Amazing requirements to open account as a Tourist at Bangkok Bank HQ (Silom)

1 hour ago, Red Phoenix said:

When having entered Thailand Visa Exempt or on a Tourist Visa, you can apply for a Non Imm O Visa at the local Imm Office of the province where you plan to reside long term in Thailand. However, such application requires evidence of meeting the financial requirements for such Visa, and the ONLY evidence accepted is from having a personal Thai bank-account.  

But the requirements to open such a personal Thai bank-account are very difficult, and these Bangkok Bank rules make it as good as impossible to do that yourself.  So it seems that help of a Visa Agent will be required to open an account at a Bangkok Bank branche.  I hope that this BKB requirements craziness will not be taken over by other Thai banks.    

So we're not actually talking about someone seeking to open a bank account 'as a tourist', but rather as a potential temporary resident. So that at least clarifies the start point.

And the issue there is the difficulty of meeting at the same time both the (now) bank requirements and the Immigration requirements.

[It was not always thus. In 2013 I opened an account at BKB Asoke while renting an apartment nearby and travelling back & forth to Oz every 3 months for a week. But that was all done - and remains now 11 years later - on an OA visa. Not sure if that's where the difference lies. I do recall getting strange looks at Immigration a couple of times when arriving back at Suwanna after a week in Oz. I was in those days completing ignorant of the potential complexities involved - a sweet innocent - and after some eye rolling they always let me back in.]

Edited by mfd101
  • Like 1

44 minutes ago, jaywalker2 said:

I've lived in Japan, France, Thailand, and several states in the US, and I never had any trouble opening a bank account until recently. I could open an account at Citibank from overseas. In Hawaii, I had an account that was happy to let me use a Japanese address. It's only recently that this nonsense has taken hold. If you're rich, I bet you don't have trouble opening a bank account.

Yes, living there, but not as a tourist. You won't be able to open saving accounts in USA or EU without a SSN or similar, which you won't get with a tourist visa.  As far as I remember you always needed some form of non-o visa to open a savings account in Thailand, not sure if/when that changed.

58 minutes ago, Phil Conners said:

Yes, living there, but not as a tourist. You won't be able to open saving accounts in USA or EU without a SSN or similar, which you won't get with a tourist visa.  As far as I remember you always needed some form of non-o visa to open a savings account in Thailand, not sure if/when that changed.

I opened an account at SCB in 2006 -  I  still have it.

At that time, I seem to recall I didn't have any sort of visa, if I did it would have been a TV.

Edited by VBF
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, mfd101 said:

An obvious question (that an elderly non-tourist like me might ask) is: Why would a tourist want to open a bank account in a country he or she was visiting?

Clearly the BKK Bank shares my puzzlement.

My thoughts exackly

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, mfd101 said:

An obvious question (that an elderly non-tourist like me might ask) is: Why would a tourist want to open a bank account in a country he or she was visiting?

Totally agree as a tourist do people go to other countries on holiday and open accounts in each place, no.

So why do it here.

Totally bonkers.

9 hours ago, jaywalker2 said:

Japan, France

I don't believe your nonsense and lie about France (especially) and Japan. Americans cannot easily open accounts outside the U.S. They and their passports are shunned by non-U.S. banks.

• Confused 1
  • Agree 1

36 minutes ago, FruitPudding said:

I remember opening an account at Kasokorn with nothing but my passport 

So do I 25 years ago......

I opened a new one with them last month, despite having 2 accounts with them already for 20-25 years it was like starting again. In contrast took my oldest son in the open an account, he was out in minutes with just his Thai ID card 🙂

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, mfd101 said:

May I be old and bold enough to respond to your question?

Having decided to retire early (13 years ago), I came to Thailand (12 years ago) on a 3-month tourist visa.  Prior to arriving in Thailand I had already investigated the requirements for applying for a Non-Immigrant O-A (retirement) visa in my home country (issued by the local Thai Embassy), and thus I needed to open a bank account in Thailand, into which I deposited about Baht 900,000 (sent from my home country) once I had returned to my home country.  Once I had evidence of that deposit, I was able to apply for the "retirement" visa at the Thai Embassy in my home country.

