You are not logged in ▶️ Click to sign-up or login ×
ASEANNOW Official TikTok account is now LIVE! -Follow Us! ×

Death of my Dad but cannot go back

Adrian78

5 hours ago, Gecko123 said:

Not to mention difficult to renew visas, etc. Just doesn't make sense.

Visas can be extended for the specific reason of having a court casse pending so it doeesn't seem too far fetched to me.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, treetops said:

Visas can be extended for the specific reason of having a court casse pending so it doeesn't seem too far fetched to me.

Requesting a visa extension due to pending legal matters and having your passport confiscated because of pending civil litigation are entirely separate matters.

Edited by Gecko123
  • Confused 1

On 2/7/2024 at 3:39 PM, Adrian78 said:

There is a moment in everyone's life that you hope will happen as late as possible: it happened to me yesterday. My dad said goodbye to us after a short illness that debilitated him and made him unrecognizable.

But the thing that is killing me inside is that, 99% , I won't be able to fly to France for the funeral because I'm facing a civil case here in Thailand and the court has kept my passport.

I really don't know what to do, even though I have no choice but to stay and go see him when it's all over.

R.I.P. Dad.

I wasn't there for any of my family, ever. My parents travelled, and as it was all by ship then I missed my grandparents funerals.

I was in England when my mother died, and in Thailand when my father died.

I suppose it's a big deal for some, but there is nothing left of "them" except for a body.

You could do what my sister did for our mother and cremate him, then keep the ashes to scatter when you get back. You could even have the ceremony then, though I didn't. It was enough to scatter the ashes in her favourite place.

Had I died in LOS, no family member would have attended the cremation, no problem for me, as "I" will no longer be present.

• Like 1

On 2/7/2024 at 4:23 PM, OneMoreFarang said:

The family could consider a cremation now and funeral of the ashes (I don't know the name of this) later, maybe months later.

My parents died at Covid times, and I couldn't go there at that time. I didn't worry much about it. They were dead and my presence wouldn't make any difference. 

I said much the same in my first post.

15 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I wasn't there for any of my family, ever. My parents travelled, and as it was all by ship then I missed my grandparents funerals.

I was in England when my mother died, and in Thailand when my father died.

I suppose it's a big deal for some, but there is nothing left of "them" except for a body.

You could do what my sister did for our mother and cremate him, then keep the ashes to scatter when you get back. You could even have the ceremony then, though I didn't. It was enough to scatter the ashes in her favourite place.

Had I died in LOS, no family member would have attended the cremation, no problem for me, as "I" will no longer be present.

My parents (88 and 92) have told me in no uncertain terms not to attend their funerals (a-religious and already paid for with, yes, The Co-Op).

My sister is in the UK and will handle any arrangements.

I'm sure my wife will do some prayers and burn some incense here in Thailand.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Gecko123 said:

Requesting a visa extension due to pending legal matters and having your passport confiscated because of pending civil litigation are entirely separate matters.

Implicitly linked in as much as there are procedures in place to make sure the defendant doesn't leave the country, but still has the ability to remain there lawfully.

• Agree 1

13 minutes ago, treetops said:

Implicitly linked in as much as there are procedures in place to make sure the defendant doesn't leave the country, but still has the ability to remain there lawfully.

No they are not implicitly linked.

Extending a visa allows a person to remain in the country legally. Extending a visa does not prevent a person from leaving the country. Extending a visa is often done at the request of the foreigner in order to enable them to pursue their case.

Confiscating a passport has nothing to do with the right to remain in the country legally. It only serves to prevents someone from leaving. Confiscating a foreigner's passport because of civil litigation would be akin to telling a Thai litigant that they can't leave the country during the litigation process. Maybe in a criminal case where the defendant was granted bail, but it's unheard of in civil litigation.

A foreigner's passport is often their primary, if not sole form of identification which needs to be updated periodically and is needed for numerous transactions including making bank deposits and withdrawals. It's completely unworkable to confiscate a foreigner's passport during a civil trial which can take months upon months if not years to resolve. I'm sorry for the OP's loss. All I'm saying is the reason he gave for not being able to attend the funeral didn't ring true to life for me.

On 2/7/2024 at 11:30 AM, richard_smith237 said:

Yeah 'cos its obviously as simple as that... 

-------

Why is it when on this forum someone highlights an issue they are having there is always at least one who feels compelled to respond with an over simplistic dumbed down response as if only they were capable of such clarity and genius ???

- Don't these people realise the exceptional myopic stupidity of their reply ?

Bravo,  I was thinking the same but I dont write well enough to put it down like you. My thoughts was much shorter more like like FU!

19 hours ago, Gecko123 said:

No they are not implicitly linked.

The Thai legal system appears to say otherwise, but the OP hasn't been back since he started the thread so will probably never clarify.

Sounds harsh, but I may be happier just not attending. Not because I don't care, but just because I don't need closure much. I have the memories. It's probably more about bonding with living family for me during the funeral.

Funerals cause a sharp spike in grief and focus on "moving on" rather then a slow realization with a lot of time to come to terms with someone passing. I'm more of a take time guy.

Edited by JimTripper

On 2/7/2024 at 9:50 AM, flyingtlger said:

Sorry to hear about your father but it sounds like you no choice but to wait until your civil case is settled.

What kind of civil case are you involved in that required you to relinquish your passport?

Can you talk to the judge and explain your situation?

Judges are human too and may have compassion for you......

Wrong, some judges don't, I won a case, a civil case then two weeks later my lawyer phoned me and said the judge had changed her mind. Probably another brown envelope case.

My condolences about your dad.

Edited by NoshowJones

There's this line from one of Leonard Cohen's songs: "Everybody got this broken feeling, Like their father or their dog just died". ......my Dad just passed a few days ago at 95, my Brother is thinking of deferring the funeral to May when me and the Fam go back to Canada....."broken feeling"?......nope, more like "the ship just came in feeling"....Thanks Dad!!....I'll have more than one on you 🙏

On 2/8/2024 at 1:34 PM, Gecko123 said:

A foreigner's passport is often their primary, if not sole form of identification which needs to be updated periodically and is needed for numerous transactions including making bank deposits and withdrawals. 

No, you can use an ATM card for that.