PM wants tourists sight-seeing or shopping, not stuck in airports

snoop1130

3 minutes ago, snoop1130 said:

Prime Minister Srettha Thavisin has wanted all arriving air passengers from abroad to take no more than 30 minutes going through the immigration procedure and picking up their luggage.

How much delay did his presence there, with everyone having to pay heed, caused passengers moving through immigration?

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

13 hours ago, drrobert said:

In Australia, Thais are part of the select nationalities that enter via the automatic gate as the visa are all electonic. On departure everyone goes through the automatic gate. Why not reciprocal rights in Thailand?  

Australians do not even need to have Visas to visit Thailand, hardly reciprocal!

15 hours ago, ThailandGuy said:

Can this also please for leaving the country?  It takes way to long to get through the queues at emigration when leaving the country. Why?

Only yesterday, queued on escalator, turned right, at the bottom, stuck in the queue for 40 minutes, counted 8 booths not open, and the queue behind me was still backed up the escalator, when I finally passed through.

• Sad 1

15 hours ago, CG1 Blue said:

Agree. I flew out from BKK in December. First we had to queue for an escalator that took you down to the immigration area, and that was a bun fight with some jumping the queue and nobody organising it. That queue took about 15 minutes. 

Then when we finally got down the escalator we had to guess whether to go right or left (I think left was for Thais), so we gambled on right. Then joined a snaking queue with about 6 rows. The booth staff were taking so long for each passenger and we were in the queue for about 45 minutes. 

Utter shambles, at the country's 'flagship' airport. 

The queue after security check leading to the descending escalator , hardly moved one time and airport workers were asking passengers what time their flights departed and some passengers whose flights were about an hour away , were taken out of the queue and to the front of the immigration line . Nearly every time there are not enough immigration officers at arrivals or departures . Planning to arrive at departure check in 3 hours prior to your flight time , is now leaving it tight because sometimes the check in can be slow as well .

• Agree 1

It's not the arrival it's the departure that's the problem--starting with check-in.  The last time my spouse and I flew we were on a budget carrier.  BKK has several of the budget airlines in just one check-in area.  The line to check in went almost half the length of the terminal.  We walked up to the aisle check-in letter--I forget which letter--not realizing we were walking past the check-in line--and not realizing a line could possibly be that long.  This was before you even got to the zig zag part.  We had to turn around and walk back to the end of the line.   Meanwhile, other check-in aisles had hardly any check-ins.   Why not spread out the airlines that are attracting the most passengers to make check-in easier?   The whole departure process took about 3 hours, nearly as long as the flight, itself. 

• Like 1

15 minutes is just not enough time for me to beckon you forward, slowly flick through the pages of your passport, stop halfway through and look at you, judge you, pull out the tm6 and read that, both sides. Ask "why you come here, again, again?". Look down shaking head, flick through remaining pages, ask the person behind me a question completely unrelated to you. Choose one of many stamps, stamp passport on single page right in the middle, Thailand needs full page for stamp, you whoreson foreigner!. Check random pages in passport again, audibly sigh. I grant you entry to Siam this one time, but never again, take yourself from my sight.

IM officer probably

- To be fair I've only had this experience once, most have been quite pleasant.

Edited by fondue zoo