Thai astronomers unearth 13 ancient galaxies, smaller than a speck in the universe

webfact

10 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

That's more of a condemnation of the "teachers" than the students.

The teachers follow the curriculum.. which mainly focuses on Thailand...

• Haha 2

15 hours ago, parallelman said:

As I understand the procedure members of the various teams that work on such projects, get results simultaneously so as to avoid individual claims. So yes, seems like Thai Press spinning things a bit. 

It was written about in Space magazine about 2 weeks ago. I am sure it was a team endeavor.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

On 2/3/2024 at 6:32 AM, spidermike007 said:

Thailand has unraveled the mysteries of the universe. That is quite a statement. Such humility. Such brilliant and unsurpassed minds! Give them a Nobel peace prize. 

It's strange these have only been found after cannabis has been legalised.

• Haha 1

These are serious people with solid credentials. worthy of out praise not our ridicule.

Do you know how hard it is the get time in the Hubble telescope? 

"only about 15% of the thousand or so proposals submitted each year are approved by a review team."

https://lowell.edu/we-got-time-on-the-hubble-space-telescope-now-what/

Edited by sirineou

There are many scientists working on data from JWST all in different "teams' depending on their knowledge and skill. Dr. Nicha along with Michele Trenti and Nicolo Delmasso were investigation high red-shift galaxy clustering and their paper was published last year. Earlier she was in another team, Takahiro Mori<deleted>a and a couple of others, investigating UV luminosity parameters. And still earlier in 2023 Dr. Nicha worked with  Michele Trenti again and a couple of others, investigating, and I quote the paper title 'A massive interacting galaxy 525 million years after the Big Bang' unquote. So the scientists move around a bit. They get acknowledged by their native country, and why not indeed, as for example in the UK various medals (named after yesteryear pioneers) are issued for work and discoveries. So perhaps Dr. Nicha will get some Thai prize. I hope she continues to help expand our knowledge of the universe and perhaps one day Thais who follow in her footsteps may be awarded a medal named after her.

22 hours ago, Ben Zioner said:

Neither did we know the James Webb Space Telescope belonged to Thailand.

My sense is that it is made available to the Astronomy community, at large. So while their use of the scope might be legit, their claim to have discovered the biggest secret in the universe is not. 

In shallow men the fish of little thoughts cause much commotion. In oceanic minds the whales of inspiration make hardly a ruffle.

20 hours ago, sirineou said:

The finding was published at the Astrophysical Journal where I ma sure it was written in a professional manner.  This is the take and translation of the prestigious Thaiger publication :laugh:

Imagine  , Farrant expats, making fun of Thais for an article published in a farang jurnal.  

Great source. It said: The discovery, which has been published in the Astrophysical Journal Letters, is helping astronomers unveil the secrets of early low-mass galaxies.

Safe to presume Thaiger just makes stuff up, and enhances news at will!

20 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

Great source. It said: The discovery, which has been published in the Astrophysical Journal Letters, is helping astronomers unveil the secrets of early low-mass galaxies.

Safe to presume Thaiger just makes stuff up, and enhances news at will!

What is funny is that the article linked  webcast and  Thaiger are different, 

This is what the story look like on the Thaiger website.

https://thethaiger.com/news/world/thai-astronomer-involved-in-bringing-amazing-james-webb-space-telescope-images-to-us

Different picture and none of the nonsensical editorializing. 

Strange.  

On 2/3/2024 at 11:20 AM, proton said:

Its the nationalistic exaggeration which is the problem, pretending it's all a Thai achievement when that appears to be very far from the truth.

I highly doubt that the astronomers phrased it like that. And if indeed they were the first ones to discover them then they deserve credit for it. Having said that, the phrasing could’ve been a lot more humble. 

On 2/3/2024 at 7:39 AM, hotchilli said:

I wonder where they studied, most of the students I know couldn't find Europe.

Old news! Read about this some time ago from a non thai astronomer.