Common scam involving Co teachers

There should be two classes per week that have a co teacher.  So that means you don't have to do one of the classes.

So the scam is they make you do it and take a year off.

40 classes extra a year.  They do the scam twice (m5, m6) total 80 extra classes a year for you.  This is a breech of contract.

And then we have points.  So actually it is shared between the two co teachers but they make you do all the scores for another fully paid Thai teacher.

So make sure you get the Thai documents not the English ones.  The Thai one will include the name of you and a co teacher.

• Like 1
  • Confused 5

3 hours ago, Chris Daley said:

There should be two classes per week that have a co teacher.  So that means you don't have to do one of the classes.

40 classes extra a year.  They do the scam twice (m5, m6) total 80 extra classes a year for you.  This is a breech of contract.

And then we have points.  So actually it is shared between the two co teachers but they make you do all the scores for another fully paid Thai teacher.

So make sure you get the Thai documents not the English ones.  The Thai one will include the name of you and a co teacher.

In 21 years of teaching, I've never had a co teacher and have never "shared" points.

You have a habit of suggesting things that happen to you, or things you make up, are widespread.

If you really hate teaching so much and believe the system is so against you, why do it? Valid reason to stay in Thailand long term and legally?

Edited by youreavinalaff
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1
  • Agree 1

On 2/4/2024 at 3:34 PM, Lacessit said:

Particularly punctuation.

He doesn't have to be good at punctuation, spelling or grammar, if his school is the same as the 5 I've taught at.

The Thai teachers, at all levels, were responsible for all three, the foreign teachers were contracted to teach a subject called "English Conversation" only, in other words speaking in English which does not need to be correct in any of the three.

• Haha 1

30 minutes ago, foreverlomsak said:

He doesn't have to be good at punctuation, spelling or grammar, if his school is the same as the 5 I've taught at.

The Thai teachers, at all levels, were responsible for all three, the foreign teachers were contracted to teach a subject called "English Conversation" only, in other words speaking in English which does not need to be correct in any of the three.

I'd agree punctuation and spelling are not necessary in spoken English, I am not so sure playing fast and loose with grammar is good teaching.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

On 2/7/2024 at 12:37 PM, Lacessit said:

I'd agree punctuation and spelling are not necessary in spoken English, I am not so sure playing fast and loose with grammar is good teaching.

Good teaching or not, if it succeeds does it matter.

Think about what you say, do you always use fully grammatically correctly sentences, the object as far as I was concerned was to get them comfortable with speaking English so long as it was understandable, e.g. correct is "Where is the train station", understandable is "Station train is where", which is a translation of the Thai question.

• Haha 1

On 2/3/2024 at 11:23 PM, Chris Daley said:

This post reads as if the audience is supposed to know absolutely anything about your context. We don't. 

It describes a very particular (to you) situation at work that clearly requires your active management and negotiation with colleagues. It reads as if you're completely without agency, or at least have not yet employed any and tried to work things out. 

It's just "this is the way it is" and even assumes it's "common" (really I don't think it is, but again I have no basis for actually knowing what's going on in your specific, tiny little corner of this world). 

Haven't read the whole thread yet. Probably should have before responding to the first post, but oh well. 

I guess it's like a "warning" to others? Doesn't seem all that effective if so, but here's hoping. 

Edited by NobleELT
  • Thanks 1

Okay I've read all the posts now (won't reach to call it a "thread" really, as it's not held together by any focused discussion). And it was just as I expected: the OP doesn't engage at all after writing an important seeming but really vague opening thing, then a handful of people expound on some generally associated charterization of life as a teacher and Thai education while expressing profound doubts about each other's intelligence and fitness for teaching based on how they typed out this or that. 

So how about the OP? I'm curious what happened. Presumably something's got to give. As I said in the previous post, one hopes you don't see yourself as a total and complete pawn at work? What have you done to understand better what is happening and how to avoid being disrespected and taken advantage of? 

In my experience, some foreigners tend to alienate Thai colleagues (Thai people overall, really) in their own minds so much so that they can't hardly conceive of really engaging them as equals. Are you doing that? Possibly? And if you have, you can also find yourself ascribing to them all kinds of nefarious intentions that aren't actually there. Maybe they're not nefarious, just kinda cheeky/lazy and know that you'll bend so easily in the wind that they can shovel off work on ya. 

Would they do the same with, say, me? Never. Ever ever. LOL. 

So be honest...is this here "common" problem...just...you? 

If so, that's excellent news because you're right there with you and can fix it. 🙂

Edited by NobleELT

On 2/7/2024 at 12:04 PM, foreverlomsak said:

the foreign teachers were contracted to teach a subject called "English Conversation" only, in other words speaking in English which does not need to be correct in any of the three.

