Angry Russian Tourist Forcefully Shaves Part of Pattaya Barber’s Hair

webfact

Just now, BritScot said:

Curious,  what is a scuba dive leader? Having been a Master Scuba Diving Instructor who worked in Thailand, it's a term I've never heard! Open water, Advanced diver, Dive Master, Instructor etc. Genuinely curious!

Early pre-coffee post. I'm a PADI IDC Staff Instructor. We would lead dive tourists. Chill, bro.

• Thumbs Up 1

Just saw the full video clip on ThaiRath32... some Russian guy in his late 40's - early 50's (who looks like he hasn't NOT paid for sex in years) gets angry over a haircut that made him no more handsome or uglier than he already is, takes the shears to his barber, who simply stands there and lets the Russian rage. Sadly, even though the Russian could easily be identified, the Thai barber would probably not press changes anyway. One thing for sure... many more Thais will see this, and reinforce for them that Russian's reputations precede them - angry with little self-control.

• Agree 2

11 hours ago, AdamRich said:

I keep a picture in my phone of the best haircut I ever had. Whatever barber I go to in the world, all I have to do is show the picture without having to try to explain how I want it.

You mean you don't choose from a booklet of hairstyles from the 1990's ??? :whistling:

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

Such bizarre people. Such social misfits. I have friends who know younger Russians. And they say they are kind, friendly and progressive. I have no idea what percentage of the population these younger people represent, nor how representative they are of the Russian population. Personally, I have met very few friendly Russians. Anywhere in the world. The vast majority of Russians I have met, seem to have very, very few redeeming qualities. It is no wonder.

I can only speak from my experience. Have run into alot of Russians both in the US, and on Phuket and Samui, 98% of them seem to be grumpy, unfriendly and gruff. Some of them are downright hostile. Likely a reflection of a very, very rough culture and environment. So, perhaps it is not a coincidence that the world is not standing up to support them and show them kindness? 

I do not think it is a sense of entitlement. I think it is a reflection of the current culture. It was destroyed by over a century of callous and murderous leadership. Stalin, Lenin, Khruschev, now Putin. They have become somewhat savage and crude. No grace, no finesse, no courtesy. Rather uncivilized.

My family was from Russia a few generations back. I used to ask my great-grandmother when she was still around, why they didn't teach us anything about the old country. She would give me this look, and tell me "the reason we never taught you about the place we came from, is because the place we came from was the most horrific country on earth, it was the most destitute, horrible, oppressive place and we were thrilled to finally get out of there and leave it behind. That's why we don't teach you about the old country, the old country doesn't exist for us".

Where are all the Russians getting their money from? Personally can,t stand them either but I have a list of the most disliked countries I have encountered. Russians #1 Another country with the letter G a very close second. And Thai Immigration wants to give these A$$e$ long stay visas?

• Like 2

Typical ruSSian behaviour, brute force. Catch him and to ruSSian army and off to Ukraine he goes> IN one month problem solved permanently and no chance for re-occurrence 

• Thumbs Up 1

12 hours ago, AdamRich said:

I keep a picture in my phone of the best haircut I ever had. Whatever barber I go to in the world, all I have to do is show the picture without having to try to explain how I want it.

great idea, but as time goes by you will have less hair available to be cut and what will you do... ??.. blame or compain to the barber  

Idiot! You can’t expect perfection when you cant speak the language.

Next time show a similarity, a pic.

He should pay  a heavy fine!

imop

Edited by riclag
  • Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

8 hours ago, newbee2022 said:

So you don't know any Russian I'm sure. Pathetic 😕. And you obviously never heard of Tolstoy, Chekhov, Tchaikovsky, Dostoevsky, and many others, as Chagall. All rude? Arrogant, stealing???

Insane post of your's unfortunately. 🙏

The only part of the "post" that is mine is "arrogant" and I stand by that.

P.S. Why do I need to know Russian, and as I don't why is that pathetic?

• Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

19 minutes ago, sambum said:

The only part of the "post" that is mine is "arrogant" and I stand by that.

P.S. Why do I need to know Russian, and as I don't why is that pathetic?

If you never met any Russian....how can you say THEY (plural) are arrogant??

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1
  • Agree 1

14 hours ago, CartagenaWarlock said:

I was watching a Russian female's TikTok video, and she said that most Russian men are always in a rage, and they could kill a person when in a rage. And she concluded that they needed wars to kill people legitimately.

Utter BS

• Thumbs Up 1

16 hours ago, HappyExpat57 said:

When I was working as a scuba dive leader, all us instructors HATED Russian customers. They wouldn't listen and would constantly break the rules.

What's that got to do with a haircut?

Edited by Liverpool Lou
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 1

What a nasty POS.

Hope they catch him. and give him a large fine, paid to the barber

and make him apologize to the guy as well.

Idiots like that, give us all a bad name.

Edited by quake
  • Agree 1

23 hours ago, lockyv7 said:

Maybe the so called barber deserved that and some 

I suspect he was cutting hair and doing his job as he always did. What do you suspect  he did wrong?

