Has The World Gone Mad?

1 hour ago, MangoKorat said:

How long before paedophilic behaviour is considered acceptable and those who practice it, who don't consider it as wrong are able to display their behaviour publicly?  When does something become acceptable and who decides what is and what is not?  You may think I'm being extreme but watch this space - if this 'wokeness' is not brought to an end - it will become never ending and a free for all.

It used to be that we had a 'norm' - that seems to have gone.  Transgender and Gay people were very unfairly discriminated against and in general I support moves to change that but not when that changes the 'norm'. 

There is a set of values and behaviours that are/were seen as acceptable and by which we have lived our lives.  Granting well deserved rights to Gay and Trans people does not have to change those norms but we are now being asked, nay told, to disregard our norms.

I'm not about to open the whole debate again but I strongly believe in the 'norm' and that includes the right not to be confronted by abnormal behaviour that I find offensive.

Why are you obsessed with this issue? All over an app. I saw two guys in a restaurant dating trans. I didn't complain. Would you? Literally who cares.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, MangoKorat said:

When does something become acceptable and who decides what is and what is not? 

The decider is the person who owns the app. I mean, duh.

Worrying about pedophiles in the abstract -a lot- that's just straight up neurosis.

If you see any pedophilia going on, do you promise to intercede and break it up?

Me, no. The odds of me seeing pedophilia going on are zero. I think you have to go to a Cambodian slum and then get lucky.

Whereas for you, it's an ongoing problem. Thanks for keeping on top of things.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, uttradit said:

Well it is Thailand. 10% of guys are ladyboys.

Actually it's estimated to be between 10,000 to 300,000. *  Even at the highest estimate that's less than 0.5%.

* Asia-Pacific Transgender Network

Edited by Baht Simpson
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Baht Simpson said:

Actually it's estimated to be between 10,000 to 300,000. *  Even at the highest esimate that's less than 0.5%.

* Asia-Pacific Transgender Network

You believe those estimates? 10,000 and 300,000 is a wide variance which means they have no idea. Be at least 1m now.

• Sad 1
  • Agree 1

33 minutes ago, uttradit said:

Why are you obsessed with this issue? All over an app. I saw two guys in a restaurant dating trans. I didn't complain. Would you? Literally who cares.

Yes, the OP is making the same mistake he made in the previous thread. Not realising that the problem is his and not everyone elses.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, uttradit said:

About 33m males, 10% is 3.3m.

Well, if you take the high end figure and don't include female to male transgender then yes but still a wild over-estimate. Even your 1m is probably too high, certainly not 10m/.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, MangoKorat said:

You're missing the point - this is not about me using a dating site, that is just what sets the context.  We all have likes and dislikes - take the example I wrote about blondes and brunettes.  How long before you're not allowed to state any sort of preference at all?

well, a dating site is media owned by someone who makes the rules for their site.

just like there are some things you cant say on AN. 

11 hours ago, MangoKorat said:

There was a recent thread on AN regarding being exposed to gay behaviour on TV programmes etc.  I was strongly criticised by a couple of members on that thread for stating that I don't want to see such behaviour - it honestly makes me feel physically sick.  I was accused of being a 'Gay Hater' which is ridiculous, I don't hate Gay people in any way, shape of form. I believe that Gay people have the same rights in life as anyone does and I would defend that to the death. I was simply answering the question posed by the thread and stating my preference.

Ten days ago after a brief 'holiday' from the site, I re-joined a popular dating app and paid for their 'Gold' subscription - thankfully only for one month.  As usual I received several 'likes' each day with some coming from Ladyboys - some of whom do not state their sexual orientation in their initial contact. I have no interest in dating a ladyboy and so to try and reduce the amount of contact from them. I wrote 'No Trans' in a list of preferences my profile. I also get regular 'matches' on the site from 'girls' who's real intention is to try and sell me Crypto Currency - so I also include 'No Crypto' in my profile. I have no interest in hearing from either.

