The Move Forward party court case

snoop1130

DSC00932.jpg

Another day, another hearing at the Constitutional Court for Thailand’s Move Forward Party. Last week, former party leader Pita Limjaroenrat faced the court alone. He was accused of owning shares in a media company (iTV), an illegal act for members of parliament in Thailand.

The conservative-majority court cleared Pita, ruling that iTV had sat defunct since 2007 – an unexpected win for the progressive party and its supporters.

But it wasn’t over yet. The Move Forward party was back in the hot seat this week, accused of overthrowing the constitutional monarchy, for its pledge to amend the lèse-majesté law during their election campaign last year. The case rested on ambiguous legislation, and was presented by a pro-establishment lawyer.

Caption: Pita, as he was swarmed by news media // Photo by Anisha Satya

Full story: Thai PBS 2024-02-01

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

Join us now!

• Sad 2
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, newbee2022 said:

I'm not a clairvoyant but I would say "mission accomplished". By the government. 

MFP will be dissolved and they will start under a new name with a new leader. 🙏

The third renewal for this group. 

With each generation, splinter [revised] groups are weakened and less significant than their predecessors.......with more and more writs and mandates forced upon them. 

Instead of the same old rhetorical cycles and discourse that appear to be mundane, why not spark a truer rebellion within the Thai political machine. Stop playing their game.

Societal uprisings have been known to occur. 

• Haha 1

Pita is a charismatic leader .

Many people who voted for MFP voted for him .

MFP will probably be dissolved , but could reappear under a new name ...

But Pita will probably be banned from politics for 10 years or more ... he is too well-liked and poses a threat by that .

What the people want does not matter here ...

The only way the dinosaurs could be truly defeated is by a bloody uprising, a revolution. Unless the blood of the martyrs paints the Democracy Monument red, the elites will keep their grasp on society. May the hearts and minds of the young Thai be opened and the hopes of the nation flourish!

• Like 1

On 2/2/2024 at 2:18 AM, mark131v said:

When will the populace wake up and realise they are being shafted by a few fat hi-so's and their corrupt nepotism ridden families and supporters?

Only when Russians wake up to Putin , the Chinese to Li Qiang and the CCP , the North Koreans to Kim Jong Un .......plus many others.

The Thais know perfectly well they are being shafted by the powerful Rich and have frequently protested the fact. However , when the bullets start flying it's hard to fight back when you are un armed and un organized.

I remember when Pita was nothing. The face of Future Forward consisted of Thanathorn, Pitabutr and Pannika (she is currently banned for life from holding a political position).

Now all three are members of the Progressive Movement, Move Forward outside Parliament as it were, prominent behind, and sometimes in front of, the scenes.

At that time Pita was in the news not in the way he intended, his ex-wife alleged he hit her. But following the dissolution of FF, he stepped up to the role of championing MF.

I'm sure others will do so in the third reincarnation.

Someone recommended the name Kao Mai ( New Step), I like that!

Some here are pessimistic, saying only a bloody revolution will change things, but the clock is always ticking, time is on MF's side, as are the young and many middle aged. The elite are old....nuff said!

13 hours ago, sidneybear said:

Good to see these so called 'progressives' getting slapped down. Thailand is proud of its traditions and the monarchy is an integral part of what holds Thailand together. 

That's right let's keep the serf's in their places wouldn't want anything to derail the hi-so's gravy train or god forbid drag Thailand out of the middle ages!

Sarcasm alert for the hard of thinking....

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

9 hours ago, mark131v said:

That's right let's keep the serf's in their places wouldn't want anything to derail the hi-so's gravy train or god forbid drag Thailand out of the middle ages!

Sarcasm alert for the hard of thinking....

You're being ironic rather than sarcastic. Why on earth would you hang around Thailand if you despise it so much? If it's so backward, why wouldn't you go and live in the 'progressive' West? After all, things are so much better there, aren't they?

• Sad 2

1 hour ago, mark131v said:

No!

Right is right and wrong is wrong and what's happening in Thailand is wrong

The if you don't like it go home argument is also the last stop for the dumb or the apologist, it leads me to wonder which one are you?

If you believe what has happened with regards to the last election is good and honest I truly think you need to give your head a good wobble!

I won't hold my breath some people are too far gone your post's would indicate a dislike of democracy and a like of autocracy and dictatorship, I hope I am wrong but I don't think I am.....

You're one of those people who comes to Thailand and then starts preaching about how much better things are in the west. 

The west is a dump, which is why you're in Thailand. But only your own view of progress will satisfy you. Progress to you is turning Thailand into a mirror of America,  place where democracy has in any case ceased to exist, and nobody has any respect for anyone else.

Thankfully, Thailand ignores people like you and preserves its charming traditions, customs and ways. This sometimes means kicking out western sponsored shills like Move 'Forward', which is fine because the end justifies the means. 

Go home if you hate it in Thailand. 

• Sad 3

6 hours ago, sidneybear said:

Thankfully, Thailand ignores people like you and preserves its charming traditions, customs and ways. 

No!

Corruption, nepotism, dictatorship, hypocrisy, ignoring their people, crushing any dissent, lying, deceiving, disappearing any dissent, jumping into bed with Russia and China, are these the charming traditions and customs of which you speak?

You're a lost cause I fear....

• Like 2

2 hours ago, mark131v said:

No!

Corruption, nepotism, dictatorship, hypocrisy, ignoring their people, crushing any dissent, lying, deceiving, disappearing any dissent, jumping into bed with Russia and China, are these the charming traditions and customs of which you speak?

You're a lost cause I fear....

All of what you say applies to wherever it is you come from. I'll grab just one of your words as an example - nepotism - and ask you how many politicians in the US sport the surname Kennedy or Bush? Should we go further through your list?

Anyway, you hang around Thailand and refuse to go home, even though you insult the place and disparage it as somehow backward. That says a lot, about you, sadly. 

• Sad 1

51 minutes ago, GarryP said:

Aren't you allowed to say anything negative about Thailand? There is a lot that is good, but there is a lot that is totally effed up too, including the attempts at holding on to power by the dinosaurs, military, crooked politicians, oligarchs, puppet judiciary, etc. which does not benefit the people of the country only their own pockets. The system is screwed and needs reform.   

Sadly, these reform ideals have been half-heartedly attempted throughout the decades with little success. 1-2 percent of the collective doesn't bend anything. But, if there was a true universal and organised bonding of the population - that might be a tipping point. Maybe. 

Long general strikes might get their attention and weaken their hold some. Yet, trimming the selective branches does to resolve the problem[s] - the base decay is still there. Severing and removing the roots and tradition might be a difficult choice for some. 

• Like 1