Less than 5% pay rise for Thai employees this year

snoop1130

Screenshot-2024-02-09-144942.jpg

According to Aon Plc’s latest survey, Thai employees are set to experience a modest 4.9% pay rise this year, trailing behind their regional counterparts.

The forecast anticipates a slight uptick from 4.7% last year but still falls short of the salary growth expected in Indonesia (6.5%), the Philippines (5.5%), and Malaysia (5%). Meanwhile, Singapore is projected to witness a 4% increase in wages.

In contrast, Vietnamese workers are in for a pleasant surprise, with a projected salary rise of a whopping 8% this year, up from 7.5% in 2023 according to the survey.

Aeon attributed the modest growth in Thai workers’ pay to the slowdown and uncertainty in the country’s economy. Rahul Chawla, Aeon’s head of Talent Solutions for Southeast Asia, highlighted the challenge many businesses face in adjusting employee salaries to remain competitive. He suggested that maintaining a flexible workforce structure is crucial for success.

By Mitch Connor

Caption: Photo courtesy of iStock

Full story: The Thaiger 2024-02-09

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

Join us now!

• Haha 1

Considering that the inflation is, reportedly, "very low like one percent, or so", 4.9 percent doesn't seem so bad. On the other hand, of course, with "unemployment below 2 percent", you'd think that there's more pressure to raise employees' pay...

Edited by StayinThailand2much
  • Like 2

1 %  the Governments figures .....in the real World it's much higher ,especially the

stuff I buy , most people here still work a 6 day week , when I first started work 

it was 5,5 day week and that was 60 odd years ago , my daughter got a new job

only 5 day week ,good I thought , but it's 10 hour day ,too much overtime but 

unpaid !

regards worgeordie

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, worgeordie said:

1 %  the Governments figures .....in the real World it's much higher ,especially the

stuff I buy , most people here still work a 6 day week , when I first started work 

it was 5,5 day week and that was 60 odd years ago , my daughter got a new job

only 5 day week ,good I thought , but it's 10 hour day ,too much overtime but 

unpaid !

regards worgeordie

You are right , farang food has rocketed.

Edited by retarius

12 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

Aeon attributed the modest growth in Thai workers’ pay to the slowdown and uncertainty in the country’s economy.

Thailand is going to have a bumpy ride this year.

It's economy needs real investment, industry leaders need to re-vamp their business structures, tourism isn't enough to save Thailand.

16 hours ago, StayinThailand2much said:

Considering that the inflation is, reportedly, "very low like one percent, or so", 4.9 percent doesn't seem so bad. On the other hand, of course, with "unemployment below 2 percent", you'd think that there's more pressure to raise employees' pay...

Are you really buying those inflation numbers? I see things going up quite a bit, nothing like back in the US but still I'm guessing the real inflation here has to be at least 10%. 

4 hours ago, Srikcir said:

For some time now the rate of inflation has been 2.5%. So a less than 5% pay rise doesn't seem extraordinary.

Indeed, salary increase inflation has been running well above underlying inflation and reasonably above GDP growth for pretty much the last 20 years. If you read the annual reports such as the one in the OP it’s typically around 5-7% increase per year. Even during COVID 6-8-10% pay rises were being given.

Perhaps more reflective of a limited talent/resource pool, worsening demographics and high competition for people in the job market than anything else ?

On 2/10/2024 at 11:22 AM, spidermike007 said:

Are you really buying those inflation numbers? I see things going up quite a bit, nothing like back in the US but still I'm guessing the real inflation here has to be at least 10%. 

PM Thavisin apparently "buys" them, in effect apologizing for giving the public the impression that he questioned the legitimacy of the published rates. Perhaps that's why Thavisin is now calling for only a 25 basis-point rate cut that would help people (debatable) that would not raise inflation further.