Today my account has been banned from the app for 'hate speech' - I presume because of the 'No Trans' statement, they don't say.  Just banned me and no offer to refund the fee for Gold membership. An appeal is allowed but strangely the site does not offer the facility for someone to state why they are appealing - there is just a button to click that says 'appeal'. Maybe I'm wrong, maybe I've offended Crypto Currency - in this screwed up world, who knows?

So I ask you, what is the world coming to - has this PC sentiment gone too far? It has in my opinion - way too far. How is simply stating a group that you do not want to hear from 'hate'?  How long will it be before Gay and Trans people are allowed to take someone to court for refusing to date them?  Will that be classed as 'discrimination'? Will we all be required to date a 'Trans' person if they wish to date us? 

IMHO, there is something very wrong with today's world.  Genuine hate speech should not in any way be tolerated and should be treated in the same way as racial discrimination.  On that subject, I have no particular preference on the skin colour of the girls I date but if I did, would I not be allowed to state so? I clearly state in my profile that I am straight, surely a person who makes such a statement is within their rights? If I had stated 'NO Pervy Trans/Queers' in my profile, that would be hate speech. But when did simpy stating your preferences become wrong? Careful in stating that you like blondes lads, the brunettes will be sueing you!

If we, and by we, I include moderate Straight, Gay and Trans people, don't make a stand on this and 'nip it in the bud' - I can see a time, not so far away where simply stating you are 'straight' will be classed as discriminatory - think about it. 

I'll be completely clear on this - there are moves afoot - maybe even already in existence in some countries where Trans people are able to alter their birth certificate. This is just as opinion and I believe we all have a right to one but I believe that for example, having an operation, taking hormones etc. etc. does not alter the gender of a person. I can never see, for example, a day when a male to female Trans will be able to have a baby and breastfeed it.  All the operations ect. do is to alter the sexual orientation of that person and give them the physical appearance of a female.

Now, there are those amongst you that are attracted to Ladyboys and that is fine for you but in itself that is a distinction - they are attracted to the fact that Ladyboys are transgender and many specifically visit Thailand in order to meet them.  How long before such people also come under fire for only being attracted to a person BECAUSE they are Trans. Will that also be discriminatory?  Will Ladyboys start complaining, 'You don't like me because I'm a woman, you only like me because I am Trans'?

The way things are going, if we are 'straight' we will all be compelled to offer relationships to any person who presents themselves to us, regardless of their actual gender.  Taking it to the extremes, will you have to date a fat person or someone you consider ugly , even if you do not find them attractive in the slightest? If you refuse, will that be classed as 'hate'? Is it discrimination?

Will each one of us soon lose the right to choose the factual gender of our long term or sexual partners? Lose the right to choose what attracts us and what doesn't?

In all honesty, I'm glad I'm the age I am because as far as I'm concerned, the world has gone mad.  We've gone from giving gay and transgender people equal rights in law - to which they are very much entitled, to utter madness.  There are websites and other places I believe, where you are not allowed to call someone 'he' or she' its 'they or 'them' - you must refer to them not as what they actually are, but as per how they 'identify'.

What the hell is going on and where will it end?

(Purely as a footnote - to the 2 or 3 people that jumped on me on the other thread - I have honestly placed you on ignore so you are wasting your time replying directly to me, all I am able to see is that you have posted - up to you, I care not.)

I stopped reading after "There". 

2 hours ago, uttradit said:

Let me answer you with a question - why do use attention grabbing descriptions?  Obsessed? Hardly.

What I am concerned with is the way things are going generally and what is and what is not acceptable.  Just like in some countries men, and some women for that matter, are starting to complain that feminism has gone too far - the situation with the interaction between Gays and Trans & the rest of the population has got out of hand. All this they/them stuff is just rubbish.

