Opinion: Why Biden Isn't Going Anywhere

Social Media

image.png

In the realm of political speculation, there's a recurring fantasy among some Republicans: the idea that Democrats will abandon Joe Biden as their presidential nominee, swapping him out for a supposedly stronger contender at the eleventh hour. But as much as this notion persists in GOP circles, it's rooted more in wishful thinking than political reality.

Nikki Haley, a prominent GOP figure, recently echoed this sentiment, suggesting that Biden's days as the nominee are numbered. However, such predictions are likely to fall flat, as they overlook key dynamics within the Democratic Party and the broader political landscape.

Biden's Resilience and Democratic Unity

At the heart of Biden's staying power is the overarching goal of thwarting Donald Trump's potential return to power. Despite Biden's challenges and vulnerabilities, Democrats recognize the importance of presenting a unified front against Trumpism. In this sense, Biden serves as a rallying point, bridging disparate factions within the party and galvanizing support across the spectrum, from progressive Democrats to disillusioned Republicans.

Moreover, the timing for any potential switch in nominees has passed. With state primaries concluded and Biden enjoying broad support among Democratic voters, there's little appetite within the party to entertain such a drastic maneuver. The absence of significant dissent or alternative candidates further solidifies Biden's position as the presumptive nominee.

The Trump Factor

The looming shadow of Donald Trump looms large over the political landscape, exerting considerable influence over both parties. For Democrats, Trump's continued presence serves as a powerful motivator, driving cohesion and reinforcing support for Biden as the best defense against a Trump resurgence.

The Limits of Speculation

Despite the fervent speculation among some Republicans, the reality is that Biden remains firmly entrenched as the Democratic standard-bearer. Attempts to sow doubt or propagate conspiracy theories about his candidacy are unlikely to gain traction, particularly in the absence of tangible evidence or dissent within Democratic ranks.

Conclusion

Ultimately, the belief that Biden will be ousted as the Democratic nominee reflects more wishful thinking than genuine political insight. In a landscape shaped by the imperatives of defeating Trump and maintaining party unity, Biden's candidacy endures as a cornerstone of Democratic strategy. As such, Republicans would be wise to reconcile with the reality that Biden isn't going anywhere anytime soon.

Source

image.png

From the end of the Politico source article above:

I tested all these theories on a handful of smart figures in both parties. Sen. John Hickenlooper (D-Colo.), who has no lack of mainstream Republican friends, suggested I was missing one: projection.

“Are you sure they’re not just frustrated they can’t change their candidate?” he asked.

3 hours ago, jerrymahoney said:

From the end of the Politico source article above:

I tested all these theories on a handful of smart figures in both parties. Sen. John Hickenlooper (D-Colo.), who has no lack of mainstream Republican friends, suggested I was missing one: projection.

“Are you sure they’re not just frustrated they can’t change their candidate?” he asked.

If true,despite  of what Republicans say publicly don't this  also apply to them?

• Agree 1

48 minutes ago, Hanaguma said:

I would rather both (Trump and Biden) were gone to be honest, but if I had to choose between them, I'd go for Trump.

You can choose RFKjr and not need to worry about a couple of mentally unfit 80 year olds.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

LBJ dropped out on March 37st, 1968 so Biden still has time. I would like to see him run against Trump, as I think Trump could beat him, I do not think he will, but he could. 

I think Rober Hur's report (not surprisingly) works out perfectly for the left.
1. They can show that crimes were committed, so they can still get Trump for even lessor crimes. 
2. They get to give Biden a pass, but still compel him to cooperate.
3. They can use the senility that got Biden off the hook for his crimes as a good excuse to get him to not run again. 
4. They can let him finish his term, which allows then to avoid having to stop Kamala from running as an incumbent. 
5. They can have a last-minute primary and get an Obama/Newsom ticket, maybe promise Kamala a SCOTUS appointment to get her on board.

Not from the praetorian media, but a lot of grumbling coming from the left about Biden's fitness for office.  

Edited by Yellowtail
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Hanaguma said:

Part of the reason the GOP wants Biden out is that they think the next Democratic candidate would be Harris, and she would be even easier to beat than Biden.  Any other candidate?  Trouble for the GOP. I would rather both (Trump and Biden) were gone to be honest, but if I had to choose between them, I'd go for Trump. No wars, low inflation, cheap gas. 

But also, please be careful about your words/slurs. Trump is not a "convicted sex offender". He was found liable in a civil case, not criminal. Different standards, different rules of evidence, etc.  

