Looking to buy a condo in Pattaya

BenStark

9 minutes ago, SGD said:

Grand Avenue - No, too many issues, I don't see long term value as it is another slave to the temporary rental market.

It happens that I'm right now looking at it online, and I like the design, as they can make a 36m² condo spacious.

Could you elaborate on the issues please?

I know it's a dodgy developer, but since the project is completed, I don't see why that would still matter.

11 hours ago, SGD said:

I think this place is too far gone in the wrong direction

That surprises me. A pal has bought and refurbished a number of condos there and rented them out, and claims he is doing well from them. Its a case of location, location and location maybe. 

On 2/16/2024 at 8:04 PM, BenStark said:

So if I buy condo from a foreigner, who owned it for more than 10 years, what are the taxes to expect?

Taxes are paid by the seller 

Taxes are minimal after owning for 5 years or more. 

Edited by SAFETY FIRST
  • Confused 1

20 hours ago, BenStark said:

It happens that I'm right now looking at it online, and I like the design, as they can make a 36m² condo spacious.

I know it's a dodgy developer, but since the project is completed, I don't see why that would still matter.

I can tell you I toured one when I was looking for a rental and did not like the building and unit. It also looked nothing as good as the brochures they have.

Edited by JimTripper

Had some feet on the ground in soi 15 today, and yes was told to avoid Grand Avenue, because of short term rentals.

Got sent a good offer in The Urban, and expect a few more in other buildings.

Any comments on The Urban specific (good or bad), and why I should choose Urban over the others, or just not?

8 hours ago, BenStark said:

Had some feet on the ground in soi 15 today, and yes was told to avoid Grand Avenue, because of short term rentals.

Any comments on The Urban specific (good or bad), and why I should choose Urban over the others, or just not?

Have you considered the bang saray area to the south? You live close to pattaya now, feels odd that you would purchase a place in town just for short stays.

11 hours ago, BenStark said:

Friend stayed at the Urban when it was new (ish) about 12 years ago ( i think ), 1 bedroom place, was ok but small.

Great location.

3 hours ago, JimTripper said:

Have you considered the bang saray area to the south? You live close to pattaya now, feels odd that you would purchase a place in town just for short stays.

Did you actually read the OP?

Does Bang Saray have easy access to Soi Buakhow, or does it have a nightlife?

• Haha 2

32 minutes ago, PJ71 said:

Friend stayed at the Urban when it was new (ish) about 12 years ago ( i think ), 1 bedroom place, was ok but small.

Great location.

The one I got offered is over 50m², so should be fine.  I have seen others 43m² and smaller of which they made a 1 bedroom, and although the design was nice, that is too narrow to live

11 minutes ago, BenStark said:

The one I got offered is over 50m², so should be fine.  I have seen others 43m² and smaller of which they made a 1 bedroom, and although the design was nice, that is too narrow to live

If you don't mind me asking, what price are they asking for that, sale or rent?

• Like 1

On 2/18/2024 at 8:47 PM, BenStark said:

In the past eight years I have lived in central Pattaya and looked (both for rent and potentially buy) at many.  My thoughts:

Grand Avenue....condos appear well fitted out, but both the two I looked at had ZERO storage space.    Management fees also high (esp for a new build); those facing west and south get either a LOT of afternoon sun (something to consider with all condos, obv) or are right up against the TravelLodge.  South - plot next door up for sale so potential development soon?

Centara - built quality appears poor (have a look at the pipework in the underground car parks).   Again, west facing get sun, east facing too close to noise from Buakhow.  Pool and gym appear large, but with hotel and number of units do not expect will be quiet.

Avenue/Urban/City Garden - more established and better value IMV.  Avenue and Urban appear to be well run by Committee/Juristic, City Garden does get some airbnb I hear and Juristic not interested in tackling this despite big notice at entrance. 

Pride - seems rather dates, sma;; pool.  Potential noise from Soi Diana bars.

Diana Estates- great location, BUT - traffic on Buakhow getting worse; noise from Tree Town well into small hours.

PKCP - dated, but good value.  A little further out but near baht bus and with own tx not a problem.

PH

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, BenStark said:

I like the layout of the Urban 50m2 and the Avenue 45m2 units...both make good use of space imv, unlike the 48m2 (?) units at City Garden.

PH

3 minutes ago, Phulublub said:

In the past eight years I have lived in central Pattaya and looked (both for rent and potentially buy) at many.  My thoughts:

Grand Avenue....condos appear well fitted out, but both the two I looked at had ZERO storage space.    Management fees also high (esp for a new build); those facing west and south get either a LOT of afternoon sun (something to consider with all condos, obv) or are right up against the TravelLodge.  South - plot next door up for sale so potential development soon?

Centara - built quality appears poor (have a look at the pipework in the underground car parks).   Again, west facing get sun, east facing too close to noise from Buakhow.  Pool and gym appear large, but with hotel and number of units do not expect will be quiet.

Avenue/Urban/City Garden - more established and better value IMV.  Avenue and Urban appear to be well run by Committee/Juristic, City Garden does get some airbnb I hear and Juristic not interested in tackling this despite big notice at entrance. 

Pride - seems rather dates, sma;; pool.  Potential noise from Soi Diana bars.

Diana Estates- great location, BUT - traffic on Buakhow getting worse; noise from Tree Town well into small hours.

PKCP - dated, but good value.  A little further out but near baht bus and with own tx not a problem.

PH

Thanks for that info.

Grand Avenue was off my list already, and will pay attention to what you mention about Centara Avenue, as I will go look at one in the next few days.

