Fewer common mynas, these days?

Have you noticed that there are fewer common mynas in Thailand, these days, compared to a decade ago?

image.png.dd56d9250f210614dcfae48e1c142550.png

Yes or no....

I say there are fewer, and far fewer.

The myna is the greatest of birds.

Where have they gone?

I wish they would come back.

Normally, these birds seem to be most plentiful around here during the months of February and March.

Last year, they seemed to be quite sparse.

Hope it's not so.

Come back to me, little birdie!

Such a wonderful bird, in so many respects.

Come back, I say!

Regards,

Gamma

• Confused 1
  • Love It 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

11 minutes ago, GammaGlobulin said:

Have you noticed that there are fewer common mynas in Thailand, these days, compared to a decade ago?

Yes or no....

Where have they gone?

Normally, these birds seem to be most plentiful around here during the months of February and March.

Hope it's not so.

Come back, I say!

Regards,

Gamma

They have been called "rats of the skies" in Australia, due to their impact on the native bird population.

Perhaps they are affected by air pollution too.

https://landcare.nsw.gov.au/groups/northern-slopes-landcare/indian-mynas-not-just-an-urban-problem/

18 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

They have been called "rats of the skies" in Australia, due to their impact on the native bird population.

Perhaps they are affected by air pollution too.

https://landcare.nsw.gov.au/groups/northern-slopes-landcare/indian-mynas-not-just-an-urban-problem/

Such an intelligent bird, though.

One cannot help but love them.

I am missing them, over here.

I love them.

Note:  These birds have quite sophisticated ability to communicate with their own kind, such as to warn of danger, in a specific way, and I have seen them attack green and brown snakes much larger than they....

I really love these birds.

Edited by GammaGlobulin
  • Sad 1

11 minutes ago, ezzra said:

Don't you just love those guys who can't sleep and run to the phone/laptop to pen whatever BS going through their minds

at that very moment? this morning already he has a post about him having a dream and now this, and it's

only 6 am...

One of the greatest pleasures of life in Thailand is our exposure to birdsong.

It is rare, especially in New England, to be able to enjoy birdsong in the mornings, especially during the months of January and February.

Here where I am, the birds are especially noisy.

I am grateful.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, GammaGlobulin said:

Yes or no....

Where have they gone?

Hope it's not so.

Come back, I say!

Regards,

Gamma

I get flocks of them fly  over the land at head  height  around 6-7am everyday......so no   still many about, but best I ever saw was a  group of 6  Hornbills  fly over, only ever  seen them once  very low easily identifiable, had   Peacock a  few  months back appear otuside my garage. 

There's a bird in Thailand that calls out "por lao" (English: Enough already). I sometimes wonder if it is a female bird who has had enough of male importunings.

Mynas are very ordinary, can they dance like this?

• Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, GammaGlobulin said:

Yes or no....

Where have they gone?

Hope it's not so.

Come back, I say!

Regards,

Gamma

For me it's a minor problem. Pigeons and squirrels are a major problem. The squirrels are decimating my Jackfruit, mangoes and bananas. I have given up and let them enjoy themselves. Life's too short. There are more important things to worry about.    

I agree with the OP. Not only fewer mynahs, but fewer birds altogether, other than pigeons. Not only that, but here in the south of Prachuap KhiriKhan there are so few insects. 40 years ago, we used to have to scrape them off the windscreen, but I can't remember the last time I did that. For the past year, I haven't even had to use my mosquito spray.

I also like them, and their interesting noises and behaviors, however, they are not originally native to Thailand, so good riddance if they are actually decreasing.  As mentioned above, a huge problem in Australia.  Still see many of them where I work in Rayong, I've been working here more than 10 years and have noticed no reduction in population.

Thailand National Parks - Common Myna

My favorite intelligent bird in Thailand is the Hill Myna, or 'Nok Kunthong' in Thai.  They are more rare than the Common Myna.  In Paknam Pranburi, at this restaurant, there is a cage of them near the kitchen and upper restrooms, right next to where everyone parks their motocys.  One of them can make the sound of a Honda Click 125cc engine start, literally perfectly.  Difficult to tell the difference other than it's slightly quieter.  Fascinating!   Here is one speaking Thai language in a video.   My girlfriend had one as a pet when she was growing up.  They are incredibly intelligent even beyond speaking apparently, like ability to escape from cages, etc.

(edit:  original video didn't work)

Edited by n8sail
  • Sad 1

7 hours ago, GammaGlobulin said:
7 hours ago, ezzra said:

Don't you just love those guys who can't sleep and run to the phone/laptop to pen whatever BS going through their minds

at that very moment? this morning already he has a post about him having a dream and now this, and it's

only 6 am...

One of the greatest pleasures of life in Thailand is our exposure to birdsong.

It is rare, especially in New England, to be able to enjoy birdsong in the mornings, especially during the months of January and February.

Here where I am, the birds are especially noisy.

I am grateful.

I expect many of us would be grateful for less "noise" from you on many trite ,vacuous subjects.

• Agree 1

8 hours ago, Mutt Daeng said:

There are loads of them where I live in Buriram.

There are loads in my yard near Udon Thani. There are a million of them that congregate on the powerlines near Tesco Ban Hansa every night.

Sh#tloads of them around here in Kanchanaburi.  

You need to get out a bit more....

No.    on second thoughts ....   stay where you are please

More than a few here / PKK, and one of the dominant species, along with it's cousins:

Vinous-breasted Myna Acridotheres leucocephalus

image.png.c8ff7fd3fb0af015d6e0f08acaaf47b0.png

Greater Myna Acridotheres grandis

image.png.103d7602606ebdbd6c517d24bb4c45c6.png

Only have seen the Jungle Myna Acridotheres fuscus once, @ Phatthalung

image.png.a6a262b38905d5f2347276d53cc27f37.png

Photo credits: Me

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Mike Lister said:

My dad were a myna, he were down t'pit, outside Barnsley for over 30 years.

Was he breathing heavy after 30 years? Did he ignore the canaries? Tis a long time that! Should have read the book, "Coming Up For Air", George Orwell!

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/9/2024 at 6:21 AM, GammaGlobulin said:

Such an intelligent bird, though.

One cannot help but love them.

I am missing them, over here.

I love them.

Note:  These birds have quite sophisticated ability to communicate with their own kind, such as to warn of danger, in a specific way, and I have seen them attack green and brown snakes much larger than they....

I really love these birds.

At dusk, there are hundreds roosting on the telegraph wires along the Petchkasem Road in Hua Hin from the Municipal Building for half a km going north.