advise needed. visarun. got rejected on airport

2 hours ago, 41632584 said:

Recently, a friend of mine was about to apply for an agent assisted Non-ED extension and last minute immigration refused as they discovered he'd reach 50 in a few months and explained that they could/would not issue such extensions to anyone over 50 and advised he should get a Retirement extension.

Which is stupid, as many study the Thai language at a school in order to qualify for the ED visa. With a retirement extension, no need to spend money on Thai language courses, meaning loss of income for schools, and tax for Thailand... LOL

Edited by StayinThailand2much
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

The OP is currently in Da Nang. 

Well he can fly through Ho Chi Minh. 

Or take a bus to Savannakhet, Laos and proceed from there to Mukdahan.

Easy peasy. Perhaps the second option would be even easier than the first.

I believe there's a Danang-Siem Reap turboprop flight as well but might be easier to take the bus to Laos as the schedule for the direct flight may be erratic. Roads are relatively OK as well along that route and doesn't take very long.

• Haha 2

I´m seeing a pattern here. The IO probably wants OP to come in with Non O because of his age. The same thing happened in another thread just recently. Even though its not a rule, I think they are using this as common practice now and turning away people who are eligible for retirement visas.

I am just speculating, but this is what it looks like.

A school that is aware of what  Immigration might be thinking would discourage people over a certain age from applying for an Education Visa.  A few year ago I knew a person in CNX who was almost 60 and tried to obtain an Education Visa but the school advised him a Non O Retirement Visa would be a better.  The school even directed him to a local agency to obtain the Non O.  This person has been extending the same Retirement Visa for the last 5 yeas with the same agency.  In this case the school did him a huge favor.  

9 hours ago, StayinThailand2much said:

Which is stupid, as many study the Thai language at a school in order to qualify for the ED visa. With a retirement extension, no need to spend money on Thai language courses, meaning loss of income for schools, and tax for Thailand... LOL

The counter to this argument would be those on Non O or OA spend money while in LOS as well.  I would venture to guess some on O or an OA would spend more money  while residing in LOS.  I am an OA and Pacific Cross in Bangkok(A Thai Insurance company is very happy when I pay my annual premium without filing a claim). 

On 2/5/2024 at 9:00 AM, JimTripper said:

I used to do tourism for a year. Many Thai's don't understand that people can have money saved up and don't need to work at a fruit stand somewhere. They are also in a rush and want people scuttering about on that good old minivan going from place as quickly as possible. They think it's still the old school two week vacation thing from the 1980's, or they just like people scuttering about and not setting down roots because they are impatient children themselves. "Are we there yet?"

People from well off countries have money and time for tourism. They don't need to rush about. They like to relax a bit and enjoy the scenery.

If you have money, you can buy an elite visa.

14 hours ago, StayinThailand2much said:

When you retire in a country, it would be wise to learn the language. I went to school without the need of an ED visa.

• Thumbs Up 1

38 minutes ago, FritsSikkink said:

If you have money, you can buy an elite visa.

As he's over 50 he can get a non-imm O while he's in Vietnam, problem solved but he doesn't want to (or even get tourist visa for that matter). It's a visa exempt return or nothing for him 😀

• Like 2

OP when attempting to enter Thailand again and IO brings up the denial. Say you need to get back in and pay your landlord, get dental treatment and get out.

You: get your stuff, say goodbye to gf and GTFO

• Thumbs Up 1

10 minutes ago, Sluglord said:

OP when attempting to enter Thailand again and IO brings up the denial. Say you need to get back in and pay your landlord, get dental treatment and get out.

You: get your stuff, say goodbye to gf and GTFO

If the Op is just going back for material things I would call it a loss. Ask the Gf to mail important documents and start fresh from home country. Much ado about nothing. Thai's don't like long goodbye's anyway.

Edited by JimTripper
  • Agree 1

is Savannakhet / mukhdahan an "easy" point of entry? 

flying in to Vientiane from here would be over bangkok anyway.. 

so it's chiang mai or Savannakhet now..

IMG_20240206_102705.jpg

4 minutes ago, JimTripper said:

If the Op is just going back for things I would call it a loss. Ask the Gf to mail important documents and start fresh from home country. Much ado about nothing.

wanted to stay not more than a month anyway.. april was f..ing hot last year 🥵

but.. it's my full bag,laptop,💳💳!! and (pin)-sim's and cash i need to get.. 

i could not even get in my home back.. 🔑

6 minutes ago, JimTripper said:

If the Op is just going back for material things I would call it a loss. Ask the Gf to mail important documents and start fresh from home country. Much ado about nothing. Thai's don't like long goodbye's anyway.

