Nearly 40 Thai, Foreign Tourists Injured As Pattaya-Bound Bus Hit Trailer-Truck

webfact

9 hours ago, flyingtlger said:

With so many accidents occurring every day in Thailand, unfortunately its become all too common.

I'm getting desensitized to it all...... 

Thailand has a similar number of collisions per day to the United Kingdom.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, Nordic summer said:

Not to mention the Pattaya frequent fliers club:sad:

We can not take in all that is bad in the world(that would be unbearable), so we desensitize ourselves to some degree.

However, we should take care not to end up with hearts cold as stone. The trick is finding a middle way.

You are already desensitised...your kanguage shows this.... however the worst part is your lack of real perspective 

• Thumbs Up 1

22 minutes ago, digger70 said:

he was driving in the second lane from left when the bus suddenly rammed into the rear at full force leading to him losing control and the big vehicle flipping over. 

If that's true than the bus driver must go to jail for being an idiot driver.

I you can't see a Semi truck driving  in front of you than you shouldn't be on the road and definitely not driving a bus with people.

Don't be ridiculous. The only obvious reason is he had a lapse in concentration or he dozed off. He's human - and humans make mistakes. He has probably safely transported passengers on this route multiple times per day for years. Accidents happen - the first one I've ever heard of on this route.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, 1happykamper said:

.. and one of the first emoji used is laughter. You think this is funny? 

Safety is getting worse in Thailand! 

Likely ironic laughter/gallows humour at the never ending joke that is Thai road safety.

Just another useless statistic: I remember some 3-4 yrs ago , a bus from up north coming to BKK school children and same thing , 16 killed including a teacher or two, twin girls 16yrs only children in a family gone....driver on yaba and no bus driving permit no driving training...road condiiton was blamed ... what happened to him ... ZERO.... simply unbelievable  

• Confused 1

10 hours ago, smedly said:

yet another accident involving a passenger bus

but the first one I've seen in a while involving the Pattaya-Bangkok bus. one expects better from the drivers employed by that company.

5 hours ago, Frankie baby said:

Not to bothered about what happened, these things happen all over on a daily basis, as long as the driver doesn't say his brakes failed? 

I'm a little bit concerned because it involved one of the Bangkok-Paataya buses. I've done that trip quite a few times and the drivers have always been very competent, at least they seemed that way. no recklessness like the peanut gallery assume of all Thai bus drivers.

I guess I'll be wearing my seatbelt later this month when I head to Patts 😂

Edited by Lemsta69
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Lemsta69 said:

I'm a little bit concerned because it involved the Pattaya-Bangkok bus. I've done that trip quite a few times and the drivers have always been very competent, at least they seemed that way. no recklessness like the peanut gallery assume of all Thai bus drivers.

Yes, for sure you better buckle up next time (or try). These buses make 22,235 trips a year and as far I know, first crash in decades. That's about 3.2 million km or 55,662 hours on the road per year. There's a good chance you might be in the next smash.

In reality, I believe this bus company provides the safest transport between Pattaya and Bangkok. It's safer than driving yourself or taking a taxi.

8 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

Another high speed rear end collision.  Nothing will ever change their terrible driving habits are ingrained in the culture.

If it is one of the popular buses from Suvarnabhumi to Pattaya (?) such a seious accident is a rare occurrence.

As often as I sat in one of these buses they never speed.

Either asleep at the wheel or the truck driver does not tell the whole story,

34 minutes ago, Lemsta69 said:

I'm a little bit concerned because it involved one of the Bangkok-Paataya buses. I've done that trip quite a few times and the drivers have always been very competent, at least they seemed that way. no recklessness like the peanut gallery assume of all Thai bus drivers.

You were faster. My experience too. It's not the typical provincial overland bus kept together by paint and brake line fixed with duct tape.

But in the end it's humans sitting at the wheel.

29 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

You were faster. My experience too. It's not the typical provincial overland bus kept together by paint and brake line fixed with duct tape.

But in the end it's humans sitting at the wheel.

@Seppius mentioned earlier that they're running the service every 10 minutes in each direction, I guess it must be really busy right now. Perhaps they're having to scrape the bottom of the barrel to get drivers to meet the demand? 

I'll be needing to visit Pattaya in a few weeks, maybe I'll take the train instead 😅

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, Jonathan Swift said:

In 10 years of trips to Pattaya I have never in any way felt unsafe on a bus.

Same. The "RR" drivers are decent, they're not the cowboys that some posters are making them out to be. 

