream is the right way then? if so i ll stick to jennis,

it does look like a good alfredo though.

i do have to try angiuds restauraunt next time i am there. likely next week! yippee

Edited by GirlDrinkDrunk

I'll tell everybody a secret:

I put milk cream in the Carbonara just because foreign customers are expecting a creamy pasta.

Absolutely we never use it back in Italy.

Just an egg mixed with plenty of fresh grated Parmigiano and black pepper.

Fried bacon (or real pancetta) and then stir fried for a 30" with the al dente cooked spaghetti, then close the fire and mix in the pan with the egg++.

Not too strong, not too soft.

Buon appetito!

• Like 1

I put milk cream in the Carbonara just because foreign customers are expecting a creamy pasta.

I use coconut milk. wink.png

sick.gif

Try it, I use it all the time as substitute for milk and cream.

http://www.finecooking.com/articles/cooking-with-coconut-milk.aspx

I am going to give you the honour of first place for absolutely ruining a traditional dish.

Nobody has any "Hole-in-the-wall" mom and pop shop where the locals dine?

Surely you can't afford to always eat at the tourist traps, can you?

I mean seriously...........180 bt, that's about 5 US$ for a Hamburger with NO FRIES!!

Hell, at least McDee's gives fries and a soft drink with that!

If this is Phangan-specific, street vendors do sell basic stuff for a few tenners. There's a handful of eateries in Thong Sala where you can have a basic rice dish (say, rice + chicken) for 70 baht or so.

I believe the Phantip night market in Thong Sala has all sorts of stuff for less than 100 baht, but I don't eat those things so can't say for sure. The night market area in T Sala is generally a decent place to eat cheaply, quality varies.

Here's a few suggestions for great food around the island.

The night market in Tong Sala is a great place with lots of variation, although as Angthong mentioned the quality does vary a lot!

There's a brilliant little restaurant in TongSala just opposite the entrance to Asia hotel reception , its called FunFai, its only open in the day and its usually full around mid day as its a popular locals ' lunch break ' stop.

Great health food option in chaloklum at the Wake Up Wakeboarding restaurant.

Just as you're about to go around the corner from ban tai to ban kai there's another really nice place on the right hand side called NongWiw

7-11 do a really bad hot dog too if you're dying and everything else is shut ;)

• 1 month later...

Ando Loco (http://www.andoloco.com/) in Thong Sala is by far my favorite restaurant on Koh Phangan. Truly authentic Mexican food cooked by a team that knows what they are doing. He uses the best ingredients usually sent from the USA and Mexico. Delicious and authentic. Yum!

Ando practically grew up working in Mexican Restaurants in Chicago. He has trained his staff well. My favorite dishes include Tequila Lime Shrimp, excellent Buffalo wings, all kinds of Quesadillas, fish tacos and a variety of crunch tostadas. And the Margaritas of various flavors are great too.

Anything you want to know or ask about Koh Phangan, Ando knows the answer or where to find it - he's been living there for almost 10 years. He's also the funniest man on KP!

• 4 weeks later...

Café de la Mocca - Pizzeria Chaloklum
(best Pizza & Grappa on the island)

Mama Poo - Sritanu
(Authentic and cheap Thai Food)

Crave - Haad Yao
(Best burgers north of Tongsala)

Mukataa in Bantai (opposite School)
(Best Thai BBQ on Koh Phangan)

Ice Cream Factory (Ban Maduawaan)
(Try the coconut, durian or Pumpkin Ice Cream)

Edited by JoeLing

Café de la Mocca - Pizzeria Chaloklum

(best Pizza & Grappa on the island)

Mama Poo - Sritanu

(Authentic and cheap Thai Food)

Crave - Haad Yao

(Best burgers north of Tongsala)

Mukataa in Bantai (opposite School)

(Best Thai BBQ on Koh Phangan)

Ice Cream Factory (Ban Maduawaan)

(Try the coconut, durian or Pumpkin Ice Cream)

Thanks for the recommendations Joe. I will definitely try some of them on my next 'break' on KPN. (I live on Samui!)

But........................ I will not be trying the Ice Cream Factory. Coconut, durian or pumpkin ice cream - yuk.

What happened to triple chocolate with chocolate chips and chocolate sauce? (OK maybe rum and raisen with real rum too?)

• Like 1

I always find it odd that Mama Poo gets so many rave reviews. They're nice people and it's cheapish, but for me, that's it pretty much... The food is tasteless, and I'm not talking about lack of chilli. It's hardly an attractive place either...