The dating app in question is widely used and freely available without qualification for membership, it is therefore a public platform.  It is perfectly OK for it to have rules and regulations - in fact that is a necessity but they need to be within reason.  What I object to is not being able to simply say 'No Trans' as if that's some kind of slur.  Its not nasty or directly aimed at degrading Trans people.  It was stated on my space on the app - a space which I paid for. 

To ban me and call what I wrote 'Hate Speech' is well over the top and that is the crux of the problem.  I did not want any further Ladyboys to contact me so I stated my preference in a mild and benign way.  I doubt that many Trans people would be offended by that.  I've seen many Thai girls on the App state 'No Thai's' or 'No Foreigners' that's fair enough and if I saw one that said 'No Foreigners' I would respect the girl's wishes and not contact her - not a problem.  Judging by the amount of girls that make such statements on the App, that is OK with the site's owners, how can that be? Are we now discriminating against normality?  I don't read such stuff and think of its as racist, I simply think "that girl isn't interested in foreigners so I won't try to contact her".  Now if she said 'No dirty farangs' - yes I'd find that offensive and that's the difference. In my eyes simply saying 'No Trans' is nothing like or even resembling 'Hate Speech.

To your point on gays in a restaurant, I see nothing wrong with that and have almost certainly have been in a restaurant where Gays have been dating.  I have a friend who's into Ladyboys and sometimes brings them to a bar that I also visit - I don't have any problem with that. If they started engaging in any sexual activity, yes I'd be disgusted - its against my nature and I'd take a bet that most 'straight' men would either complain, move away or leave. I don't get your point but I'd state that I'm not really comfortable with 'straight' people engaging in intimate activity publicly either.

Where does this end?  What is and is not the 'norm' in terms of acceptance - we used to have that but the bar is constantly being raised. Soon we will all be scared to pass any comment in public.

Edited by MangoKorat
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, save the frogs said:

well, a dating site is media owned by someone who makes the rules for their site.

just like there are some things you cant say on AN. 

The question is - how reasonable such a policy is and whether or not it is right to deem 'No Trans' as 'Hate Speech'.

As the site is freely open to anyone who can establish an identity, they are covered by rules, they cannot just make unreasonable rules up - no public flatform can and if they do, they can be held to account. They cannot hide behind their small print - that has been tested in the courts thousands of times. Courts accept that such 'rules and regulations' are so boring that nobody reads them.

If I actually said something hateful on a public platform, I could be prosecuted for that. However, I doubt even the best lawyers would be able to successfully assert that 'No Trans' is hateful.

Edited by MangoKorat

29 minutes ago, MangoKorat said:

Let me answer you with a question - why do use attention grabbing descriptions?  Obsessed? Hardly.

What I am concerned with is the way things are going generally and what is and what is not acceptable.  Just like in some countries men, and some women for that matter, are starting to complain that feminism has gone too far - the situation with the interaction between Gays and Trans & the rest of the population has got out of hand. All this they/them stuff is just rubbish.

The dating app in question is widely used and freely available without qualification for membership, it is therefore a public platform.  It is perfectly OK for it to have rules and regulations - in fact that is a necessity but they need to be within reason.  What I object to is not being able to simply say 'No Trans' as if that's some kind of slur.  Its not nasty or directly aimed at degrading Trans people.  It was stated on my space on the app - a space which I paid for. 

To ban me and call what I wrote 'Hate Speech' is well over the top and that is the crux of the problem.  I did not want any further Ladyboys to contact me so I stated my preference in a mild and benign way.  I doubt that many Trans people would be offended by that.  I've seen many Thai girls on the App state 'No Thai's' or 'No Foreigners' that's fair enough and if I saw one that said 'No Foreigners' I would respect the girl's wishes and not contact her - not a problem.  Judging by the amount of girls that make such statements on the App, that is OK with the site's owners, how can that be? Are we now discriminating against normality?  I don't read such stuff and think of its as racist, I simply think "that girl isn't interested in foreigners so I won't try to contact her".  Now if she said 'No dirty farangs' - yes I'd find that offensive and that's the difference. In my eyes simply saying 'No Trans' is nothing like or even resembling 'Hate Speech.

