Thailand’s sugar intake quadruples WHO daily limit causing health concerns

webfact

2 hours ago, uttradit said:

Life always ends in death

True, but you go ahead and lap up the sugar... I will dance on your grave.. _Enjoying my last days healthy and happy in my old age...

• Love It 1
  • Haha 1

The public needs educating by the health authorities.
At present they are falsely educated by the advertisers.

Doctors should play an important role.  They should know that blood glucose goes preferentially to feeding cancer tumours, since these are revealed on x-rays after the patient has been given a radio-active glucose solution to drink.

The cost of excessive sugar consumption to the country should be estimated, and then this cost recuperated through taxing sugar used in industrially-produced foodstuffs ; allowing individual consumers (suitably informed of the dangers) to add the sugar they so earnestly desire.

Adding sugar to food is unnecessary for body and brain.  Alzheimer's disease is sometimes referred to as diabetes type 3.  Starches when digested form glucose.  The brain can function on ketones.

• Like 1

Talking in F/B with a Saudi Arabian nutritionist woman about food nutrition she had told me to cut in all "whites" general in foods (sugar -salt -icecream -sweets -milk -yogurt etc).

I am healthy and we were talking a general conversation about our daily nutrition program.because I had told her that I eat 2-3 times per week Thai spicy recipes with noodles or salads shrimps and squids.

I deeply thank you madam and be well!

20 hours ago, stupidfarang said:

When you see the shop inside the school selling this junk it is a concern as well. Also look at the milk drinks sold, promoting all the vitamins, anything from 3% to 12% sugar.

That brings me to Australia where they trying to ban the good old ham and cheese sandwich in schools because ham is processed meat 

21 hours ago, ezzra said:

Tell me about it, the ladies i meet in Pattaya are so sweet i have to double my daily Metformin medication

just to stay alive...

I could suggest that you cut down on eating them....:whistling:

18 hours ago, rwill said:

You should avoid artificial stuff too.  There are some other natural sugars that are way better for you.  Allulose is one but it is way more expensive than cane sugar.  Same with monkfruit sugar.

Could you make a complete list? Useful if all are available in Thailand. 

18 hours ago, Luuk Chaai said:

actually ..    you can cut off 100%  all sugar and carbs      the brain runs more effeciently with keytones and the amt of glucose it may need is created by the body thru GlucoNeoGenesis  (simple breakdown ..fat and protein )

I can't comment upon that, but a certain amount of natural sugars from fruit is beneficial.

"Sugar to the brain," used to be an expression to combat tiredness (especially when behind the wheel) and lack of energy. 

As an ex-cycle racer (amateur) a slab of dates was the chosen source.

21 hours ago, rwill said:

You should avoid artificial stuff too.  There are some other natural sugars that are way better for you.  Allulose is one but it is way more expensive than cane sugar.  Same with monkfruit sugar.

Finally got a bag of monkfruit sugar and it's not bad. But, expensive, as you note.

I blame Dunkin Doughnuts, every time I buy 2 they ask if I want 3 and they will give me 6 for the same price, always decline the offer.

Just sell them cheaper.

Plenty of Thais seem to accept this deal.

On 2/12/2024 at 6:55 AM, uttradit said:

Life always ends in death

Indeed it does.

So why be worried?

Do you want your last ten years suffering with diabetes, amputated limbs, heart attack suffering from panic attacks, dementia not knowing anybody or what is going on, stroke being in bed hardly able to eat or live a somewhat normal healthy life?

The choice is yours.  

You would be surprised how many end up like that and you never hear about them because they are disabled and miserable.  

• Agree 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/12/2024 at 1:14 PM, Wuvu2 said:

Only quadruple WHO standards?  I doubt that very much 😉

UK recommends no more than 6 teaspoons a day so 23/6 ≈ 4 

• Haha 2

On 2/13/2024 at 9:17 PM, Jiggo said:

I blame Dunkin Doughnuts, every time I buy 2 they ask if I want 3 and they will give me 6 for the same price, always decline the offer.

Just sell them cheaper.

Plenty of Thais seem to accept this deal.

Keep half for the next day.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 2/11/2024 at 7:38 PM, zhounan said:

Sugar is one the biggest problem in Thailand. 

They consume nearly as much MSG. It's added to everything. Supermarket aisles are dedicated to it. They don't know how to cook without it. 

• Like 1