Six Nations 2024: Wales prop Keiron Assiratti proves power of persistence

CharlieH

image.png

Guinness Six Nations: Ireland v Wales
Venue: Aviva Stadium, Dublin Date: Saturday, 24 February Kick-off: 14:15 GMT
Coverage: Watch live on S4C; listen on BBC Radio Wales & Radio Cymru; text commentary and match report on BBC Sport website and app

Just 12 months ago Cardiff prop Keiron Assiratti was wondering whether he had any future in rugby.

Now the Wales tight-head finds himself an important player in Warren Gatland's set-up going into the Six Nations trip to Ireland next Saturday.

"It's a big change," said Assiratti.

"This time 12 months ago, I didn't know what I was doing with my rugby. I didn't know what was going to happen last year.

"Now, when I think about what could have been and what is happening, I'm glad I stuck at it.

"I can say I'm doing quite well, so it's been a big turnaround."

A year ago Assiratti was battling uncertainty over his future with financial issues over new contracts dominating the Welsh rugby landscape.

Assiratti was struggling to be a regular regional starter and unsure whether he would be offered a new deal.

"I wasn't playing at all in the first half of last season and it was frustrating," said Assiratti.

"It was hard to keep going. I didn't know what I was going to do. I just had to play as well as I could and see what happened."

READ MORE

sPORT-bbc.png