And he is nowhere near Biden's state of disrepair. For all his faults, Trump can still stand up and do a mass rally with thousands of fans, talk for more than an hour at a time, and walk without looking like a Roomba. 

Gavin Newsome - a much better potential candidate.

I'm trying to find something to disagree with in your other points, but they are mostly accurate. He is not an convict, gas prices were lower but no wars was not something Biden brought on his presidency. No one can blame him for Russia invading Ukraine.

I wouldn't vote for Trump, but I wouldn't vote for Biden either. There must be some other people out there. Trump and Biden are both unsuitable for President due to their age & policies. Younger, more nimble minds are needed now more than ever.

• Agree 1

18 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

LBJ dropped out on March 37st, 1968 so Biden still has time. I would like to see him run against Trump, as I think Trump could beat him, I do not think he will, but he could. 

1. They can show that crimes were committed, so they can still get Trump for even lessor crimes. 
3. They can use the senility that got Biden off the hook for his crimes as a good excuse to get him to not run again. 
4. They can let him finish his term, which allows then to avoid having to stop Kamala from running as an incumbent. 
5. They can have a last-minute primary and get an Obama/Newsom ticket, maybe promise Kamala a SCOTUS appointment to get her on board.

Not from the praetorian media, but a lot of grumbling coming from the left about Biden's fitness for office.  

Robert Hur is a republican. Why on earth would he write anything that works out perfectly for the left.

Why do you support Trump? I'm genuinely interested to know why.

He is senile, says the most outrageous things and is famous for assaulting women "Just stick your hand in their...." He appointed conservative judges that overturned Roe V Wade, thought the civil war had fighter jets in the 1800s, he is facing a total of 91 charges across four criminal cases. They include 44 federal charges and 47 state charges, all of them felonies. He appoints members of his family to the highest offices in the White House and GOP national party roles. He still lies about losing the election. This guy is just insane, why would anyone vote for him?

• Confused 1
  • Agree 2

3 minutes ago, Brickleberry said:

Robert Hur is a republican. Why on earth would he write anything that works out perfectly for the left.

Why do you support Trump? I'm genuinely interested to know why.

He is senile, says the most outrageous things and is famous for assaulting women "Just stick your hand in their...." He appointed conservative judges that overturned Roe V Wade, thought the civil war had fighter jets in the 1800s, he is facing a total of 91 charges across four criminal cases. They include 44 federal charges and 47 state charges, all of them felonies. He appoints members of his family to the highest offices in the White House and GOP national party roles. He still lies about losing the election. This guy is just insane, why would anyone vote for him?

Do you agree the report has worked out perfectly for the left or not? 

1 minute ago, Yellowtail said:

I would rather have Biden run than Newsom, and I would rather have Biden be President than Newsome. 

I blame the Biden administration for: Afghanistan, Ukraine, Israel, Illegal immigration and energy prices. 

Why? He's energetic, charismatic and he can string a whole sentence together without mumbling or saying he's the greatest. Not a very high bar, but that is what we have been reduced to in this election cycle.

Afghanistan was Bush, wasn't it?

Ukraine was Russia, wasn't it? - Biden & Trump had nothing to do with this

Israel - I kind of agree, but for very different reasons.

Illegal immigration - republicans literally just threw out a law that would shut down the border, increase wall building and security officers etc. Trump told republicans to block the new law because he wants this to be an issue during the election cycle... and you want to blame the democrats?

Energy prices are a bit higher than Trumps time, but that is to be expected when there are wars involving oil producing nations.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

Do you agree the report has worked out perfectly for the left or not? 

No! I think it demolished Biden. He now looks like a frail old man who is not suitable for another four years.

This report completely ruined his reputation and to be fair, he brought it on himself. He should have been (and still can be) a one term president, encouraging someone else to take the reins for this cycle. He is to old, and I agree with the report's findings.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Brickleberry said:

Why? He's energetic, charismatic and he can string a whole sentence together without mumbling or saying he's the greatest. Not a very high bar, but that is what we have been reduced to in this election cycle.

I'm from California, I've seen what he's done. 

Afghanistan was Bush, wasn't it?

Not the withdrawal 

Ukraine was Russia, wasn't it? - Biden & Trump had nothing to do with this

We disagree.

Israel - I kind of agree, but for very different reasons.

What are your reasons? 

Illegal immigration - republicans literally just threw out a law that would shut down the border, increase wall building and security officers etc.

No. Republicans threw out a bill that would have facilitated expediting illegal immigration. 

