Scottish woman’s cliff plunge in Thailand sparks insurance debacle

webfact

I have full Motorcycle License in UK, yet my HSBC worldwide  insurance (free with packaged account) still limits me to 125cc.  I looked into other travel insurance policies too, and most of these also only cover to 125cc

On 2/5/2024 at 3:46 PM, Liverpool Lou said:

Nothing in the headline stated, or even suggested that...

"Scottish woman’s cliff plunge in Thailand sparks insurance debacle"

I stand corrected. The following leading statement is what I should have stated, “they refused to pay out after she plunged almost 20 metres to her death”.

• Agree 1

On 2/5/2024 at 2:17 PM, The Fugitive said:

Members of my Thai family have received bills from our local community hospital after receiving treatment for injuries caused when they came off their moto's. They had neither riding licences nor insurance. Fortunately, no other road users were injured. I understand this is normal as National Heath Service's elsewhere will not provide 'free' treatment for road traffic injuries. This being what motor insurance is for.

The way it works is the hospital claim off the gov. insurence you have from taxing the motorbike for the first 20000 Bht of bills, social security or the 30 baht scheme pays for anything after that. If you have no tax you're liable for the first 20k of the hospital bill...

3 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

All insurers provide the specific details of cover in the individual's policy documents, not their website!

Nonsens!!! Some inform you on their website which rules for car/motorbike they have or that it's excluded. And also in the documents. 😉

• Sad 1

Some petty bickering posts and replies contravening our Community Standards have been removed.

17. The ASEAN NOW news team gathers and disseminates news bulletins from Thai and international sources, and republishes them in the news forums for our members' information and enjoyment. Our news team works hard to bring quality content to the news forums and should be respected for their efforts. Comments regarding ASEAN NOW being the source of news articles or other comments such as "slow news day" or "clickbait headline" are disrespectful and unwelcome. Such comments will be sanctioned. Original articles, especially in the Thai or foreign language press can sometimes have grammatical mistakes or misspellings. ASEAN NOW is not responsible for these nor does ASEAN NOW have the right to alter content it is reprinting from another source. Similarly, ASEAN NOW is not responsible for any opinions reflected or quoted in reprinted news stories.

1 hour ago, snowgard said:
5 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

All insurers provide the specific details of cover in the individual's policy documents, not their website!

Nonsens!!! Some inform you on their website which rules for car/motorbike they have or that it's excluded. And also in the documents. 

I said specific details of the individual's policy, those specific details of cover and exclusions are in the policy documents, not the website.

On 2/4/2024 at 9:09 PM, JackGats said:

What's the deal with scooters/motorbikes accidents? I don't mean the semantics. I mean would insurances routinely reject claims if an accident is a motorbike accident? How can you be covered then?

Quite simply, your insurance will state up to what is covered.  Furthermore if you are not licensed in your home country (on vacation in Thailand) you are breaking the law and NOT COVERED by insurance.  

Make no mistake, not understanding your insurance limitations will leave you out in the rain like a dog.  Do not go outside the bounds for any reason ever.  

These types of articles are great for learning, and its nice to see one where some half-wit didn't have any medical insurance at all and went to the hospital with a broken beer bottle crashed over his head with a 100k medical bill.  

• Thanks 1

And by the way, I hope everyone noticed how quickly they denied her claim?  It takes them roughly six seconds to scan a police report and see what was involved and understand that she was riding something she wasn't covered for.

This case is very rare for me, I don't have the time of day for nitwits as most don't here either, but she probably was being careless about her vacation and this cost her huge.  

I hope she recovers and things go well for her.