Nearly 40 Thai, Foreign Tourists Injured As Pattaya-Bound Bus Hit Trailer-Truck

webfact

36 minutes ago, JoseThailand said:

The buses used by the company involved all have a Mercedes label on them

Yes a "label".

I don't know what this particular bus was...I can't see from the photos. However many buses on Thailand have bodywork build locally on old or secondhand  chassis. So the engine and chassis may be Mercedes or any other make but the rest of the vehicle is locally built. To what standards is unclear.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

They are resurfacing the Highway 7 right now. 

Loads of resurfacing roadworks all the way from Bangkok to Pattaya in both directions.

Are they specifically resurfacing the area damaged by the oil desk or is this general maintenance?

8 hours ago, Rampant Rabbit said:

I on the other  hand have seen a  badly mangled vehicle on almost every single  drive dow to Hua  Hin from Bangkok and Im  up and  down monthly, car upside  down lorries  upside  down, cars in ditches etc etc.......very rare to see that in the UK, compound it with almost total lack of seatbelt wearing and theres the answer. Having said that.....I wouldnt change a thing as I hate the UK's  ridiculous over nannified road safty/fundraising speed  camera infested  laws.

You need to understand the stats. And how to analyse and interpret them.

One needs to understand how they are gathered and how they can be used to draw some conclusions but not the amateur rubbish you read here .

Depending on which stats you look at it becomes clear that it isn't the number of collisions it is the number of injuries and fatalitiesnper collision where Thailand falls foul.

A lot of the anecdotal comments are just confirmation bias from people who simply don't drive enough here or at home to make any realistic comparison.

Remember the plural of anecdote is not data

Edited by kwilco

1 hour ago, JoseThailand said:

The buses used by the company involved all have a Mercedes label on them

They stick loads of different badges on them, they are certainly not built by Mercedes-Benz, Volvo, or any of the other big manufacturers. 

Edited by Mr Meeseeks

22 minutes ago, kwilco said:

Yes a "label".

I don't know what this particular bus was...I can't see from the photos. However many buses on Thailand have bodywork build locally on old or secondhand  chassis. So the engine and chassis may be Mercedes or any other make but the rest of the vehicle is locally built. To what standards is unclear.

Anyway this accident was not caused by a technical fault. These buses seem to be pretty reliable, however working seatbelts would be nice.

Edited by JoseThailand

20 minutes ago, kwilco said:

You need to understand the stats. And how to analyse and interpret them.

One needs to understand how they are gathered and how they can be used to draw some conclusions but not the amateur rubbish you read here .

Depending on which stats you look at it becomes clear that it isn't the number of collisions it is the number of injuries and fatalitiesnper collision where Thailand falls foul.

A lot of the anecdotal comments are just confirmation bias from people who simply don't drive enough here or at home to make any realistic comparison.

Remember the plural of anecdote is not data

I know from driving in the UK that I rarerly  came  across any severe accidents  like I see here pickupsd  sliced in half, brains  all down the road motorocyclke riders cut in half as a lorry goes over them etc, UK daily  roadkill 3 I think, Thailand pick a number 65-100 daily

11 minutes ago, JoseThailand said:

Anyway this accident was not caused by a technical fault. These buses seem to be pretty reliable, however working seatbelts would be nice.

You need to look at my post on analysing RTIs.

Your comment shows you aren't looking at it holistically.

We don't know what caused the accident. However, how serious it was depends on a lot of "techunical" factors....the state of the vehicles, the condition of the road and the safety features included in the design of the road from surface tho roadside objects to lighting etc etc.

One of the problems in Thailand is not the collusion but what happens in the seconds minutes and hours after the collision

Edited by kwilco

4 minutes ago, Rampant Rabbit said:

I know from driving in the UK that I rarerly  came  across any severe accidents  like I see here pickupsd  sliced in half, brains  all down the road motorocyclke riders cut in half as a lorry goes over them etc, UK daily  roadkill 3 I think, Thailand pick a number 65-100 daily

As I said the plural of anecdote is not data and you fail to understand even the basics of stats or how to draw a sensible  conclusion from them

• Thumbs Up 1

49 minutes ago, Rampant Rabbit said:

As I said the plural of anecdote is not data and you fail to understand even the basics of stats or how to draw a sensible  conclusion from them.