Trump told republicans to block the new law because he wants this to be an issue during the election cycle... and you want to blame the democrats?

I applaud Republicans for killing the bill. It was a POC.  

Energy prices are a bit higher than Trumps time, but that is to be expected when there are wars involving oil producing nations.

A bit? Up over 30% before Putin invaded Ukraine. And yes, it's nothing to the rich, but it is significant to the working poor:

Fred07.png.f9f4b7ba013c20eba2e499527c24f79a.png

Economic Research - St. Louis Fed (stlouisfed.org)

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

28 minutes ago, Brickleberry said:

No! I think it demolished Biden. He now looks like a frail old man who is not suitable for another four years.

This report completely ruined his reputation and to be fair, he brought it on himself. He should have been (and still can be) a one term president, encouraging someone else to take the reins for this cycle. He is to old, and I agree with the report's findings.

Did you not understand the question? 

• Love It 1

4 hours ago, JonnyF said:

I fail to see why Republicans would want Biden to go.

He seems to be the perfect candidate as far as they are concerned. His performances are getting more embarrassing/bizarre by the day. By the time November comes around he will likely be even more impaired. How's it going to look when he is stumbling around the stage, getting Israel mixed up with Mexico, misnaming everyone, shouting at reporters etc. Any floating voters would likely see that and conclude there is no way he can possibly serve another term.

As a neutral observer it will be fascinating to see events unfold. 

Today’s special election results suggests you’re beliefs are adrift of what’s actually going on.

• Thumbs Up 1

32 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:
1 hour ago, Brickleberry said:

Illegal immigration - republicans literally just threw out a law that would shut down the border, increase wall building and security officers etc.

No. Republicans threw out a bill that would have facilitated expediting illegal immigration. 

The bill would have shut the border down if they encounter a lot of immigrants. More funds for border patrol agents. More funds for building walls. It contained a lot of what republicans want.

It would have expedited immigration hearings to 90 days - they would be kicked out of the country or approved to stay within 90 days.

4 hours ago, Yellowtail said:

I'm from California, I've seen what he's done. 

Not the withdrawal 

We disagree.

What are your reasons? 

I applaud Republicans for killing the bill. It was a POC.  

A bit? Up over 30% before Putin invaded Ukraine. And yes, it's nothing to the rich, but it is significant to the working poor:

Fred07.png.f9f4b7ba013c20eba2e499527c24f79a.png

Economic Research - St. Louis Fed (stlouisfed.org)

US presidents can not control the gas prices at the pump. Gas Prices were about $2 a gallon when Trump took over from Obama.

https://apnews.com/article/fact-check-chart-misleads-gas-prices-obama-trump-102618360729

Joshua Busby, an associate professor of public affairs at the University of Texas at Austin, wrote in an email to the AP that beyond releasing oil from the nation’s Strategic Petroleum Reserve, U.S. presidents have “limited leverage over gas prices.”

“Prices are set by the market,” Busby wrote. “If there is a major increase in demand (demand resurgence as worst of pandemic ends) or supply disruption (Ukraine conflict fallout), it’s not clear any US President would have many levers to alter that situation in the short run.”

4 hours ago, Brickleberry said:

What I said was:

That's why I think it works out well for the left. 

10 minutes ago, Brickleberry said:

The bill would have shut the border down if they encounter a lot of immigrants. More funds for border patrol agents. More funds for building walls. It contained a lot of what republicans want.

Yes, it would have allowed in five thousand a day. It contained a few things the RINOs that supported it wanted. 

Do you think building a wall is a good idea? 

No more funding is needed to close the border. 

10 minutes ago, Brickleberry said:

It would have expedited immigration hearings to 90 days - they would be kicked out of the country or approved to stay within 90 days.

Under Trump, they had to wait in Mexico until their hearing. 

It also gave a lot of work permits to drive wages down for the working poor lead to citizenship in a few years. 

How about we stop illegal immigration, and focus on expediting legal immigration? 

• Agree 1

US presidents can not control the gas prices at the pump. Gas Prices were about $2 a gallon when Trump took over from Obama.

https://apnews.com/article/fact-check-chart-misleads-gas-prices-obama-trump-102618360729

How energy friendly an administration is to energy companies has a lot to do with the prices. Shutting down pipeline projects and initiating programs that make it more expensive to produce energy makes energy more expensive. 

Pumping cheap oil from the Strategic Petroleum Reserve and releasing it into the market (before an election for example) temporally drives the price down. 

Do you not believe that? 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1