To your point on gays in a restaurant, I see nothing wrong with that and have almost certainly have been in a restaurant where Gays have been dating.  I have a friend who's into Ladyboys and sometimes brings them to a bar that I also visit - I don't have any problem with that. If they started engaging in any sexual activity, yes I'd be disgusted - its against my nature and I'd take a bet that most 'straight' men would either complain, move away or leave. I don't get your point but I'd state that I'm not really comfortable with 'straight' people engaging in intimate activity publicly either.

Where does this end?  What is and is not the 'norm' in terms of acceptance - we used to have that but the bar is constantly being raised. Soon we will all be scared to pass any comment in public.

Hard to say where it ends. Maybe it doesn't end. I don't really care.

• Haha 1

59 minutes ago, MangoKorat said:

The question is - how reasonable such a policy is and whether or not it is right to deem 'No Trans' as 'Hate Speech'.

As the site is freely open to anyone who can establish an identity, they are covered by rules, they cannot just make unreasonable rules up - no public flatform can and if they do, they can be held to account. They cannot hide behind their small print - that has been tested in the courts thousands of times. Courts accept that such 'rules and regulations' are so boring that nobody reads them.

If I actually said something hateful on a public platform, I could be prosecuted for that. However, I doubt even the best lawyers would be able to successfully assert that 'No Trans' is hateful.

This kinda reminds me of my ex wife’s job

interview at a housing project back in the late 70s .

One question was how do you feel about race relations to which she replied , I have nothing against colored people.

She didn’t , but her answer wasn’t politically correct.

Another words I agree with you Op

Edited by riclag

39 minutes ago, riclag said:

OP, If you had to choose one 

which would it be ?

1. No Trans please

2. Girls only please

Either would be fine by me. I cannot see and don't believe that a Trans person would be offended by my statement.  I would not take offence if a member stated 'Trans only'.

I read that a lesbian woman was thrown out of her lesbian club because she didn't want to have any men in that club with a penis who self-identify as a woman.

That's the stupid modern woke world.

JK Rowling is a great example for a person with reasonable views who was/is cancelled by the crazy woke mob.

We need more people who stand up against those idiots. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

We need more people who stand up against those idiots

Precisely! Most people I know are anti 'woke' but say nothing.  The problem with that is that saying and doing nothing is probably why we are where we are with this today.  If anyone tells me I cannot address them in a gender specific way or that stating 'No Trans' on a dating App is hateful for example - they can take a running jump.

Scaremongering it may seem but very soon, if not already, we are going to have to be very careful with our wording in everyday life - I'm not prepared to accept that.  The old norms remain as far as I'm concerned - of course some of those norms were unfair and a lot of that has been dealt with legally.  I think I'm grown up enough to know what's right and wrong.

At the moment I believe that anyone who tried to prosecute me for saying 'No Trans' on a dating App would be laughed out of court.  However, fast forward a few years when some of these Woke-ists become judges, what then?

Edited by MangoKorat
  • Thumbs Up 1

4 minutes ago, MangoKorat said:

Precisely! Most people I know are anti 'woke' but say nothing.  The problem with that is that saying and doing nothing is probably why we are where we are with this today.  If anyone tells me I cannot address them in a gender specific way or that stating 'No Trans' on a dating App is hateful for example - they can take a running jump.

Scaremongering it may seem but very soon, if not already, we are going to have to be very careful with our wording in everyday life - I'm not prepared to accept that.  The old norms remain as far as I'm concerned - of course some of those norms were unfair and a lot of that has been dealt with legally.  I think I'm grown up enough to know what's right and wrong.