At least they were until this incident. Hopefully it's a one-off and doesn't happen to me when I head to Patts in a few weeks 😱

my

8 hours ago, stix40 said:

Always in a hurry

Cannot wait 

Always some one  up your arse 

Overtaking on the left

Overtaking on the hill

Overtaking on the bend 

Looking at Facebook

Looking at a movie 

Cannot see out of the windscreen because it's 90 % tinted

Cannot see out of the windscreen because of budah structures or luang  por figures

Cannot stop because because there is 6 ton in a 1 ton pickup 

Cannot stop because the breaks don't work

Cannot steer properly because the front wheels are not touching the ground due to weight distribution

Please feel free to add to the list 😜

that's how my wife drives? got a problem? me too.

8 hours ago, Rampant Rabbit said:

They  hog the  right hand lane  at  night and WILL not  move  over, when you flash them despite the other 2  lanes being empty they put  on the right indicator, you  have to undertake......then slow down in front  of them and put  on the right indicator...........they really dont  like that!

Retaliation, what a stupid way for you to conduct yourself on the road whilst still complaining about Thai drivers' standards.

2 hours ago, smew said:

Just another useless statistic: I remember some 3-4 yrs ago , a bus from up north coming to BKK school children and same thing , 16 killed including a teacher or two, twin girls 16yrs only children in a family gone....driver on yaba and no bus driving permit no driving training...road condiiton was blamed ... what happened to him ... ZERO.... simply unbelievable  

What makes you think that there were "ZERO" consequences for the driver?

3 hours ago, JoseThailand said:

I take this bus on a regular basis. I think people got injured because they were not buckled up. But I'm not sure if the seatbelts on this bus are even functional. I usually don't buckle up either, but now I think I have to start doing that, if at all possible.

It's rare the seatbelts work in them buses.  I always want to buckle up when i get on any road transport in Thailand but usually the belts are just there for show and non useable.   

• Sad 1

I was on a bus/coach from Surin to Maha Sarakham sunday and the seats were full and they just had people standing in the aisle for a 4 hour journey.  At least 20 people standing in the aisle of the coach.  incredible.  And not the first time I've seen that.  It beggars belief.     

10 hours ago, JoseThailand said:

I take this bus on a regular basis. I think people got injured because they were not buckled up. But I'm not sure if the seatbelts on this bus are even functional. I usually don't buckle up either, but now I think I have to start doing that, if at all possible.

I was wondering today while riding in a taxi without my seatbelt fastened, will my hospitalization insurance pay for injuries in a motor vehicle accident if I am not seatbelted?

4 hours ago, digger70 said:

he was driving in the second lane from left when the bus suddenly rammed into the rear at full force leading to him losing control and the big vehicle flipping over. 

If that's true than the bus driver must go to jail for being an idiot driver.

I you can't see a Semi truck driving  in front of you than you shouldn't be on the road and definitely not driving a bus with people.

So you've read the a official accident report form?

That's curious because the police seldom properly do one and are even less likely to make them publicly available - or were you at the scene and have interviewed al the witnesses and calibrated the scene and done the calculations related to speed and trajectory - did you take into account the overall weight of the bus with the passengers the effects of ABS -the speed of the other vehicles involved the weather conditions, temperature condition of road surface, mechanical condition of both vehicles (was the trailer the correct height?) etc. etc., or are you just believing what you want to?

24 minutes ago, paulikens said:

It's the constant tailgating they do here.  Why they all have to drive right up each others arses i do not know.  

It takes 2 to tailgate.

What you re saying anecdotal based on personal assumption it is the misinformation effect. 

Edited by kwilco

55 minutes ago, kwilco said:

So you've read the a official accident report form?

That's curious because the police seldom properly do one and are even less likely to make them publicly available - or were you at the scene and have interviewed al the witnesses and calibrated the scene and done the calculations related to speed and trajectory - did you take into account the overall weight of the bus with the passengers the effects of ABS -the speed of the other vehicles involved the weather conditions, temperature condition of road surface, mechanical condition of both vehicles (was the trailer the correct height?) etc. etc., or are you just believing what you want to?

Grow Up, Don't be ridicules if you can't see a truck in front of you  no matter what the weather is you shouldn't be on the road .

15 hours ago, flyingtlger said:

With so many accidents occurring every day in Thailand, unfortunately its become all too common.

I'm getting desensitized to it all...... 

No. No you are not.

You are the avid, first-responder to most all 'bad news' items as soon as they appear on this forum, where you have a tendency to post one or two short sentences offering absolutely nothing informative, constructive or creative.

Edited by NanLaew

38 minutes ago, digger70 said:

Grow Up, Don't be ridicules if you can't see a truck in front of you  no matter what the weather is you shouldn't be on the road .

cognitive dissonance - you are not in a position to make any of those comments...

THe fact you are basing your comments on the media press release and your own prejudices just shows how naive people are. - you're not even a witness - they are notoriously unreliable.

Edited by kwilco