Procured International Driver's Licence (IDL) in Phuket

oldcpu

14 hours ago, Upnotover said:

It's a "permit" not a licence.  Make sure you carry your actual licence along with it.

image.png.31e2260f633efbd8bdb009d3f1e07f6a.png

You are correct....think this DLT page would benefit from an update/correction.

https://www.dlt.go.th/en/international-driving-licence?fbclid=IwAR2_avbBzlyIhKFShaNpC_SKi3rZ1XE8pYV9FiV2K-toWOLgs1fsvVsUwhc

11 minutes ago, zzzzz said:

USA accepts Thai license as well for renting cars and driving>
zero reason for an IDP if ur license is in English

I have no idea of the accuracy of this chart but it shows that 10 states require the IDP. I'm a little skeptical myself but better safe than sorry.

https://www.rhinocarhire.com/Car-Hire-Blog/October-2019/international-driving-permit-USA.aspx

31 minutes ago, zzzzz said:

Then why is an IDP necessary in Thailand if you have a UK licence?

Yes I agree that the IDP is merely a translation of your home licence.

Edited by KannikaP
  • Confused 2

34 minutes ago, zzzzz said:

monthlong trip to USA last April in a rental car. Bus turning, crossed into my lane and rubbed against passenger side front fender (Florida). Police report at the scene ... no issue presenting my Thai Driver's License for rental nor accident..

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, zzzzz said:

legally its not, ur home countries dl is valid if its in English for up to 90 day stays as a tourist
IF ur on a long term visa/extension u need show a Thai license.

Exactly what I was led to believe. But gov.uk says that you DO need a 1968 IDP for Thailand.

The 505 Thai baht for this International Driver's Permit was and is a small amount of money.  VERY fortunately I was able to avoid the line ups at the Phuket DoT (and fortunately I did not have to 1st go to Phuket's immigration office to obtain a piece of paper with proof of residency), so the process to obtain the IDP was not painful (where I note most time, in my experience, the line ups at Phuket's DoT are very long).

As for the requirement ?  I think I would call it more 'peace of mind' than a 'requirement'  ... I note that the car rental sites for New Zealand, (where I plan to visit and from where I booked rental cars), from two different companies (one in the North Island and one in the South Island), both state " If the licence is not in English, an International Driving Permit will be required when you arrive to collect your rental car. "

I have 2 driver's licences:  A German driver's licence (not in English) and a Thai driver's licence (not in English).  So I decided paying 505 THB in advance of heading to NewZealand was an ok way forward for piece of mind.

... one unrelated piece of trivia, ... the International Driver's Permit lists the countries where it is valid.  Of interest - Germany is not on that list.  That is a mute point for me as (1) I am not planning to visit Germany in the next 12 months, and (2) I already have a German driver's license.  But I found that omission of Germany from the list of countries in this Thai purchased IDP of interest.

1 hour ago, oldcpu said:

The 505 Thai baht for this International Driver's Permit was and is a small amount of money.  VERY fortunately I was able to avoid the line ups at the Phuket DoT (and fortunately I did not have to 1st go to Phuket's immigration office to obtain a piece of paper with proof of residency), so the process to obtain the IDP was not painful (where I note most time, in my experience, the line ups at Phuket's DoT are very long).

As for the requirement ?  I think I would call it more 'peace of mind' than a 'requirement'  ... I note that the car rental sites for New Zealand, (where I plan to visit and from where I booked rental cars), from two different companies (one in the North Island and one in the South Island), both state " If the licence is not in English, an International Driving Permit will be required when you arrive to collect your rental car. "

I have 2 driver's licences:  A German driver's licence (not in English) and a Thai driver's licence (not in English).  So I decided paying 505 THB in advance of heading to NewZealand was an ok way forward for piece of mind.

... one unrelated piece of trivia, ... the International Driver's Permit lists the countries where it is valid.  Of interest - Germany is not on that list.  That is a mute point for me as (1) I am not planning to visit Germany in the next 12 months, and (2) I already have a German driver's license.  But I found that omission of Germany from the list of countries in this Thai purchased IDP of interest.

