MG 5 - any reviews?

We need to expand our household with a low- to mid priced sedan. I was thinking the Toyota Yaris or Honda City, but then a friend sent me a link to MG 5.

Spec wise it looks OK - however, I have no experience with this brand whatsoever. Any input would be helpful. Thanks 🙂

We have had a couple of MG's both electric.  The MG EP+ is basically an electric station wagon version of the MG5.

The MG5 petrol is a good car, but has terrible depreciation, all their petrol/hybrid cars do, their electric cars, not so much.

No warranty issues on either of them, both excellent cars.

• Thumbs Up 1

Plenty of reviews on Youtube as the MG5 has just arrived in Australia....I bought one here just over 12 months ago and really enjoying it and zero problems so far :thumbsup:

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

My daughter in-law has just bought one, the cheapest model. It has all the bell's and whistles, but for me the downside is the engine, basic 1500cc engine that the Chinese owners stick in everything. The more expensive models have a turbo, for the size of the car I think I would have gone for that.

Getting in and out of the back seat is a pain, and I am not tall.

• Confused 1

MG EP, EP+ or ES ( Electric only ) Thailand are named as MG5 in the Uk so ignore any UK reviews of MG5 unless you thinking about EV only

MG5 is sold in  Australia

MG5 2024 Review: ZERO STARS for safety in shock crash test conducted after filming

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=etpAKiFGGto

2023 MG5 review & 0-100: How bad can it be?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AoNdDukyklU

6 hours ago, transam said:

My daughter in-law has just bought one, the cheapest model. It has all the bell's and whistles, but for me the downside is the engine, basic 1500cc engine that the Chinese owners stick in everything. The more expensive models have a turbo, for the size of the car I think I would have gone for that.

Getting in and out of the back seat is a pain, and I am not tall.

I,m shocked that you could even contemplate getting in a Saic motor car trans never mind actually doing.....stay with your little Suzuki :cheesy:

19 minutes ago, petermik said:

I,m shocked that you could even contemplate getting in a Saic motor car trans never mind actually doing.....stay with your little Suzuki :cheesy:

🤣.........I was at the in-law's house when it turned up from the dealer, now I couldn't ignore it, could I....🤣

But, our lad whispered to me, "It's a cheap car, I don't like it".........😉

• Haha 1

My wife and I have had an MG5 for just on two years. It’s a cheap and cheerful motor that does everything you’d want and expect for a mid size, mid priced sedan (689000฿)

We’ve done 40000km of city and open road driving now and the only issue we’ve had was a noisy fuel pump in the first month of ownership. 
It’s a little heavy on fuel compared to Hondo r Toyota (8-11/km) but that’s to be expected from the spec of the car IMO

I find it comfortable, low road noise, decent sound system, excellent aircon. 
We’re both happy with our purchase 

1 hour ago, tomazbodner said:

And where was the excellent device you typed that comment on manufactured? And most of parts for it?

I didn't read the original Wikipedia review tbh but re your comment it's not about the place of manufacture but the design and trust of the brand. Apple products are manufactured in china,as are some German prestige cars but that doesn't mean they're only built to the standards of a Chinese design. 

The only other aspect is that there can be little useful feedback on reliability of MG cars while most models have only been around a few years. 10 - 12 year old Toyotas and Hondas running reliably are commonplace 

• Like 1

Friends, we went with the Toyota Yaris. It met the low- to mid spec requirements we had; good enough for short city-driving; and lastly we figured it was a brand that was easy to sell (or repair). 

Thanks for the input! 

• Agree 2