Grab drivers constantly asking us to cancel

DonniePeverley

On 2/7/2024 at 7:43 AM, DonniePeverley said:

What is the glitch in the system that makes them accept the job in the first place? Then why can't they cancel it themselves? But no, they want me to cancel. Sometimes i give it ten minutes, and watch their cars sitting their stationary (they could have come to me in 5 mins), and they still don't cancel. 

They want YOU to cancel because Grab is quite strict with drivers who cancel too often. I've never reacted to such a plea. If they want to cancel, it's on them.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Caldera said:

They want YOU to cancel because Grab is quite strict with drivers who cancel too often. I've never reacted to such a plea. If they want to cancel, it's on them.

But if you are in desperate need of a taxi, and the driver doesn't cancel - you are then unable to get a taxi. You have to cancel to try and find another driver. 

On 2/7/2024 at 10:54 AM, mfinasi said:

I can deal with cancel requests, annoying, but it is what it is - at least they are upfront even with the old broken down excuse, I more despise "coming to you" (auto translate) then they don't move for 15+ minutes in areas with no traffic, in those scenarios I just flag a normal taxi, and call their bluff,  I turn off location permission for the app so they can't see my location as I move away in a normal taxi or alternative app (under Privacy and Security), let the bluff ride, eventually they move, then I wait until they are within 100 meters, then cancel and swallow the 15baht fee. It's petty but if they don't even attempt to communicate I feel no guilt. 

THB52 charged to me this morning, when I cancelled because "too far away".....(more than 10 minutes).

Same reply for below. It's a scam. They seem to be getting more creative at little rip offs here and there.

On 2/7/2024 at 2:02 PM, richard_smith237 said:

The drivers accept the ride... then have no intention of taking the ride, so instead of contacting you and asking you to cancel... (which you can report), they just 'wait you out' and hope you will cancel for a different reason (i.e. driver too far away etc or something similar)... then they are free to take the 'next ride' in the hope its to a destination they prefer.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, DonniePeverley said:

But if you are in desperate need of a taxi, and the driver doesn't cancel - you are then unable to get a taxi. You have to cancel to try and find another driver. 

Not a positive for life in a big city without your own transport. My trouble is deciding which of 3 vehicles to use. When i tell the wife we are in a traffic jam here in Utah, she laughs . Dueing rush hours we do have these annoying metering lights on the in ramps spacing out the cars getting on the freeways.  Maybe have to wait 3 minutes. 

4 hours ago, DonniePeverley said:

You still have a normal meter taxi available most times/places in the city - you are not faced with the choice to use Grab or walk.