The media is hopeless on reporting matters of road safety in THailand they only use one of the mant stats available i.r. deaths per 100k of population.

In fact with what you are talking about COLLISIONS per miles/km travelled (billions) is by far a clearer way of looking at it.

I have driven further than you in both UK, Europe and Thailand and  one thing I observe is that it is much more difficult to observe any accident in UK brcausehthe first res[ponders are so much quicker than in Thailand and the usual practice is to block off the road and take measures against "gawpers".

I should make it clear also that it isn't the number of collisions it is the perception and interpretation that is so inaccurate on this thread.

Edited by kwilco

On 2/6/2024 at 7:32 AM, stix40 said:

Always in a hurry

Cannot wait 

Always some one  up your arse 

Overtaking on the left

Overtaking on the hill

Overtaking on the bend 

Looking at Facebook

Looking at a movie 

Cannot see out of the windscreen because it's 90 % tinted

Cannot see out of the windscreen because of budah structures or luang  por figures

Cannot stop because because there is 6 ton in a 1 ton pickup 

Cannot stop because the breaks don't work

Cannot steer properly because the front wheels are not touching the ground due to weight distribution

Please feel free to add to the list 😜

Cannot see out of the rear window because of distorting plastic sticker

No idea about traffic rules

Can move a car, but cannot actually drive a car in traffic

Doing makeup and checking hair in rear view morror

21 hours ago, kwilco said:

The more you post the more you reveal you lack of understanding of the issues.

You fixate upon things about which you know nothing. You are making uneducated guesses and drawing inferences that are just risible

Can you please stop your Drivel and stick to what I said  It's about what the bus driver said and Nothing else :

If  it's True what the bus driver said . 

End of Replies

1 hour ago, digger70 said:

Can you please stop your Drivel and stick to what I said  It's about what the bus driver said and Nothing else :

If  it's True what the bus driver said . 

End of Replies

The problem is you don't know how to look at an accident...you have no argument just irrelevant comments and repeating them doesn't make them any less irrelevant.

Whatever the driver said both your premise and conclusion are just childish, incorrect and irrelevant as I pointed out in my first reply which you don't seem to have either read or understood .

You made a silly comment, get over it, learn from your mistake and move on

Edited by kwilco
  • Haha 1

On 2/6/2024 at 3:09 AM, flyingtlger said:

With so many accidents occurring every day in Thailand, unfortunately its become all too common.

I'm getting desensitized to it all...... 

That's the unfortunate fact.   The whole country is desensitised & therefore pay little attention to the daily toll of deaths, injuries & unnecessary costs, so it'll just carry-on & on!!   Very sad!!!!!!!

On 2/8/2024 at 6:52 AM, Rampant Rabbit said:

I on the other  hand have seen a  badly mangled vehicle on almost every single  drive dow to Hua  Hin from Bangkok and Im  up and  down monthly, car upside  down lorries  upside  down, cars in ditches etc etc.......very rare to see that in the UK, compound it with almost total lack of seatbelt wearing and theres the answer. Having said that.....I wouldnt change a thing as I hate the UK's  ridiculous over nannified road safty/fundraising speed  camera infested  laws.

Sounds like an exaggeration to me. On the 280km return trip to Bangkok yesterday, and in Bangkok, I did not witness a single accident over 2 days. That's a lot more traffic than on your horror trips to Hua Hin... however, most of the reported accidents would be motorcycles, and riding among countless thousands of them every day, I don't witness accidents as often as you would expect... over nearly 20 years.

19 hours ago, JensenZ said:

Sounds like an exaggeration to me. On the 280km return trip to Bangkok yesterday, and in Bangkok, I did not witness a single accident over 2 days. That's a lot more traffic than on your horror trips to Hua Hin... however, most of the reported accidents would be motorcycles, and riding among countless thousands of them every day, I don't witness accidents as often as you would expect... over nearly 20 years.

ive  always  had a good🤪  eye.

My trip is  about 250k each way I  live  past HH. I  guess  I must have imagined the whole thing, you  know come to think of it  youre  right, Ive never  seen better more  caring,  safer, unselfish drivers anywhere in the world. Ever drive at night....

