Niall Harbison and Soi Dog Foundation join forces to help stray dogs

snoop1130

On 2/9/2024 at 6:11 PM, snoop1130 said:

Together, the teams have the capacity to reach 90- 100 street dogs a day – or over 20,000 a year

100 dogs a day is over 10,000, 20,000, 30,000 or even 35,000

A pi55 in the ocean. 

Edited by KannikaP
  • Thanks 1

On 2/9/2024 at 6:11 PM, snoop1130 said:

In the first day of operation, 47 dogs underwent spay/neuter surgery and received life-saving vaccinations against diseases including rabies, distemper and parvovirus.

And then were set free to s4it on the streets, bark at night and bonk the available bitches.

On 2/10/2024 at 11:49 AM, garygooner said:

You don't see that many stray dogs in my area of Bangkok these days, but cats, that's a different story. They're all over the place with some kind people feeding them daily. 

I'll take cats any day over evil soi dogs 555, no really.

• Like 1

On 2/9/2024 at 11:17 AM, stoner said:

just put them all down properly and as painless as possible. otherwise you are fighting an endless battle. 

Suggesting culling indicated you don't understand the problem - culling doesn't work. In fact it just starts and endless battle itself.

Edited by kwilco

1 hour ago, Des1 said:

I'll take cats any day over evil soi dogs 555, no really.

The reason there are more cats visible is that since 2003 the  Soi Dog has spayed/neutered and vaccinated tens of thousands of stray dogs and cats throughout Thailand, and, in 2023, surpassed the milestone of one million animals neutered 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, kwilco said:

Suggesting culling indicated you don't understand the problem - culling doesn't work. In fact it just starts and endless battle itself.

ok you believe what you may. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, KannikaP said:

100 dogs a day is over 10,000, 20,000, 30,000 or even 35,000

A pi55 in the ocean. 

In total, there are estimated to be as many as 8.5 million roaming dogs  in Thailand. In BKK it is estimated to be between 100k and 300k

Culling doesn’t work CNVR does (Catch Neuter Vaccinate and Return). This approach is the only proven, sustainable and humane method of reducing the stray animal population.

In BKK the SDF has CNVR’d over half-a-million animals. Over the last 20 years they have treated over a million animals.

Although some people have noticed the difference in Bangkok, many people are not aware of this.

The only way a stray dog population can survive is if there is food and somewhere to breed – the lamentable refuse collection and disposal infrastructure is largely to blame and the idea of making merit by feeding stray dogs doesn’t help….as well as the abundance of derelict urban sites.

A fully sterile population and limited food will eventually reduce the population size, Most studies suggest that 70% neutered is generally needed for a sustained population decline. This would vary according to circumstances. A similar figures apply to vaccination and the spread of rabies and other zoonotic diseases

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Doctor Tom said:

They have as much right to a life as you do mate, maybe more in your case. Human arrogance towards these animals just pxxxes me off. Thankfully, there are many kind people in Thailand, Thai and Farang,  who feed the soi dogs and try to give them some reasonable quality of life,  me included.

By that logic all the sheep, cows, pigs and fish that you scoff down have as much right to live as you do, mate. People who eat animals are not animal lovers and there is no difference between livestock and pets, they are all animals

• Confused 1
  • Agree 1

25 minutes ago, kwilco said:

In total, there are estimated to be as many as 8.5 million roaming dogs  in Thailand. In BKK it is estimated to be between 100k and 300k

Culling doesn’t work CNVR does (Catch Neuter Vaccinate and Return). This approach is the only proven, sustainable and humane method of reducing the stray animal population.

In BKK the SDF has CNVR’d over half-a-million animals. Over the last 20 years they have treated over a million animals.

Although some people have noticed the difference in Bangkok, many people are not aware of this.

The only way a stray dog population can survive is if there is food and somewhere to breed – the lamentable refuse collection and disposal infrastructure is largely to blame and the idea of making merit by feeding stray dogs doesn’t help….as well as the abundance of derelict urban sites.

A fully sterile population and limited food will eventually reduce the population size, Most studies suggest that 70% neutered is generally needed for a sustained population decline. This would vary according to circumstances. A similar figures apply to vaccination and the spread of rabies and other zoonotic diseases

Culling does work, you just have to kill enough, neutering only is far more ineffective as the Soi Dog Foundation proves 

38 minutes ago, proton said:

Culling does work, you just have to kill enough, neutering only is far more ineffective as the Soi Dog Foundation proves 

What you say contradicts all the evidence

The only place any kind of cull works is on small islands. The only possibility with dogs would be with extremely low dog populations.

