Grab drivers constantly asking us to cancel

DonniePeverley

2 minutes ago, digbeth said:

if they cancel, they lose 'reputation' with the company and would get less job sent to them, so they'd lie and say their car broke down or whatever

So they refuse to cancel themselves. Then kind of play a game a chicken to see if we cancel ? Knowing the mentality of Taxi drivers here they would rather sit and not accept any jobs rather than have to cancel. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

5 minutes ago, patman30 said:

Grab drivers make so little they cannot afford to sit in traffic burning fuel.
Customers always love the cheap cheap prices
but most people are unaware or ignore the fact that apps like, Grab, Bolt, Uber, Lineman etc pay the actual person doing the work very little
while the tech company takes a big chunk
the companies do not care about the workers or the turnover
as they know there are plenty more people desperate enough to have a go

One thing you can do to try and help avoid drivers wanting to cancel
is tell them in advance what their tip will be
Many people do this anyway to get the ride accepted quicker where demand is high
but personally this should never be needed, as this just allows the greedy tech company to continue being greedy

I have news for you - even the regular taxis on the street have fees to pay to use a taxi. 

• Confused 3
  • Sad 1

34 minutes ago, DonniePeverley said:

I have news for you - even the regular taxis on the street have fees to pay to use a taxi. 

where did i say this does not happen?
As i said most people ignore the fact that Grab drivers get paid very little while the tech company takes a chunk
all the customers care about is cheap cheap price
Thank you for proving my point.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Elkski said:

School runs?    Why do they want you to cancel?  Why would they take the fare?  Why would you ever cancel

Not sure of Grab but believe Uber also rates customers - so after reading perhaps drivers have second thoughts and don't want to carry but black mark if they cancel so ask customer to do so and if customer cancels the customer go even lower on the rating scale?

• Agree 1

45 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

There is no taxi mafia in Bangkok ...

Try hailing a taxi in front of popular shopping malls.... the rank full of taxis and tuktuks blocking traffic that's conveniently ignored by the police would be evidence otherwise 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, digbeth said:

Try hailing a taxi in front of popular shopping malls.... the rank full of taxis and tuktuks blocking traffic that's conveniently ignored by the police would be evidence otherwise 

Been doing so for decades - only issue has been having to sometimes use street taxi and a short walk rather than a queue vehicle.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, lopburi3 said:

Not sure of Grab but believe Uber also rates customers - so after reading perhaps drivers have second thoughts and don't want to carry but black mark if they cancel so ask customer to do so and if customer cancels the customer go even lower on the rating scale?

Grab bought Uber in Thailand quite a while ago.

4 hours ago, retarius said:

If you use such services don't expect them to do you any favours. They are there to fleece you and to terrify pedestrians and other road users with their terroristic driving.

Can you us BOLT taxi in your area?

Maybe same problem but GRAB and BOLT and the others don't operate exactly the same.

I use BOLT several times every week, never a problem.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, DonniePeverley said:

We unfortunately got rinsed by our agent, who showed us a lovely condo - but deceptively failed to mention the school runs in the area are absolutely horrific. 

So whenever we attempt to order a grab, they will always accept it straight away, but then immediately call and message and tell us to cancel. Even if i attempt to book the premium grab, they just want to cancel. 

What is the glitch in the system that makes them accept the job in the first place? Then why can't they cancel it themselves? But no, they want me to cancel. Sometimes i give it ten minutes, and watch their cars sitting their stationary (they could have come to me in 5 mins), and they still don't cancel. 

The problem is as soon as you cancel, Grab then penalise me and add a fare onto the next attempt i make. 

With the taxi mafia now in full swing in Bangkok and rarely anyone using a meter, it's become ridiculous here. 

A common issue....  'Thainess' creeping into these Apps - the only solution is every time this happens to make a complaint - it we want continued 'good service and convenience' of these Apps, then we have to play our part too and give feedback. 

The reason this happens: 

Ride Hailing / sharing Apps such as Grab / Bolt (Uber) only identify the pickup point to the drivers in the area, they not identify the destination to the driver... 

The reason for this is that some destinations are more favourable to a driver than others and other area's are drivers will not want to go into due to heavier traffic...

Also, if a driver is in an area and are 'logged in as 'available' they have to accept x amounts of rides or they will be down-rated (as I understand it)...

So... They accept the ride, then decided they don't want to take the fare - but they don't want to cancel themselves as they will be penalised....  Thus, they contact you and ask you to cancel it, thus protecting themselves at your expense.

Grab and Bolt are aware of this - and in their 'drop down menu' of reasons for cancelling the ride, there is the option "Driver asked to cancel"...  in which case you should not be charged.

--------

When UBER was around and there was better competition, this was less of an issue.

But, I do recall a similar issue where I'd ordered an UBER...    and they driver clearly didn't want the fare but had accepted. 

I was in no rush. The driver hadn't moved for 20 mins, so I ordered a Grab and left the UBER fare 'open'.

I was already at home an hour later (after getting Grab) before the UBER driver cancelled the ride having still not moved.

• Love It 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, scorecard said:

Can you us BOLT taxi in your area?

Maybe same problem but GRAB and BOLT and the others don't operate exactly the same.

I use BOLT several times every week, never a problem.

A lot of the issue is 'area dependent'....    