Edited by Rampant Rabbit

On 2/8/2024 at 4:00 PM, kwilco said:

I have driven further than you in both UK, Europe and Thailand

Thats one hell of an assumption for 4  years I was doing 30k a  year in Thailand in the UK way more, had to buy a  new  car every year . Im 108 years  old,  first responders here are fast...........speed  = $$$$

Edited by Rampant Rabbit

On 2/6/2024 at 12:42 PM, kwilco said:

Thailand has a similar number of collisions per day to the United Kingdom.

126k  UK  https://www.comparethemarket.com/car-insurance/content/road-traffic-accidents/

Thailand 939k https://www.nationthailand.com/thailand/general/40023780

yea looks  pretty  similar to me give or  take  800k must be the  Thai  calculator....pls  respond  with at least 5000 words or more or get the guy who tells us hes been here 20 years or more to chip in, I promise I wont be  reading it😉

55 minutes ago, Rampant Rabbit said:

126k  UK  https://www.comparethemarket.com/car-insurance/content/road-traffic-accidents/

Thailand 939k https://www.nationthailand.com/thailand/general/40023780

yea looks  pretty  similar to me give or  take  800k must be the  Thai  calculator....pls  respond  with at least 5000 words or more or get the guy who tells us hes been here 20 years or more to chip in, I promise I wont be  reading it😉

Yes – I’ve seen these  new figures  - but if you look up other sites you will see they say UK and Thailand are broadly the same. I must say I'm inclined to look at these figures with interest but you must bear in mind they are a one quote wonder and even if accurate don't support your hypotheses. - As you admit you don't read up on road safety - you seem just cherry pick your favourite one quote wonder. However  it does highlight the poor gathering of stats in Thailand and the public's naive following of whatever nugget the media decides to throw up that suits them. You need to understand how confirmation bias and cognitive dissonance work.

Even if th figures are accurate it doesn’t contradict my hypothesis.

The figures you quote give a daily crash rate as 6 to 7 times higher than the UK, but a death rate 12 times higher which is still a massive discrepancy. As yet the criteria for these collisions in Thailand is not set - in fact according to the wording it may be no more than an estimate - in the UK the opposite is true as they have decades of accurate comparisons to make.

THE next problem is how they are categorised - i.e. - death, serious injury minor injury or insurance claim.

If for instance you look at the official figures for successive Songkhrans, you'll see the daily collision rate is around 350 in both countries.

You use for the UK a secondary source when you could have used the National government source updated in 2023.

For you Thai source you are using  "As many as 939,713 road accidents were reported in Thailand last year, up 4.7% from 2021, the Thailand Road Accidents Data Centre for Road Safety Culture (ThaiRSC)" THis is from here - but at present it's in Thai only

https://www.thairsc.com/eng/

This is a new single source from the relatively new institution which I can't cay is wrong but it needs to be reviewed - the UK source has been running for about 70 years.

I certainly have a problem with the phrase "As many as "

What people fail to understand is the basic difference between the UK and EU countries and Thailand is not the collisions themselves. it is the lack of protection offered by road safety systems in Thailand

The problems are education, enforcement, engineering (road and vehicle) and importantly emergency and finally evaluation.

Hence the huge discrepancy in statistics and people's ability to interpret what they say.

Anyway it would appear your opinion is pretty worthless as you admit when it comes to being serious about road safety " I promise I won't be  reading it?"[-RR]

Edited by kwilco

10 hours ago, Robin said:

What can you expect in a country where you can pass your "driving test" without driving on a public road, or knowing how to change gear?

Take a look t the past tests in various States in the USA, Belgium and several other countries in Europe and around the world - a driving test is a single one day event - in no way does it guarantee good driving for life. Many people one this site took really simple driving tests yet they feel their experience makes tham 'experts" in theoir eyes - in fact what they call "experience" is just the accumulation of bad habits.

Even in UK you can have a licence for those who "can't change gear" - and that goes for the majority in the USA...

Edited by kwilco

6 hours ago, Rampant Rabbit said:

the guy who tells us hes been here 20 years or more to chip in, I promise I wont be  reading it😉

BTW - apart from ad hom, what point are you trying to make?

• 4 weeks later...
On 2/5/2024 at 1:52 PM, smedly said:

yet another accident involving a passenger bus

I am only one wearing the seat belt. That means all the flying meatbags are slamming into me. Seatbelts not being mandatory is ridiculous in this day and age. Naked and barefoot 4 on a scooter good luck. But buses?