With Thailand and Bangkok this is not possible.

Firstly there are practical considerations -  take BKK - how would you kill the dogs? and where you put 300,000 dog corpses? (please don’t suggest poisoning) – You would also have to take on all the Buddhists in Thailand

But the main reason is no cull can be 100% efficient - all that happens is the "gaps" created by a load of dead dogs. “Removing” these stray dogs creates a void in the local ecosystem, which is quickly filled by remaining dogs reproducing or new dogs entering the area from outside. Dogs  can breed at a prodigious rate. By moving into the area, these new dogs actually accelerate the spread of diseases like rabies

So the result of a cull is ineffective..... within weeks the situation the situation gets back to how it was.

Despite what you seem to thing sustainable methods like Catch-Neuter-Vaccinate-Return (CNVR) programs actually work and are working in Phuket and Bangkok. They may appear slow but they are EFFECTIVE and reduce the risk of zoonotic diseases

In fact I doubt if you could find a single example of a successful dog cull anywhere in the world

Edited by kwilco
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

12 hours ago, proton said:

By that logic all the sheep, cows, pigs and fish that you scoff down have as much right to live as you do, mate. People who eat animals are not animal lovers and there is no difference between livestock and pets, they are all animals

Whether you are a believer in God or not, some animals were put here for our consumption, and some for our companionship and to help us. I hunt and love animals, but you might not be able to understand that. Deer especially, left to breed and not harvested, over populate and cause many problems, one of which is vehicle accidents which kill about 200 people a year in the US alone, and another is that they attack and kill 5-6 people a year. People are the main cause of this, as over developing of woods areas deprives deer of their natural habitat, letting them encroach on neighborhoods, causing said problems more. In a perfect world, people would stop population growth, thus enabling the deer and other animals to have enough land to survive. This does not stop them from breeding, which means more habitat is needed. Habitat which is disappearing daily by the hundreds of acres. Nothing will ever be done to stop people from eating fish and animals, so it's better to accept this, as there isn't anything you can do to change this. Like I said, certain animals are here for us to eat. Some eat domestic animals, and that's wrong, but certain cultures do things that aren't normal behavior, and it isn't easy to change this. because money talks.

• Confused 1

11 hours ago, kwilco said:

What you say contradicts all the evidence

The only place any kind of cull works is on small islands. The only possibility with dogs would be with extremely low dog populations.

With Thailand and Bangkok this is not possible.

Firstly there are practical considerations -  take BKK - how would you kill the dogs? and where you put 300,000 dog corpses? (please don’t suggest poisoning) – You would also have to take on all the Buddhists in Thailand

But the main reason is no cull can be 100% efficient - all that happens is the "gaps" created by a load of dead dogs. “Removing” these stray dogs creates a void in the local ecosystem, which is quickly filled by remaining dogs reproducing or new dogs entering the area from outside. Dogs  can breed at a prodigious rate. By moving into the area, these new dogs actually accelerate the spread of diseases like rabies

So the result of a cull is ineffective..... within weeks the situation the situation gets back to how it was.

Despite what you seem to thing sustainable methods like Catch-Neuter-Vaccinate-Return (CNVR) programs actually work and are working in Phuket and Bangkok. They may appear slow but they are EFFECTIVE and reduce the risk of zoonotic diseases

In fact I doubt if you could find a single example of a successful dog cull anywhere in the world

Right said. All I would like to see is this program funded by the government so it could be carried on in a bigger level, especially out here in Isaan.

5 hours ago, JonnyF said:

Niall does great work, a truly kind human being. Well done sir. 

He's a misguided fool, you can bet he thinks he's a meat eating 'animal lover' like so many other hypocrite's. The only good soi dog is a dead one, alive and neutered they are still pests, if dead they are not and no need to neuter anyway.

• Sad 2
  • Agree 1

5 hours ago, fredwiggy said:

Right said. All I would like to see is this program funded by the government so it could be carried on in a bigger level, especially out here in Isaan.

SDF do get funding from other sources and I believe the BMA have chipped in.

SDF intend to have 10 full time mobile units operating in Bkk.

6 minutes ago, kwilco said:

SDF do get funding from other sources and I believe the BMA have chipped in.

SDF intend to have 10 full time mobile units operating in Bkk.

Yes, snipping a few while far more are being born, peeing in the wind.

19 hours ago, kwilco said:

Me again. I Googled the meaning of CULLING = reduction of wild animal population by selective slaughter.

It would certainly work on Soi dogs. How would it  'start an endless battle'

CNVR does not stop them defecating on the pavements, attacking people or barking all night. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1