I hope this answers your question.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, mfd101 said:

That is not so difficult to answer, you have to start somewhere.
Suppose I want to buy a house in Thailand, I will still have to have a bank account there....
I speak from personal experience many years ago.

• Like 1

A year ago I opened a bank account with Bangkok Bank in order to get a retirement visa extension. I had less than 30 days left of a 90 day non-O ( from the Thai Embassy in London), but as well as a one year lease on a property in BK, and my passport, I had a letter from Siam Legal - 5,000 baht well spent. (Admittedly I had shown all my finances to SL and told them about family already living and working here - they knew they could safely recommend me). After that I did a border bounce to Hanoi till the money had seasoned enough to apply for the extension. 

[Thanks are due to everyone, Dr Jack in particular, who posts good advice in these forums.]

Opening an account with KBank once I'd gotten the visa extension was a doddle. 

And yes, try opening a bank account in any European country on a tourist visa - the answer will always be No. Legitimate and sensible tourists use a Wise account. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, jaywalker2 said:

It's only recently that this nonsense has taken hold. If you're rich, I bet you don't have trouble opening a bank account.

As far as I know even 15 years ago opening a bank account in Japan was not possible without resident address and not possible for Japanese without "Kozaki" (getting Kozaki requires having address in Japan). 
I better say there was a major change after 911. 

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, The Theory said:

As far as I know even 15 years ago opening a bank account in Japan was not possible without resident address and not possible for Japanese without "Kozaki" (getting Kozaki requires having address in Japan). 
I better say there was a major change after 911. 

Which has nothing to do with opening an account in Thailand, any more useless information?

• Confused 1

20 minutes ago, roo860 said:

Which has nothing to do with opening an account in Thailand, any more useless information?

You even don't know what the op was about 🤔😆 

That was just a post regarding newer required documents for 1st timers. Nothing about opening bank account in Thailand as you claimed. Different bank different requirements. 

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, Phil Conners said:

... As far as I remember you always needed some form of non-o visa to open a savings account in Thailand, not sure if/when that changed.

~ Yes, there is a total misalignment between the requirements to apply at your local Imm Office for a 90-day Non Imm O Visa (which can only be done when you entered Thailand VisaExempt or on a Tourist Visa), and the now more strict requirements to open a personal Thai bank-account (which is needed to prove to Immigration that you met the financial requirements). 

It's a classic 'Catch-22' > You cannot apply for the 90-day Non Imm O Visa at your local Imm Office without a personal Thai Bank-account, but to open such account you actually need to already have such a Non Imm O Visa...

> The consequence of those contradictory and mutually exclusive requirements from Immigration and some Thai banks (luckily not all of them) is that it becomes as good as IMPOSSIBLE to apply for the 'change of Visa' process, which was set-up to allow tourists to apply for a long-stay Non Imm O Visa at their local Imm Office.

So if you do not already have a personal Thai bank-account (set-up earlier before the current and ever stricter Bank requirements to open an accoutn), the only options left are:

a) Applying for the 90-day Non Imm O Visa in your home-country, as that Visa will then allow you to open a personal Thai bank-account which is needed when applying for the 1-year extensions based on that 90-day Non Imm O Visa

OR

b) Engaging a VisaAgent with connections at a local Bank, that can help you open such a required Thai bank-account that would allow you then to apply for the 90-day Non Imm O Visa (either by yourself or again with help of a VisaAgent). 

= = =

This whole bureaucratic nonsense is a big joke, until you are confronted with it...

• Thumbs Up 1

This is like the chicken and the egg what comes first? You  need  this to get that..and you need that to get this...I had this problem. But a long while ago.  Think an agent got around it... Once you got it it's Okay as long as you keep some money in it..

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Phil Conners said:

No, I opened a bank account with a tourist visa ten or so years ago. When I spoke to immigration, I was told that all the banks knew there was no regulationi against opening an account on a tourist visa. You just find the right branch. It's this increasingly strict "money laundering" rules that make it difficult.

• Like 1