Death of my Dad but cannot go back

Adrian78

There is a moment in everyone's life that you hope will happen as late as possible: it happened to me yesterday. My dad said goodbye to us after a short illness that debilitated him and made him unrecognizable.

But the thing that is killing me inside is that, 99% , I won't be able to fly to France for the funeral because I'm facing a civil case here in Thailand and the court has kept my passport.

I really don't know what to do, even though I have no choice but to stay and go see him when it's all over.

R.I.P. Dad.

• Sad 9

Sorry for your loss.

My father will hit 90 next month. He's alright, all things considered, but....

Even without legal issues, not always easy to 'just get on a plane'. Comes with the package of living abroad.

If you cannot attend, and there's a service, you could ask family members/friend to maybe set up a video link (many apps for that).

There's this line from one of Leonard Cohen's songs: "Everybody got this broken feeling, Like their father or their dog just died".

• Like 1
  • Love It 1

5 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

The family could consider a cremation now and funeral of the ashes (I don't know the name of this) later, maybe months later.

My parents died at Covid times, and I couldn't go there at that time. I didn't worry much about it. They were dead and my presence wouldn't make any difference. 

Sometimes makes a difference to family.

Sometimes comes and stabs you from behind when you think you're good.

At least my experience.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

Maybe Zoom or similar is available for the funeral ceremony, must have been available during covid

If the option of physically attending is removed...  This is perhaps the best alternative...  I've known of this for numerous funerals recently.

• Agree 1

8 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Yeah 'cos its obviously as simple as that... 

-------

Why is it when on this forum someone highlights an issue they are having there is always at least one who feels compelled to respond with an over simplistic dumbed down response as if only they were capable of such clarity and genius ???

- Don't these people realise the exceptional myopic stupidity of their reply ?

It might be, we both don't know that. The OP might not think clear as he is in emotional distress.

What is your excuse for your answer?

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, Morch said:

Sometimes makes a difference to family.

Sometimes comes and stabs you from behind when you think you're good.

At least my experience.

Some families see funerals differently and that's their human right.

My dad died, twenty years earlier he had disowned his nasty mother, for very good reasons.

When dad died my mother and I decided I should call and see if she was still alive and if so tell her dad had passed away. The called happened and we (mum and myself) that we had done our duty and we moved on to complete the arrangements for dad's burial.

Dad's mum got her daughter to call many places in our small city and get the dat, place, time of the impending burial.

Halfway through the burial, the coffin was being lowered into the ground a car pulled, dad's mother got out and ran to the grave and tried to throw herself onto his coffin. She was held back and went into rant of abuse towards my mum and me and dad's brother who had also disowner her.

The funeral director called the police, they came and charged dad's mother with disturbing the peace.

Took my mum month's to get up the confidence to leave the house. And sure enough every person she met when she was shopping and other activities tried to quiz my mum on what my mum had done to cause this situation. Truth is she had done nothing whatever. The original argument was between my dad and his mother and went back to when my dad was a little boy, and nothing more. 

Edited by scorecard
  • Sad 2
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Yeah 'cos its obviously as simple as that... 

Why is it when on this forum someone highlights an issue they are having there is always at least one who feels compelled to respond with an over simplistic dumbed down response as if only they were capable of such clarity and genius ???

- Don't these people realise the exceptional myopic stupidity of their reply ?

Hear, hear!  Can't find anything to dispute there!

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

19 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

The family could consider a cremation now and funeral of the ashes (I don't know the name of this) later, maybe months later.

My parents died at Covid times, and I couldn't go there at that time. I didn't worry much about it. They were dead and my presence wouldn't make any difference. 

The Will won't wait !

I have to say that I find it a little bit implausible that a Thai civil court would retain either the plaintiff's or defendant's passport and I'm wondering if the OP fabricated this scenario to explain to his family why he couldn't attend the funeral back home. Retention of a passport implies that the OP is the defendant, as there would be little reason to retain a passport for the plaintiff. Typically, a court is not going to get involved with ensuring that a civil judgement is enforced once it is rendered. What happens if either party appeals the case? That could take years. Is the OP's passport going to be held by the court until the matter is completely resolved? Retention of the passport would not only make it impossible to leave the country, it would make it extremely difficult to travel within Thailand. Not to mention difficult to renew visas, etc. Just doesn't make sense.

• Confused 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

i feel for you. My Dad passed after a battle with covid and there was no way for me to return. Very sad indeed. I took my family to a temple and paid respects there. A sort of token effort if you see what I mean, but if my Dad was looking down ( I dont necessarily believe in an after life) Im sure he wouldve understood. We had a family meal afterwards, sort of re affirmed our family bonds which my Dad wouldve approved of. 

I returned home last year and we spread his ashes to his choice of music so paid my respects with my son and family there.

Sorry for your loss, I hope things work out for you.

Many of my friends and I have experienced this . Most of us that live here just realize going back at a moments notice isn't possible.  Sad to hear about your loss. Best to stay out of a civil case. But that was your decision.  Good luck. 

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, alex8912 said:

So the OP has lied to his family and then turned around and came on this forum and also lied? Does that make sense  to you detective Gecko? 

As a matter of fact it does. Posting the excuse on a public forum would add legitimacy to the excuse in the eyes of those half way around the world. Psychologically speaking, repeating a lie to others can make a falsehood seem more "true" to yourself if you are feeling guilty about having lied. The key reason to believe the excuse was fabricated, however,  is that it doesn't pass the smell test in terms of how civil trials and courts usually work in Thailand. 

• Haha 1