Death and will

JessieDog

My ex-wife and daughters mum has passed away in Thailand she lived in buriram 

My daughter is 21 so has asked me to help her out. 

How do we contact local authorities to discuss the will my ex wife left as she has left some land and property to my daughter 

The family are twitchy and desperate to start spending 

The Amphur will be a good place to start since the death must be recorded there. If there's a formal written will, it should go through Probate Court which is not always a quick process so checking with the court is another place to look.

I would add the your local Land Office might be a stop after the Ampur.

I had a friend who has since died, but who had a nasty incident when his wife unexpectedly died a few years ago.

The family were telling him to move out of his house because it was theirs now.

My friend had inordinate faith in having a yellow book with his name on it as proof that it was his house.....but it turns out that the yellow book means absolutely nothing in these cases. 

It turned out that his mother-in-law had gone to the Land office and applied to have the names on his house (in his wife's name) moved into her name. He suspected that she paid a bribe to have the move made quickly although had no evidence for this bribe.

The upshot was that he got a very bossy, no nonsense friend (a lady, his wife's best friend) to sort it out without recourse to courts. She did it all at the Ampur and Land Office.

There were a few unexpected issues, first mothers-in-law are deemed to hold special status in the intestate deaths of their daughters (in Isaan at least); the m-i-l fraudulently signed her name saying that she was entitled to make the change (and nobody did anything about this fraud); finally it emerged that the land was leased (not chant) and the husband could have his name in the blue book, which no farang thought was even a possibility. He used to proudly show the blue book with his name in it to anyone that asked (again this might only apply locally in Isaan).

Edited by retarius
  • Like 2

53 minutes ago, JessieDog said:

Thanks to both of you. We love in the UK so I will look out the details for both the land office and ampur

If possible l would suggest flying over to Thailand to sort this out might be much easier. 

10 hours ago, retarius said:

There were a few unexpected issues, first mothers-in-law are deemed to hold special status in the intestate deaths of their daughters (in Isaan at least);

No, they don't. Isaan is no different to the rest of Thailand.

There is a line of order of inheritance.

10 hours ago, retarius said:

finally it emerged that the land was leased (not chant) and the husband could have his name in the blue book, which no farang thought was even a possibility. He used to proudly show the blue book with his name in it to anyone that asked (again this might only apply locally in Isaan).

It makes no difference where it is.

If the land was leased, permission would need to be gained from the land owner for additional names to be put into the blue book.

The blue book does not signify ownership. That is a Chanote. 

Only foreigners with PR can be in a blue book. That his name was in it would have been a mistake. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/14/2024 at 5:20 AM, Robert Thailand said:

You need to contact a lawyer. They will make a search at the land department, transportation department, etc. If there is a Last Will, it helps. If not, it is according to the law. A person might have to go to court to be appointed executor. I had a very good service with ThaiLawOnline

Thank you 

• Like 1