Niall Harbison and Soi Dog Foundation join forces to help stray dogs

snoop1130

On 2/14/2024 at 5:06 PM, proton said:

By definition meat eaters cannot be animal lovers, getting all soppy over rancid soi dog vermin when you are scoffing down other dead mammals is the height of hypocrisy. I have nothing against meat eaters, it's just a pity they are not eating dogs as well, it would be a real help.

That's your opinion and it happens to be a false one, as the millions of hunters who also own dogs and cats can testify. You cannot understand this and that's okay. Dogs aren't here to be food but companions and helpers. It's the people here who are allowing them to breed, because they like them when they are puppies but can't tolerate them when they get older.

On 2/12/2024 at 5:51 PM, KannikaP said:

Me again. I Googled the meaning of CULLING = reduction of wild animal population by selective slaughter.

It would certainly work on Soi dogs. How would it  'start an endless battle'

CNVR does not stop them defecating on the pavements, attacking people or barking all night. 

On 2/11/2024 at 11:35 PM, kwilco said:

What you say contradicts all the evidence

The only place any kind of cull works is on small islands. The only possibility with dogs would be with extremely low dog populations.

With Thailand and Bangkok this is not possible.

Firstly there are practical considerations -  take BKK - how would you kill the dogs? and where you put 300,000 dog corpses? (please don’t suggest poisoning) – You would also have to take on all the Buddhists in Thailand

But the main reason is no cull can be 100% efficient - all that happens is the "gaps" created by a load of dead dogs. “Removing” these stray dogs creates a void in the local ecosystem, which is quickly filled by remaining dogs reproducing or new dogs entering the area from outside. Dogs  can breed at a prodigious rate. By moving into the area, these new dogs actually accelerate the spread of diseases like rabies

So the result of a cull is ineffective..... within weeks the situation the situation gets back to how it was.

Despite what you seem to thing sustainable methods like Catch-Neuter-Vaccinate-Return (CNVR) programs actually work and are working in Phuket and Bangkok. They may appear slow but they are EFFECTIVE and reduce the risk of zoonotic diseases

In fact I doubt if you could find a single example of a successful dog cull anywhere in the world

Culling

Would not work in Thailand even on a small island.

Within a few weeks somebody dumps their pets at a temple. Problems starts again. 

1 minute ago, Captain Monday said:

Culling

Within a few weeks somebody dumps their pets at a temple. Problems starts again. 

So continue the culling, including the dumpers!

4 hours ago, Captain Monday said:

Culling

As I mentioned earlier on Phuket, the largest island in Thailand the SDF using CNVR, has effectively eliminated rabies but the threat still exists via the importation of dogs to market to be sold as pets..

In some countries small (usually uninhabited) islands have have had invasive species such as rats eliminated, but they then have to be constantly vigilant to make sure they don't return....usually via humans.

This is still in effect a form of the vacuum effect.

It is also why sterilisation and vaccination are so important as ot prevents the vacuum effect and thrn reduces breeding.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

On 2/13/2024 at 2:15 AM, Doctor Tom said:

I don't care about your view on it mate. You are twisted and biased about this subject, so best to ignore you. 

It is rhe hallmark of someone with no argument that they resort to baseless ad hom. It reflects more on yourself than anything else

19 hours ago, fredwiggy said:

And dogs and cats aren't meant to be eaten, but as pets and sometimes as rescue and support animals.

Where is this written, in one of the holy books? 

Try a Chinese market, many a pet like critter on sale there. 

33 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

Where is this written, in one of the holy books? 

Try a Chinese market, many a pet like critter on sale there. 

I guess you haven't noticed as an adult , that this world is filled with unstable, disturbed, narcissistic sadistic people that haven't a place in society and are the cause of most of life's problems. Although all people have somewhat of a dark side, many lean more towards that side, or are fully there. They are called anti social people, and they don't belong with those that are good hearted.

4 minutes ago, fredwiggy said:

I guess you haven't noticed as an adult , that this world is filled with unstable, disturbed, narcissistic sadistic people that haven't a place in society and are the cause of most of life's problems. Although all people have somewhat of a dark side, many lean more towards that side, or are fully there. They are called anti social people, and they don't belong with those that are good hearted.

Sorry, I thought we were talking of dogs and your love of murdering deer!

18 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

Sorry, I thought we were talking of dogs and your love of murdering deer!

We are, and your bias towards ignorance is growing. If you're not a meat eater, I understand your inability to understand why meat providing animals are here, and the difference between them and domestic. If it's just a choice that you don't like eating meat, I understand that too, but to call people who hunt deer murderers, also includes those that eat chicken, fish, pigs, cows, buffalo and other hoofed animals, and that includes almost 80% of the people on earth, is ludicrous.

Edited by fredwiggy
  • Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, Skipalongcassidy said:

Sounds a lot like the current parenting problem in the world today...

Especially here. Kids are put into school s soon as possible and the school becomes the daycare center until schools out, then it's home on phones until dinner. Then sleep and repeat 5 times a week. Happens worldwide but here kids aren't as special as they are in other countries. Boys are held in high regard and are spoiled, growing up like their dads, looking at women as secondary and the boys take on that thinking. Girls are secondary slaves to men, and it's one reason, besides possibly more money, they choose farangs for a hope at a better life. Only problem is that some farangs treat women the same way, putting their needs, sports on TV, and friends in front of their wives needs. If the courts here would make the boys responsible for the children they make, they might think twice before leaving so quickly and "mating" with other girls, repeating the process.

4 minutes ago, fredwiggy said:

Especially here. Kids are put into school s soon as possible and the school becomes the daycare center until schools out, then it's home on phones until dinner. Then sleep and repeat 5 times a week. Happens worldwide but here kids aren't as special as they are in other countries. Boys are held in high regard and are spoiled, growing up like their dads, looking at women as secondary and the boys take on that thinking. Girls are secondary slaves to men, and it's one reason, besides possibly more money, they choose farangs for a hope at a better life. Only problem is that some farangs treat women the same way, putting their needs, sports on TV, and friends in front of their wives needs. If the courts here would make the boys responsible for the children they make, they might think twice before leaving so quickly and "mating" with other girls, repeating the process.

While what you say is true... it is not just Thailand... U.S. has world’s highest rate of children living in single-parent households

2 minutes ago, Skipalongcassidy said:

While what you say is true... it is not just Thailand... U.S. has world’s highest rate of children living in single-parent households

That might be true, but there the men, and sometimes women, are held responsible through child support. Thailand leads the world with children raised by grandparents, at least 35% and rising. No other country comes close. And in the US, men see their children more, and take part more in raising the children. Deadbeat dads are worldwide, but again, here they are allowed to get away with it.