At the moment I believe that anyone who tried to prosecute me for saying 'No Trans' would be laughed out of court.  However, fast forward a few years when some of these Woke-ists become judges, what then?

In my experience it's not so bad in Thailand.

But looking at the USA they definitely have more than enough woke idiots over there. 

In another article a girl wishes to identify as a cat and pupils telling her she is crazy are given a dressing down by their Teachers.

The controversy began when a student secretly recorded the discussion involving year 8 pupils at Rye college in East Sussex. In the excerpt posted to TikTok, a pupil describes the idea of another pupil identifying as a cow or cat as “crazy” and extends her remarks to include biological sex and gender as binary.

A teacher is heard telling the student that their views were “despicable”, threatening to report them to a senior colleague and saying: “If you don’t like it, you need to go to a different school.”

https://www.theguardian.com/education/2023/jun/23/child-identifying-as-cat-controversy-from-a-tiktok-video-to-media-frenzy

In another article on the same story, the school said a pupil was identifying as a cat and they were now having to deal with boys barking at her. 😁

But seriously, this is why I ask, where will it end?

Edited by MangoKorat
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, MangoKorat said:

Yeah, what are you going to do? Take them to court?

There's all sorts of unreasonable things going on ... the entire world hasn't gone mad, but there's a lot of stupid people making stupid rules.

Go find another dating app. 

The main problem is you are using dating sites. 

Old - fashioned flirting up girls in the real world is still the best. 

Edited by save the frogs

7 hours ago, MangoKorat said:

Yet again, you are missing the point.  I don't need to use that app to meet women but it did make things very easy.

The point is about what is and what is not 'Hate' and where this brand of thinking is taking us.  People like me are branded 'haters' for simply not wishing to see gay activity on mainstream TV or in movies. Now I can't even state that I have no interest in meeting Trans people. 

What I find odd is that the site in question accepts membership from Ladyboys who state their gender is a 'Woman' and their preference is 'Straight' - both of which they are not. But that is acceptable because in today's world a person can 'identify' as they wish and we are all supposed to respect that.

So, I identify as a horse - don't dare say I'm not!

Some people on this forum will brand you as a "hater" if you have the temerity to offer a different opinion to them, or even if you post something that they disagree with, as you can see by some of the responses you have already had.

6 hours ago, pedro01 said:

You have the right to look away. 

And so do you.

• Like 1

Today my account has been banned from the app for 'hate speech' - I presume because of the 'No Trans' statement, they don't say. ?

Your entire post is based on this assumption? (you presume?} Me thinks you may have wrote something else in a reply or message that got you banned

1 hour ago, StandardIssue said:

Today my account has been banned from the app for 'hate speech' - I presume because of the 'No Trans' statement, they don't say. ?

Your entire post is based on this assumption? (you presume?} Me thinks you may have wrote something else in a reply or message that got you banned

Well 'me thinks' is wrong. I have only 'matched' with one girl in days and I'm still very much in contact with her. Had there been anything else that could possibly be construed as 'hateful' I would be aware of that.

You need to understand how these dating Apps work - they are totally profit motivated and operate on the minimum of staff.  They rely on people 'reporting' other members to pick up on issues - they don't spend hours combing through people's profiles.  Hence the amount of hookers openly plying their trade on the App. 

When someone makes a report, a temporary ban is issued a staff member investigates and if they agree, a total ban is issued.  My location/search area is usually set to Bangkok + 40km. I recently returned to the UK and god knows why but last night I set my location to 'My Current Location' + 40km. Within an hour I had a temporary ban and shortly after that, a full ban.

I think this ban is because of that location change and the 'Woke' attitudes of the UK trans community or their supporters who almost certainly reported my profile.

In any case, as I've said to others, this is not about my activity on a dating App, this is about 'Woke-ism' in general and where its taking us.  I am merely using my experience on a dating App to provide an example of how ridiculous things have become.

Edited by MangoKorat
  • Like 1