BOLD:
exactly what i said
an IDP Is ONLY useful if ur LIcnse iks not in Englsih ( a Thai license is ) 
no idea what thai license u have but both mine are in Thai & English
where id number is ur passport  #

this is NOT mine but exactly like mine
th?id=OIP.Iu2Yrsc7ClfEspL-oQZCxwHaEt%26p

Edited by zzzzz
  • Haha 1
  • Agree 1

To drive or lease a car in Thailand as a tourist or visitor it is necessary to have either a Thai driving licence or a valid foreign driving licence with a photograph. The foreign licence must either be in English, or be accompanied by an official translation into English or Thai. The licence needs to have been issued by a country that has a treaty with the Thai government allowing the mutual acceptance of driving licences.  Most countries, including Australia, Canada, New Zealand, the UK and the USA have this agreement with Thailand under the 1949 Geneva Convention on Road Traffic or the 1968 Vienna Convention on Road Traffic

If the driver is not a tourist or visitor but is a resident with a non-immigrant visa, then it is necessary to have a Thai driver's licence.

https://www.angloinfo.com/how-to/thailand/transport/driving-licences

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, zzzzz said:

BOLD:
exactly what i said
an IDP Is ONLY useful if ur LIcnse iks not in Englsih ( a Thai license is )

No dispute there from me.

Unfortunately I have in the past , encountered the (shall I say ignorant? ) at a rental car place, who saw the Thai script, and immediately refused to look at the English.  They jumped on a high horse and insisted an IDP was necessary.  I was VERY jet lagged at the time, and after a tiring verbal exchange (where I tried my damnedest to be polite), they eventually backed down and accepted the Thai driver's licence.

I don't need a repeat of that, and if 505 THB will avoid such treatment from an a*hole then its well worth it.

But  hey - save the 505 THB and go for the experience of such an encounter.

• Thumbs Up 1

"But  hey - save the 505 THB and go for the experience of such an encounter."  for a 1 year permit
vs 515 for the 5 year license< 
yes i will save the 505 for each year
I have rented cars and driven in the states, France, Greece, Australia & Burma with my thai license
so yep, up to you   🙂

47 minutes ago, zzzzz said:

"But  hey - save the 505 THB and go for the experience of such an encounter."  for a 1 year permit
vs 515 for the 5 year license< 
yes i will save the 505 for each year
I have rented cars and driven in the states, France, Greece, Australia & Burma with my thai license
so yep, up to you   🙂

I rented in Greece, Canada and Northern Ireland with my Thai driver's licence.  No problems in Greece.  But the rental agents in both Canada and Northern Ireland struggled with the Thai license and initially demanded an IDP.   Only with polite persistence was I able to get them to back down - and in both cases I was very heavy jet lagged and this was very tiring on me.

so I asked myself, ... is it worth the 505 THB to stick by "my guns" to eventually get my way ?  

For this upcoming trip, I am going to take the easier approach with an IDP.

Edited by oldcpu
  • Thumbs Up 1

41 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

Mine is in Thai AND English

Yes - I worded that badly -  so is mine.  I should have typed a " ... and a Thai driver's license (not only in English but with more text in Thai language) ... " .. 

The Thai font put off the rental car agent in both Northern Ireland (Derry) and in Canada (Vancouver Airport & also Whistler), and it took some patience on my part to point out the English language text. They all initially rejected the Thai driver's licence and asked for an IDP.

On 2/17/2024 at 11:01 AM, zzzzz said:

legally its not, ur home countries dl is valid if its in English for up to 90 day stays as a tourist
IF ur on a long term visa/extension u need show a Thai license.

This is correct but good luck arguing with the cops and insurance companies if you make a claim. Even some embassy websites say you need one but legally you don't if your licence is in English. A few years ago my friend was stopped in his car in Chonburi and the cops wanted to fine him 1000 baht for not having an IDP. He insisted on going back to the station so it could get sorted and after a couple of hours waiting he was fined 500 baht and given a receipt. When he got to his hotel he asked reception to translate the receipt and they said he was fined 500 baht for not wearing a crash helmet 🤣

Edited by Jaggg88
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 1