How you use AC at night?

scubascuba3

1) I'm trying all different things, usually i just give the bedroom a burst around the time i sleep for an hour, then 3 thirty min bursts during the night 27⁰ when i wake up. No duvet needed. Plus fan

2) AC on all night 27⁰, light duvet needed but still wake up 3 times.

3) Last night tried 1) but on Dry mode with average success, sleep was a little more disturbed than usual.

1 is probably best but not perfect.

What works best for you?

Edited by scubascuba3
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Tropicalevo said:

Ceiling fan 24/7. Slow speed.

Duvet when the temp in the bedroom is below 28 C.

Only use a/c when temp in the bedroom is > 32 C.

A/c set to 28.5 and usually wake up at some stage and switch it off if I am cold.

Newish a/c unit with an inverter and when I set it to 'econ' I cannot hear the bloomin thing and forget to switch it off.

I have a new Daikin unit that is incredibly efficient and quiet, and I also often forget to turn it off. It has a movement sensor that increases the temperature in the room by 1C if there's no one in the room... which increases it to 28.5, so at that point, it's not working very hard. 2 of these units save me at least 1000 baht per month on electricity. My wife runs it in her room at 28C and that's too cold for her to leave it on.

Edited by JensenZ
  • Agree 1

6 minutes ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

27° for me and the midget, after a few months 27° becomes hot so I turn it down to 26° for a couple more months then get it cleaned and back up to 27° again.

I keep a digital thermometer next to my bed because sometimes I feel hot and check to see if I'm the problem or if it is the air con unit. I exercise a lot, cardio and weights, and sometimes my body is a lot hotter on nights after intense workouts. I use the pillow as a gauge. If it's getting damp, I turn down the air con temp.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

One of the reasons I'm experimenting again is i was staying in many different hotels recently and had better sleep, probably because AC freezing all night + big duvets. Thermostats often seemed not to work well

If you are staying at different locations I'd say what you are doing is the best option, keep it cooler. 

Nothing better than sleeping in your own bed.

Sadly, I travel every month, you just can't get the ambience right sleeping in different locations. 

Edited by SAFETY FIRST
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

We dont, just the ceiling fan with most windows open, we are luckty we can do it.
Just had a new aircon fitted in the 2nd bedroom for visiting family the daughter has it like an ice box, & when she comes out in the morning "OH its so hot"🤣

• Like 2

I set the temperature on the aircon at 25° (sometimes 24°) because my bedroom is just offset against the lounge and aircon unit, and it seems to work quite well. In addition I have the ceiling fan rotating at medium/low speed.

BUT, my aircon unit is playing up again, because water floods (a bit of an exaggeration) out from the front of it and covers everything in the kitchen making it a bloody nuisance. I try to get it cleaned once every six months but this still happens, so I'm wondering if this happens to other folks?? Maybe the aircon unit, Mitsubishi Mr Slim 14,000 Btu for a 42/44 m² apartment is too small??

I've got the aircon man coming round tomorrow to give it a good cleaning, and am seriously thinking about buying a new aircon as Sharp has a few deals on at the moment on its 18,000 Btu inverter models. Any ideas anyone?

PS. Sorry to go just a little off tangent, but some help on this regard would be fabulous. Thank you.

PPS. The current unit is 7 yrs old and the drain pipe seems clear? 

• Sad 1

41 minutes ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

27° for me and the midget, after a few months 27° becomes hot so I turn it down to 26° for a couple more months then get it cleaned and back up to 27° again.

Can you really tell the difference between 26 and 27 degrees?

• Sad 2

13 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

Can you really tell the difference between 26 and 27 degrees?

Definitely. I adjust mine by 0.5C increments. If it's too hot, I decrease it by 0.5C until it's perfect.

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

35 minutes ago, JimTripper said:

Open the window & use a fan.

Although i have done that in the past it's not ideal, i.e. still hot and humid, fan just blows around hot air and yes i get good airflow through the condo usually. The other problem is if open windows/doors/curtains there can be noise and light issues

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

7 minutes ago, JensenZ said:

Definitely. I adjust mine by 0.5C increments. If it's too hot, I decrease it by 0.5C until it's perfect.

You must have a posh a/c. Mine only goes in full degrees. 555

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

Although i have done that in the past it's not ideal, i.e. still hot and humid, fan just blows around hot air and yes i get good airflow through the condo usually. The other problem is if open windows/doors/curtains there can be noise and light issues

I dunno, but if you need a/c all the time I don't think a tropical country is a good fit for you. Weather is an important factor to where you live.

I had a neighbor who did the a/c thing all the time. He finally gave in and just moved.

• Confused 2
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1