UNRWA Faces Funding Crisis Amid Allegations, Guterres Appeals for Continued Support

image.png

The United Nations Relief and Works Agency for Palestine Refugees (UNRWA) faces a potential collapse of its vital humanitarian operations in Gaza due to funding suspensions following allegations of employee involvement in Hamas attacks. Despite this, UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres calls for continued support.

Key Points:

• Allegations: Around 12 UNRWA employees were accused of involvement in an October attack on Israel, prompting funding pauses from major donors like the US.
  • Humanitarian Crisis: Gaza's 2.2 million residents, 85% displaced, face dire conditions with food insecurity and lack of basic supplies.
  • Guterres' Appeal: He urged member states to resume funding, emphasizing UNRWA's critical role as the "backbone" of humanitarian aid in Gaza.
  • NGO Warning: 28 organizations, including Oxfam and Save the Children, warn of a "complete collapse" of humanitarian response if funding isn't restored.
  • Supporters and Concerns: While the EU and some others advocate for UNRWA's role, they express concern about the allegations and seek clarification.
  • Death Toll: Gaza's health ministry run by Hamas reports nearly 26,900 deaths and 66,000 injuries due to the ongoing conflict. Hamas does not distinguish between combatant deaths and civilian deaths.

Uncertainties:

• Will major donors like the US resume funding UNRWA?
  • How will the alleged employee involvement be addressed?
  • Will the humanitarian crisis in Gaza worsen without UNRWA's operations?

Outlook:

The funding suspension creates a critical situation for Gaza's population and throws UNRWA's future into uncertainty. Resolving the allegations and securing continued funding are crucial to prevent a further humanitarian disaster.

Source

image.png

The idea that we must disband (Israel's wishes) or de fund a UN agency is absolutely absurd to me.

We are the UN. It is formed from almost 200 nations that work together to solve global problems. The people in charge are elected to these positions by the UN security council - our government's ambassadors. Employees of these agencies are known to each and every contributing government, and to Israel. There is transparency and accountability.

Are people really suggesting that the world cannot be trusted?

• Sad 2
  • Agree 1

7 minutes ago, Brickleberry said:

The idea that we must disband (Israel's wishes) or de fund a UN agency is absolutely absurd to me.

We are the UN. It is formed from almost 200 nations that work together to solve global problems. The people in charge are elected to these positions by the UN security council - our government's ambassadors. Employees of these agencies are known to each and every contributing government, and to Israel. There is transparency and accountability.

"UNRWA" 

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

"UNRWA" 

It isn't a private entity, it is a UN sanctioned and set up organization. 

'We', as in 200 nations, constantly renew its mission through our governments at UN security council meetings.

Essentially, Israel is saying the world and its organizations cannot be trusted. Bear in mind that the 'evidence' that has been submitted by Israel cannot be verified even by the US. They say the claims are credible, but cannot be verified. Essentially saying "we believe you, but there's no actual proof"

• Sad 1

29 minutes ago, Brickleberry said:

It isn't a private entity, it is a UN sanctioned and set up organization. 

'We', as in 200 nations, constantly renew its mission through our governments at UN security council meetings.

Essentially, Israel is saying the world and its organizations cannot be trusted. Bear in mind that the 'evidence' that has been submitted by Israel cannot be verified even by the US. They say the claims are credible, but cannot be verified. Essentially saying "we believe you, but there's no actual proof"

@Brickleberry

It doesn't matter whether it's private or not. Being a UN organization does not imply it's beyond reproach or can do not wrong. Wouldn't be the first, or the last.

You do not represent 200 nations. You do not even represent one. And now, there are more and more governments of donor countries who see things differently than you. They have a better claim for 'we' than you.

Essentially, you're deflecting and misrepresenting facts. Israel did not made a comment about 'the world'. You have no idea regarding the evidence, as well.

• Confused 1

5 hours ago, Bkk Brian said:

Its been a major issue not just for Israel for years:

September 29, 2021

European Parliament demands changes in UNRWA’s Anti-Israel Curriculum, or lose EUR 20m

Considering that's from September 29, 2021 and the P.A. write the school books, it's a bit of a non-starter.

The biggest problem for the Israeli's is the refugee status for all since 1948.

• Confused 1

55 minutes ago, Jeff the Chef said:

Considering that's from September 29, 2021 and the P.A. write the school books, it's a bit of a non-starter.

The biggest problem for the Israeli's is the refugee status for all since 1948.

Whys it a non starter, it is clear proof that these concerns have been around for a long time and not just Israel, read my post. Who writes the books makes no difference, its who delivers the teaching with them.

6 hours ago, Bkk Brian said:

Its been a major issue not just for Israel for years:

September 29, 2021

European Parliament demands changes in UNRWA’s Anti-Israel Curriculum, or lose EUR 20m

• Like 1

The judgement  - no civilised country ends up in the ICJ accused of genocide. Period. And now they smear everything and anything that supports that truth. Shameful.Putin can only dream of the viciousness that Israel has unleashed on Gaza. Amalek indeed.

Edited by stats
unsourced graphics removed
  • Confused 2
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, beautifulthailand99 said:

The judgement no civilised country ends up in the ICJ accused of genocide. Period. And now they smear everything and anything that supports that truth. Shameful.Putin can only dream of the viciousness that Israel has unleashed on Gaza. Amalek indeed.

Your hyperbole aside, how do you explain all them donor countries taking the evidence presented rather seriously?

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, beautifulthailand99 said:

The judgement  - no civilised country ends up in the ICJ accused of genocide. Period.

Any Country can take any other Country to the ICJ on any accusation they like , so just a Court case means absolutely nothing .