Agree 100% 

Has been suggested few times already. Falling on deaf ears.

He could spend time in Vietnam.

Fly Da Nang to Saigon and chill.

Has a 45 day permit for Vietnam.

Bank stuff such as cards etc can easily be replaced especially when back in Europe. 

Next trip he can obtain a non O retirement. Happy days. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

14 minutes ago, popel said:

is Savannakhet / mukhdahan an "easy" point of entry? 

It should be no problem to enter Thailand via Savannakhet.

Bus from Da Nang to Savannakhet is overnight ~ 11 and half hours

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DrJack54 said:

It should be no problem to enter Thailand via Savannakhet.

Bus from Da Nang to Savannakhet is overnight ~ 11 and half hours

just looked it up..

they quoted me ~60 bucks

vs 90 bucks via air to Vientiane. 🙄

air would be over don muang.. don't know about problems there..

going back europe i can do after a (maybe) second block.

that would be easier from chiang mai.

in the end it's up to the officer at any point of entry.. 🤞

14 minutes ago, popel said:

just looked it up..

they quoted me ~60 bucks

You'd be in transfer on a stopover, so no problem as long as you don't need to check in again at Don Muang. 

I'd happily pay the 30 bucks more to avoid a 12-hour bus ride, unless, of course, you want to see the countryside from the bus window.

Edited by StayinThailand2much
  • Thumbs Up 1

16 minutes ago, popel said:

just looked it up..

they quoted me ~60 bucks

Your GF can get into Laos without a passport and bring all your luggage. Go back to work and sort out a retirement visa next time.

Edited by FritsSikkink
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, FritsSikkink said:

Your GF can get into Laos without a passport and bring all your luggage. Go back to work and sort out a retirement visa next time.

will do it ✌ NEXT TIME

with a new passport to of course.. 

didn't know a border pass for thais still work. home she is near laos.. but now she wait in Pattaya.. 😕

36 minutes ago, popel said:

will do it ✌ NEXT TIME

with a new passport to of course.. 

didn't know a border pass for thais still work. home she is near laos.. but now she wait in Pattaya.. 😕

Definitely go with land entry from Laos, thats pretty much guaranteed. The people saying chiang mai are not up to date with the current situation. Sure they were better 5-10 years ago but that has passed I know from first hand experience 2022 and 2023. Any airport is questionable nowadays, everyone is on the same page.

Edited by at15
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, at15 said:

Definitely go with land entry from Laos, thats pretty much guaranteed. The people saying chiang mai are not up to date with the current situation. Sure they were better 5-10 years ago but that has passed I know from first hand experience 2022 and 2023.

Wasn't CM closed for International arrivals in 2022/2023 ?

1 minute ago, Nick Carter icp said:

Wasn't CM closed for International arrivals in 2022/2023 ?

no the covid extensions ended sometime in mid 2022 then people starting flying in and out internationally via cnx. 2023 was totally normal.

1 hour ago, popel said:

just looked it up..

they quoted me ~60 bucks

Do you have an empty property to go back to in Europe? Where are you going to live or find a job with a large employment black hole.

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, popel said:

Check if you can transit airside, without having to pass through immigration.

I've done that at Don Mueang before, flying AirAsia, but I'm not sure what the situation is now. Best to check with your airline.

• Thanks 1

On 2/4/2024 at 6:27 PM, StayinThailand2much said:

Then there should be a possibility to appeal against incompetent or unfair decisions, and I mean within hours rather than weeks(?) to the minister.

There is a method but i don't know the timescales.  You need a TM11 form which the OP could have lodged on his initial refusal to enter.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, JimTripper said:

Do you have an empty property to go back to in Europe? Where are you going to live or find a job with a large employment black hole.

don't know why all that stuff about employment.. I'm over 10 years self employed and could work when ever i want. have a place to live to but keys are in my bag! and i just was staying in LOS for 4 month. what black hole? 🥴

• Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, Caldera said:

Check if you can transit airside, without having to pass through immigration.

I've done that at Don Mueang before, flying AirAsia, but I'm not sure what the situation is now. Best to check with your airline.

when i book on skyscanner example..

they say : self transfer + check in again

on airasia they say : transfer and connection included sure.. 🤷🏼‍♂️