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

This type of behavior is becoming more noticeable in the press as many more Russians are allowed to make Thailand there new home including there special privileges,the 90 day visa.Thai government you made your bed you lie in it.

• Thumbs Up 2

14 hours ago, newbee2022 said:

If you never met any Russian....how can you say THEY (plural) are arrogant??

I didn't say that "I never met any Russian" - I said, and I quote:- "P.S. Why do I need to know Russian, and as I don't why is that pathetic?" I don't know any German, Arabic or Chinese either - is that pathetic? I do have a sprinkling of Thai, however - enough to be polite by saying "Please" or "Thank you" - something that any Russians I have come across seem incapable of doing either by words or gestures! (I did say in a previous post that some Russians that I had "held a door open for" had been ungrateful and rude, implying that they were arrogant by their actions (or lack of)

You don't need to "meet" someone to know whether they are arrogant or not - their whole demeanour and attitude to others in everyday situations says it all!

• Sad 1
  • Agree 2

On 2/3/2024 at 10:12 AM, spidermike007 said:

Personally, I have met very few friendly Russians.

We met some once (my parter and I) at the waterpark near Jomtien once, they spoke English well enough for us to converse, so perhaps they were wider traveled ? 

We stayed in Jomtein for a couple months and at the end of the hallway in VT 5 and the guy at the end was an older Russian guy (mid 40s ?)with a young kid, we used to leave the door open when it was hot and she'd come in and interact with my partner, bored for friends I assume ? Dad wandered down the first few times to shew'd her back but we assured him she was was no problems and came down a few times a week after that. He was polite and friendly.

a couple young Russians on their honeymoon having foot massages another time, sitting beside me. Got to chatting, in very broken English, so I shouted them their massage as a wedding present.  Wonder if he's now fighting in Ukraine <sigh>

I remember  a thread years ago saying its mostly the boorish Russian types that travel to Thailand from an older Russian guy, I pointed out same same with us Australian's 🙂

• Like 1

On 2/3/2024 at 5:12 AM, AdamRich said:

Hah!!  Show a picture, you say.

Last month I entered a Rampho Market (Jomtien) barber shop, one lady in attendance. Her English was minimal.  I'm an old man and wanted an old man's hair cut, long on the sides.  I carefully pointed to the many pictures on the wall of young guys with sidewalls.."Mai Oww" I said pointedly.  "OK, OK" said she.

I noticed her pick-up the clippers, probably to trim the neck first, so I thought.

'VROOOOMMM" Like a harvester going through a hayfield, the hair along the side of my head was cut down to stubble. 

I jumped from the chair:  "What you do????"   Received back that inimitable blank Thai stare.

Had I thought about it, I might have done what the mad Russian did.  Instead, I just walked out, knowing any further discussion would be pointless: what is mowed down, is mowed down. You can't glue it back on.

I rode around for a bit, looking like an 80's London punk  I eventually entered another barber shop where English was spoken. Not much they could do except match the mutilation on the other side, revealing to the world a whole new field of age spots.

I don't waste as much time combing my hair these days, no muss from the motorbike helmet any more. It's slowly growing back.

Just because you show a picture, do not have confidence that you will get what you want to get.  The depth of Thais not understanding what we think they understand has no bottom.  "OK,OK" can really mean "Ehhh?"

On 2/3/2024 at 6:32 AM, ChipButty said:

Rumblings in my area from locals are not good, there is a lot of Russians here, Im now starting hear Thai's complaining one of the things they are doing is renting villas and then sub letting or part letting, I know of one case now and the owner is not happy, he let his 2 bedroom pool villa, there is now 12 Russians living there and they are partying every night people turning up all night long, loud music, now the neighbours are complaining, 

He tells me he has called the agent and they are not interested which is normal down here, the owner obviously is not wanting to confront 12 drunk Russians. 

He should cancel the lease. I thought all standard Thai leases had a two month warning to cancel, even if the lease was for a longer period. I know mine does, and I've been in the same house for 14 years.

2 hours ago, BumGun said:

We met some once (my parter and I) at the waterpark near Jomtien once, they spoke English well enough for us to converse, so perhaps they were wider traveled ? 

We stayed in Jomtein for a couple months and at the end of the hallway in VT 5 and the guy at the end was an older Russian guy (mid 40s ?)with a young kid, we used to leave the door open when it was hot and she'd come in and interact with my partner, bored for friends I assume ? Dad wandered down the first few times to shew'd her back but we assured him she was was no problems and came down a few times a week after that. He was polite and friendly.

a couple young Russians on their honeymoon having foot massages another time, sitting beside me. Got to chatting, in very broken English, so I shouted them their massage as a wedding present.  Wonder if he's now fighting in Ukraine <sigh>

I remember  a thread years ago saying its mostly the boorish Russian types that travel to Thailand from an older Russian guy, I pointed out same same with us Australian's 🙂

According to some friends, who have interactions with younger, more progressive Russians, there are some nice ones out there. Hope I get to meet some, at some point. 

• Haha 1