At the Court case, the ICJ didn't find Israel guilty of Genocide 

• Like 2

The judgement  - no civilised country ends up in the ICJ accused of genocide. Period. And now they smear everything and anything that supports that truth. Shameful.Putin can only dream of the viciousness that Israel has unleashed on Gaza. Amalek indeed.

"They live through the unliveable"

That doesn't make any sense, because if it was unliveable, then they wouldn't be able to live through it 

• Like 1

The judgement in full and now my sourced graphic again. What was telling was the Court represents its judgement as a statement of fact not that South Africa asserts this. Israel and its backers fully realise this and that's why the sustained and intense campaign to smear UNWRA and the UN generally is in full swing.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2024/01/26/world/middleeast/icj-gaza-provisional-ruling.html

lazzarini.png

Edited by beautifulthailand99

The judgement in full and now my sourced graphic again. What was telling was the Court represents its judgement as a statement of fact not that South Africa asserts this. Israel and its backers fully realise this and that's why the sustained and intense campaign to smear UNWRA and the UN generally is in full swing.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2024/01/26/world/middleeast/icj-gaza-provisional-ruling.html

lazzarini.png

What does it have to do with the allegations leveled at UNRWA?

• Agree 1

More details about how this started and how things developed:

Original story from the NYT:

The 8 Days That Roiled the U.N.’s Top Agency in Gaza

https://www.nytimes.com/2024/02/03/world/middleeast/united-nations-gaza-unrwa.html

And the Haaretz version (which does not require signing up/sub etc):

Israeli Military Surprised by Leak of UNWRA Accusations, Report Says

https://www.msn.com/he-il/news/other/israeli-military-surprised-by-leak-of-unwra-accusations-report-says/ar-BB1hJ2CB

• Agree 1

8 minutes ago, Morch said:

What does it have to do with the allegations leveled at UNRWA?

I posted a link to a Channel 4 interview with a previous director of UNWRA but it appears to have been removed.It basically said that blaming UNWRA for a few bad eggs was akin to damning the whole of the NHS because of Lucy Letby. I post the key findings of the Court unapologetically as many seem to think they didn't accuse them of genocide means they are absolved of all responsibility for the crimes that are being committed in a daily basis in the Occupied Territories. Israel is outraged at the provisional judgment and in my opinion doing all it can to smear these August bodies whose aim and motivations are welfare not warfare UNWRA being a particular case in point.

• Confused 1

11 minutes ago, beautifulthailand99 said:

I posted a link to a Channel 4 interview with a previous director of UNWRA but it appears to have been removed.It basically said that blaming UNWRA for a few bad eggs was akin to damning the whole of the NHS because of Lucy Letby. I post the key findings of the Court unapologetically as many seem to think they didn't accuse them of genocide means they are absolved of all responsibility for the crimes that are being committed in a daily basis in the Occupied Territories. Israel is outraged at the provisional judgment and in my opinion doing all it can to smear these August bodies whose aim and motivations are welfare not warfare UNWRA being a particular case in point.

But this wasn't about 'a few bad eggs'. Deeper and wider than that.

Israel (or at least, the IDF) did not seem to plan this, as detailed in another recent post.

And all of your nonsense does not address this - if there's nothing to it, how come all them governments of donor countries acted the way they did?

2 hours ago, beautifulthailand99 said:

lazzarini.png

More off topic deflection

• Agree 1

32 minutes ago, Morch said:

But this wasn't about 'a few bad eggs'. Deeper and wider than that.

Israel (or at least, the IDF) did not seem to plan this, as detailed in another recent post.

And all of your nonsense does not address this - if there's nothing to it, how come all them governments of donor countries acted the way they did?

Well then publish it the OP article mentions 12. As to why other countries have I don't know maybe it is APAIC US led Zionist 'Put' to purloined a stock market term and a solidifying of the US coming war coalition.

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, beautifulthailand99 said:

Well then publish it the OP article mentions 12. As to why other countries have I don't know maybe it is APAIC US led Zionist 'Put' to purloined a stock market term and a solidifying of the US coming war coalition.

Do some research, far more than 12, over 1,200 are members of Hamas or Islamic Jihad

• Thanks 1

On 2/4/2024 at 9:10 AM, Bkk Brian said:

Do some research, far more than 12, over 1,200 are members of Hamas or Islamic Jihad

Acceptable source please rather than trust me bro which appears to be the rather quaint archaic rules that apply in this realm. Found it much famed Israeli Intel that was asleep at the wheel on October 7th in the absence of independent verification I'll put that in the Pinochio drawer along with the WMD lies of times past. https://www.timesofisrael.com/israeli-intel-shows-10-of-unrwa-workers-in-gaza-have-ties-to-terror-groups-report/

Edited by Rimmer
off topic removed
  • Confused 2
  • Agree 1

10 minutes ago, beautifulthailand99 said:

Acceptable source please rather than trust me bro which appears to be the rather quaint archaic rules that apply in this realm. Found it much famed Israeli Intel that was asleep at the wheel on October 7th in the absence of independent verification I'll put that in the Pinochio drawer along with the WMD lies of times past. https://www.timesofisrael.com/israeli-intel-shows-10-of-unrwa-workers-in-gaza-have-ties-to-terror-groups-report/

I don't do trust me bro, and don't bother watching vids about Colonel Powel on an Israel topic regarding UNWRA

image.png

https://twitter.com/Israel/status/1753006599872921652

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

I don't do trust me bro, and don't bother watching vids about Colonel Powel on an Israel topic regarding UNWRA

image.png

https://twitter.com/Israel/status/1753006599872921652

This is not evidence it is an infographic produced by the Israeli state in pursuance of its aims. BTW thanks for the link the mass of comments under it shows how catastrophically Israel are losing the information war. Trust me bro !

• Confused 1