I find it a real struggle to get Grab or Bolt from my area (in Bangkok) - it seems the area is just not well serviced with Grab or Bolt drivers and getting a ride is very hit and miss.

2 hours ago, FritsSikkink said:

Grab bought Uber in Thailand quite a while ago.

I don't think Grab did 'buy out' UBER...   But, laws were passed to make UBER illegal and UBER were pushed out of the market - ultimately, nepotism as 'power players' took no gain from Uber being in South East Asia... Whereas Grab clearly had the right connections (greased the right wheels) to remain operational.

Grab then adjusted their App to include 'regular taxis'... With 'Grab Taxi'  as well as Grab Car, Grab SUV etc...  

Competition (Uber) was removed, Grab prices went up, quality of service went down.

Other 'local' competition arrived... Bolt, All Thai Taxi, London Taxi,  Bolt has made the best of inroads into Grabs business and has brought back 'some' competition. 

InDrive is more 'international competition' - it will be intresting to see how they develop in the local market.

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

37 minutes ago, Sydebolle said:

Use "Bolt" 

In the 'areas' where difficulty is experienced with Grab Drivers...   it is usual that the very same difficulties are experienced with Bolt. 

Bolt used to be 'cash only' so drivers preferred that so it generated more availability of drivers. 

Now, both Apps can be cash or cash free - so that 'preferences' for the drivers is removed and Grab rates are higher (drivers make more money) so more of them are on Grab again (thats the way I see it anyway).

35 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

A common issue....  'Thainess' creeping into these Apps - the only solution is every time this happens to make a complaint - it we want continued 'good service and convenience' of these Apps, then we have to play our part too and give feedback. 

The reason this happens: 

Ride Hailing / sharing Apps such as Grab / Bolt (Uber) only identify the pickup point to the drivers in the area, they not identify the destination to the driver... 

The reason for this is that some destinations are more favourable to a driver than others and other area's are drivers will not want to go into due to heavier traffic...

Also, if a driver is in an area and are 'logged in as 'available' they have to accept x amounts of rides or they will be down-rated (as I understand it)...

So... They accept the ride, then decided they don't want to take the fare - but they don't want to cancel themselves as they will be penalised....  Thus, they contact you and ask you to cancel it, thus protecting themselves at your expense.

Grab and Bolt are aware of this - and in their 'drop down menu' of reasons for cancelling the ride, there is the option "Driver asked to cancel"...  in which case you should not be charged.

--------

When UBER was around and there was better competition, this was less of an issue.

But, I do recall a similar issue where I'd ordered an UBER...    and they driver clearly didn't want the fare but had accepted. 

I was in no rush. The driver hadn't moved for 20 mins, so I ordered a Grab and left the UBER fare 'open'.

I was already at home an hour later (after getting Grab) before the UBER driver cancelled the ride having still not moved.

I don't understand whythe issue here. You can always cancel the ride stating the driver did not show up. There is no fee for that to you... Also it downgrades the driver and eventually they will lose their jobs. I have had drivers ask me to cancel many times.. I only contact the app customer service and explain this and they write a complaint against the driver. 

• Agree 1

6 hours ago, DonniePeverley said:

Sometimes i give it ten minutes, and watch their cars sitting their stationary

Why?  Why would you wait for the taxi you booked to turn up for you, watch it waiting and not use it?  Surely you're abusing the system (unless you didn't describe the circumstances accurately)?

29 minutes ago, thesetat2013 said:

I don't understand whythe issue here. You can always cancel the ride stating the driver did not show up. There is no fee for that to you... Also it downgrades the driver and eventually they will lose their jobs. I have had drivers ask me to cancel many times.. I only contact the app customer service and explain this and they write a complaint against the driver. 

Agreed... but its also rather frustrating the frequency with which this happens...   

It seems that whatever happens with Taxi's (or similar) in Thailand there is a mentality attached resulting in so many own-goals with such services where lack of professional enforcement weakens standards at the cost of service to the customer.

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, richard_smith237 said:

I don't think Grab did 'buy out' UBER...   But, laws were passed to make UBER illegal and UBER were pushed out of the market - ultimately, nepotism as 'power players' took no gain from Uber being in South East Asia... Whereas Grab clearly had the right connections (greased the right wheels) to remain operational.

You think wrong:

Grab Confirms Acquisition Of Uber's Southeast Asia Operations (vulcanpost.com)

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

5 hours ago, DonniePeverley said:

So they refuse to cancel themselves. Then kind of play a game a chicken to see if we cancel ? Knowing the mentality of Taxi drivers here they would rather sit and not accept any jobs rather than have to cancel. 

"...Knowing the mentality of Taxi drivers...".

Knowing the mentality of "some foreigners", that you specifically described very knowledgeably, you seem to play a game of booking a taxi knowing that they will want to cancel and then not taking it when it does turn up.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Why?  Why would you wait for the taxi you booked to turn up for you, watch it waiting and not use it?  Surely you're abusing the system (unless you didn't describe the circumstances accurately)?

The drivers accept the ride... then have no intention of taking the ride, so instead of contacting you and asking you to cancel... (which you can report), they just 'wait you out' and hope you will cancel for a different reason (i.e. driver too far away etc or something similar)... then they are free to take the 'next ride' in the hope its to a destination they prefer.

• Thanks 1