I have a friend who lives there for years already, and purchased a second condo there just the other day.

PKCP is indeed good value, but I went around there yesterday, and when I saw the outside of the building, I didn't bother to stop the car.

Been in Pride as well. Looked good and quiet.

City Garden not really my style, but will consider good offers.

Yes I think Avenue and Urban are the ones with the better management

11 hours ago, BenStark said:

Thanks for that info.

Grand Avenue was off my list already, and will pay attention to what you mention about Centara Avenue, as I will go look at one in the next few days.

I have a friend who lives there for years already, and purchased a second condo there just the other day.

PKCP is indeed good value, but I went around there yesterday, and when I saw the outside of the building, I didn't bother to stop the car.

Been in Pride as well. Looked good and quiet.

City Garden not really my style, but will consider good offers.

Yes I think Avenue and Urban are the ones with the better management

Pkcp is one of the best condo buildings in that area! What did you not like about the outside?

Did you also checkout the Euro & Centerpoint buildings right behind Pkcp?

Edited by JimTripper

8 minutes ago, JimTripper said:

Pkcp is one of the best condo buildings in that area! What did you not like about the outside?

Did you also checkout the Euro & Centerpoint buildings right behind Pkcp?

The building looks very decayed from the outside, as does that whole area actually does. Some goes for Centre point, which I already consdered low grade when it was new.

I also assume that security will be zero in PCKP, and I know you consider that a positive, but others not.

We definitely have a different taste about condo's Jim, I hope next you don't suggest Nirun and 9 Karat

11 minutes ago, JimTripper said:

Pool is depressing, gym looks tragic, reception area looks like a hospital. Whats the average age of the patients ...i mean residents? 555

Wouldn't live there for free. Seriously i wouldn't.

9 minutes ago, noobexpat said:

Surely cetus is better in that area ...??

I guess you mean Apus, and I was thinking about that one also since I pass it almost every day.

Any one who can share some real life info on Apus Condo?

• Thumbs Up 1

23 minutes ago, BenStark said:

The building looks very decayed from the outside, as does that whole area actually does. Some goes for Centre point, which I already consdered low grade when it was new.

I also assume that security will be zero in PCKP, and I know you consider that a positive, but others not.

We definitely have a different taste about condo's Jim, I hope next you don't suggest Nirun and 9 Karat

I agree with you about Centerpoint & Euro. I can't see anything wrong with the Pkcp concrete exterior though. All three buildings have 24/7 security, but not keycard type security. It's more like a guard at a desk and lock and key setup.

I think you are just looking for a more modern newer building. Those look a bit newer but I see them as poor quality. I like solid older buildings as long as they are clean.

If you are talking about the grungyness of the neighborhood, you are going to get that most anywhere in Central Pattaya. They don't have clean Bangkok type upscale areas here.

Maybe you can look at LK Legend. It's in a grotty area though near Nirun, but I think the building itself is newer.

Edited by JimTripper

Question for the real estate experts here.

I am aware that March - April are busy months for tourists. Do you think this has a significant effect on the current sales prices, and we may expect lower prices after Songkran?

2 hours ago, BenStark said:

Been looking at a condo, and noticed damage to the balcony ceiling. Management says it is from the rain, but in my opinion, the problem is bigger than that.

Please look at the video and tell me what you think

Not rain. I would guess the balcony drain pipe from the floor above is not sealed properly.

Or does an aircon pipe run along there? ....can't see the unit position though.

Edited by noobexpat
  • Agree 2

On 2/19/2024 at 12:43 AM, jacko45k said:

That surprises me. A pal has bought and refurbished a number of condos there and rented them out, and claims he is doing well from them. Its a case of location, location and location maybe. 

I'm talking about living there versus investing there.

However, rents have crashed and though they have bounced a little, there are issues with the place being a glorified Airbnb place and many units have been absolutely hammered without much reinvestment.

I lived in Pattaya through the era when condos were not routinely finished and every condo was sold as a concrete shell. In VT2 for instance we had years of building work as there were always condos being fitted out. Thankfully that is now behind us but even if you look at modern developments, a great many landlords fail to put in the higher level finishes and some just bang a tv on the wall.

VT6 is stuck in the middle. <deleted>ty old stuff and some newer stuff.

I'd invest there if the price was right but it isn't. I can buy 2 condos in VT2 for the price of 1 in VT6 and I can achieve between 1.5 and 2 times the rent of VT6. The days of 30k+a month for VT6 are long gone.

• Like 1

On 2/20/2024 at 2:18 AM, Phulublub said:

...Diana Estates- great location, BUT - traffic on Buakhow getting worse; noise from Tree Town well into small hours.

Diana Estates cannot resolve the cheap charlie design with no lifts and balconies that are about 12 inches wide.

They were ok value at 600k to 1m but at 1.8m to 3m and 60/70k per sqm, they are madness valuations.

I nearly bought about 10 or 12 of them from an investor some year ago. I should have for capital returns but in truth the place grinds on me and I have stayed there 2 or 3 times to assess it. The flooding doesn't help either.

The other problem is that because the infrastructure is so <deleted>, it isn't worth investing lots to make a really nice condo.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, SGD said:

I'm talking about living there versus investing there.

He told me a lift was out for a while and that impacts people as it  is crowded.  He is a bit unhappy that AirBNB are involved too much there, with the shorter term rentals.....I also  know someone who just got a place there for a month and was unhappy with the first offering. 

I am surprised you say rents are crashing, I see more of a pick up as I was looking at hotel prices recently... many seem to have gone up, and some 5 star places were in stratosphere price wise. Boy it was busy in north Pattaya.