What do you expect for a salary of $1000 per month? At least they can speak

On 2/11/2024 at 5:18 PM, NobleELT said:

And for the record, the seeming obsession with judging people here based on how their internet forum posts read (esp. bringing up things like punctuation, etc.) says more about the commenters than the post authors getting shat on. I don't need to explain all the reasons why. 

Judging people without the "need to explain all the reasons why" is worse.

Please, explain away.

• Thanks 2

3 hours ago, NobleELT said:

Since you requested: 

1. It's a waste of time especially in the context of a discussion forum full of anonymous posters
2. It's a waste of time if we consider the value of any thread is to gain knowledge from others

3. It makes us a worse person (karmically) as it's 'wrong speech' 
4. It's not typically entertaining or educational in any way

5. If one is an experienced member of the teaching field, it belies a lack of understanding of one's role to help those potentially less knowledgable/intelligent than oneself

6. It belies a lack of awareness of langauge use in various contexts (ie. even if the topic is professional, the platform isn't thought to be by most; hence they aren't paying so much attention to the quality of their writing). 
7. It's a terrible waste of energy, and takes the place of actual inquiry into others' experiences/ideas
8. It likely makes us "feel better" about ourselves temporarily but ultimately it's bad for our health (see #3)

I tried to drag this into a "Top 10" but failed, lol. I'll just add that there is a crucial difference between judging ideas and actions and judging (imagined) people. There's a way of writing that clealry avoides doing the latter, and I'm not seeing it here. It's that personally judgemental way of writing and engaging in discourse here that I'm judging. Not any of the anonymous people generating that content. 

Nothing more than opinions.

Opinions that are, it seems, not shared by anyone else.

Speaks volumes.

• Thanks 1

On 2/8/2024 at 12:55 PM, foreverlomsak said:

the object as far as I was concerned was to get them comfortable with speaking English so long as it was understandable, e.g. correct is "Where is the train station", understandable is "Station train is where", which is a translation of the Thai question.

That might be acceptable for you with private lessons. A school should have much higher standards.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/4/2024 at 2:56 PM, youreavinalaff said:

In 21 years of teaching, I've never had a co teacher and have never "shared" points.

Many schools use co teachers. You always post as if your opinion is gospel and it's not.

I've no idea what the op thought about I hope he was blind drunk.

I won't co teach. The biggest scam is the co-teacher not doing the work because 85-90% of teachers in this country are worthless.

The sooner Thailand rounds up ai and educational technology combines the two the better off the nation will be. They can fire all these worthless teachers.

On 2/11/2024 at 9:55 PM, JoseThailand said:

What do you expect for a salary of $1000 per month? At least they can speak

If someone agrees to do a job at a price they should do it. If they want more money then they can market themselves to other schools. Sound reasonable?

What if you paid me to cut your lawn. I decided after the fact that it was too much work for what we agreed for me to be paid. Therefore, I decided I was only going to cut half the lawn.

Obviously I have a cut lawn is as good as not being cut at all. And the same goes for s****y teaching

Quiet quitting is the weakest, most passive aggressive thing that people can do in the workplace. Don't like it? Quit! Oh that's right you can't get another job somewhere else...

The idea of traveling halfway around The world only to quiet quit your job I find astonishing. The fact of the matter is this is the individual's work ethic no matter where they are in the world and no matter what they're paid.

The idea that you would stand in front of a group of individuals unprepared and with some sort of boring nonsense that teaches them nothing is the biggest crime being committed in Thailand and this is being done by tens of thousands of foreign teachers

Finally, most teachers are paid more than a thousand US dollars a month. I don't think there's anyone at my school making less than 50k thb.

Edited by Sluglord

On 2/4/2024 at 11:23 AM, Chris Daley said:

All that matters is that you are paid for the contact hours you teach. If you are not, it's time to leave.

If you are teaching with another foreign or how is that foreigner forcing you to work additional hours?

*Breach

On 2/11/2024 at 9:36 PM, NobleELT said:

expressing profound doubts about each other's intelligence and fitness for teaching

I express my doubts by having worked with nearly 100 unqualified and thoroughly unmotivated teachers over 10+ years.

90% should be back in their home countries working in retail.

Edited by Sluglord

4 hours ago, Sluglord said:

Many schools use co teachers. You always post as if your opinion is gospel and it's not.

I've no idea what the op thought about I hope he was blind drunk.

I won't co teach. The biggest scam is the co-teacher not doing the work because 85-90% of teachers in this country are worthless.

The sooner Thailand rounds up ai and educational technology combines the two the better off the nation will be. They can fire all these worthless teachers.

You have that the wrong way round.

The OP posts as if his experiences always occur.

My post was to show they don't.

Had you not cropped my post to suit your agenda, you would have noticed as such. 

As it is, your reply is inane.

Edited by youreavinalaff
  • Agree 1