Edited by AngThong
  • Like 1

I always find it odd that Mama Poo gets so many rave reviews. They're nice people and it's cheapish, but for me, that's it pretty much... The food is tasteless, and I'm not talking about lack of chilli. It's hardly an attractive place either...

Yeah, not attractive but definitely an attraction after a lot of rain whistling.gif

In fact, such an attraction that people sit on the table to eat despite of the restaurant being flooded.

The food is good, authentic and cheap but if there are more then 4 people, you might need to wait

quite a while for your food.

Yeah, not attractive but definitely an attraction after a lot of rain whistling.gif

In fact, such an attraction that people sit on the table to eat despite of the restaurant being flooded.

The food is good, authentic and cheap but if there are more then 4 people, you might need to wait

quite a while for your food.

Maybe I don't order the right dishes, or maybe it's because I don't do spices so I always order a "no spices" version. But I do that everywhere and some still manage to produce very tasty dishes - say, High Mountain just a mile north of Mama Pooh. Not so Mama Pooh... Yeah, sure is a sight after rain giggle.gif

• 4 months later...

The problem on this island is that the quality is not consistent. One day a dish is outstanding, and then the other day it is so bad that I don't go back to the restaurant. And I am not talking about food stalls and Panthip market, but about resorts and restaurants. I used to eat out 4-5 times a week with wine and all, but last 2 months it's only twice a week. I made the choice to cook myself more often.

The only 2 restaurants I keep visiting is Cosmopolitan in the walking street and Fisherman. Especially Cosmopolitan, because I know they use good ingredients and the kitchen is clean (European/ Italian owners)

This week I am going to visit Cafe della Mocca, and I feel this one is also a winner. Homemade pasta, u-i… who can resist this?

Oh, also an important detail: restaurants offering resident's discount are also in my favour, Angels Bay is one of them. Nice British owner btw.

I just think it is a nice gesture when the bill is 'firm' enough and you eat there often.

Hygiene, good ingredients using not the cheapest stuff… very important.

This food talk makes me hungry… bye!

Edited by Soulwy

• 9 months later...
  • 1 month later...

As I live on Samui, I never expected to give a KPN restaurant a recommendation but.........

.......................we went to Haad Salad Beach Resort with some friends on Saturday and I have to say that the red snapper pla sam rod was outstanding.licklips.gif

A large - genuine red snapper with plenty of flesh. A nice chubby one. Not the small skinny things that you see quite often on Samui (and not one of the 'look alike' red snappers)

Very tasty and more than enough for two people. Other table guests were very happy with the prawns in red curry sauce and the green curry with chicken - but I never got past the snapper with garlic fried rice and mixed veggies.

Good food. 6 happy and full people. cool.png Well done.

PS it is not featured on the menu - but ask for it. thumbsup.gif

Edited by Tropicalevo
  • Like 1

I'm really enjoy "Blue Chili" Restaurant near the Kupu Kupu resort, its also well rated on Tripadvisor. went there like 4 times and was always happy.

Does anyone know a good place for high quality sushi? I'm willing to pay more if necessary

Also I'm looking for a place where I can eat FRESH whole fish, grilled or steamed...anyone? :)

I'm in the western part of the island.

• 6 months later...
  • 1 year later...
On 10/24/2013 at 3:49 PM, marcgold said:

Ando Loco (http://www.andoloco.com/) in Thong Sala is by far my favorite restaurant on Koh Phangan. Truly authentic Mexican food cooked by a team that knows what they are doing. He uses the best ingredients usually sent from the USA and Mexico. Delicious and authentic. Yum!

Ando practically grew up working in Mexican Restaurants in Chicago. He has trained his staff well. My favorite dishes include Tequila Lime Shrimp, excellent Buffalo wings, all kinds of Quesadillas, fish tacos and a variety of crunch tostadas. And the Margaritas of various flavors are great too.

Anything you want to know or ask about Koh Phangan, Ando knows the answer or where to find it - he's been living there for almost 10 years. He's also the funniest man on KP!

+1 Ando's Burger is quality as well.

• 8 months later...

Don't care about the food as long as it's edible. My favourites are the restaurants with a sensational view eg any restaurant on the waterfront in Chaloklum and Plaas' on the cliff at Than Sadet.

Plaas has the best view I ever found anywhere in Thailand.

Only other one worth mentioning is the Mai Pen Rai restaurant also on Than Sadet. Not as great a view as Plaas, but the restaurant itself is amazing.