How you use AC at night?

scubascuba3

Aircon mode 23 degrees bedroom only in a new carrier 3 star unit.

Bill for condo not in thailand = 600b a month

Bill for condo in thailand = 2600b a month

For 2000b its a bargain to run it 12 hours per day.

26.5 degrees all day and night, except for 24 when playing Beat Saber. Sleep under single sheet. Those hotel duvets are a nightmare, choice of either sweating beneath a layer of insulation suitable for a Chicago winter, or freezing with no cover at all. I always now take a small sheet and light blanket whenever I travel.

7 minutes ago, lexxy said:

Aircon mode 23 degrees bedroom only in a new carrier 3 star unit.

Bill for condo not in thailand = 600b a month

Bill for condo in thailand = 2600b a month

For 2000b its a bargain to run it 12 hours per day.

I think Carrier is about the best choice out there, at least for greater Bangkok. Significantly cheaper than comparable Daiken and Mitsu units, they have great service, and last time I checked they had the best warranty in Thailand. 

• Love It 1

25 minutes ago, alex8912 said:

That's strange. If it's hot out at night like in Thailand you use a/c. So I guess if you lived in New England you would get used to the cold and not use heat late October to May? Or move to Florida?

I would use a remedy like a heater or a/c if temps were at an extreme. That extreme is different for different people. Some people don't adapt to the environment well and are over sensitive, or they have a comfort zone that needs to be maintained and any change from that state bothers them.

Edited by JimTripper

8 minutes ago, JimTripper said:

I would use a remedy like a heater or a/c if temps were at an extreme. That extreme is different for different people. Some people don't adapt to the environment well and are over sensitive, or they have a comfort zone that needs to be maintained and any change from that state bothers them.

And a lot of people don't care to adapt. I did not have air conditioning in my home until I was forty. I could get along without air conditioning like I could get along without hot water, but I like air conditioning, and I like hot water. 

50 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

That explains why i sleep better in hotels when it's freezing as the AC thermostat is often broken 

Or was it the extra consumption of beverage while out on the town?  🙄

wifes Thai, we're old, lived in USA 44 yrs and she likes 20C. I can handle the heat but she doesn't very well.  Bedroom at night same as parlor during the day 20C and fans and big comforter. Did partition off kitchen dining from parlor/family room so AC doesn't work too hard and 6 inches fiberglass in ceiling whole house.  She is happy and has small blankets everywhere and I wear shorts.  Retiring here was not and option for me....

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

I think Carrier is about the best choice out there, at least for greater Bangkok. Significantly cheaper than comparable Daiken and Mitsu units, they have great service, and last time I checked they had the best warranty in Thailand. 

It was the only 3 star for power consumption out there when i went on a shopping spree after a reno at homepro.

24 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

And a lot of people don't care to adapt. I did not have air conditioning in my home until I was forty. I could get along without air conditioning like I could get along without hot water, but I like air conditioning, and I like hot water. 

So crank it. Nothing much to see here for you unless you can't afford the cost.

The Op's problem is he can't afford to make his place as comfortable as he wants it. So he's trying to "cheat" which does not work. Either pay up or learn to adapt.

Edited by JimTripper
  • Haha 1

20 hours ago, JimTripper said:

I dunno, but if you need a/c all the time I don't think a tropical country is a good fit for you. Weather is an important factor to where you live.

I had a neighbor who did the a/c thing all the time. He finally gave in and just moved.

It has little to do with need. I can live without it if I have to. It's a luxury I don't mind spending a few 1000 baht a month on. I certainly don't need any recommendations to leave as I've been living in SEA for nearly 25 years, here and in the Philippines. I've done quite a bit of time with no air-con in that time too. I've lived in houses with tin roofs right through summer when fans blow hot air. At 35C, fans are no longer effective. I can tell you that from experience.

No thanks. You can be a hero and suffer through summer with no air-con if you like, but a well-air-conditioned room to sleep in is a luxury I will continue to enjoy.

BTW, the power consumption of a new inverter unit running at the lowest fan settings, and set at 27C is probably about the same as a fan running on a high setting... and quieter too. One trick to lower power consumption is to keep the doors closed after you turn off the air-con. When you turn it on again, it has less work to do. This also keeps the room mosquito-free. You'll be surprised that even after 8 hours, the room is still cooler than other rooms with doors open.

Edited by JensenZ

6 minutes ago, JensenZ said:

It has little to do with need. I can live without it if I have to. It's a luxury I don't mind spending a few 1000 baht a month on. I certainly don't need any recommendations to leave as I've been living in SEA for nearly 25 years, here and in the Philippines. I've done quite a bit of time with no air-con in that time too. I've lived in houses with tin roofs right through summer when fans blow hot air. At 35C, fans are no longer effective. I can tell you that from experience.

No thanks. You can be a hero and suffer through summer with no air-con if you like, but a well-air-conditioned room to sleep in is a luxury I will continue to enjoy.

BTW, the power use of a new inverter unit running at the lowest fan settings, and set at 27C is probably about the same as a fan running on a high setting... and quieter too. One trick to lower power consumption is to keep the doors closed after you turn off the air-con. When you turn it on again, it has less work to do. This also keeps the room mosquito-free. You'll be surprised that even after 8 hours, the room is still cooler than other rooms with doors open.

Yikes! Next, you'll be wanting a mattress with clean sheets, where does it end? 

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, JimTripper said:

Have you asked your landlord to install sliding screens on the windows & doors to keep mosquito's out?

Many units have the screens missing but have the rails for them there. They get damaged and just taken off and never replaced. Depends on the property, many places won't have the rails.

I decided to go without screens. My condo is an entire floor and has 10 sliding doors and 2 windows. They spoil the view and get filthy. Even if I had screens I would still use the air-con in my bedroom, even on cooler nights, because I need blockout curtains in the day, and windows are not very effective behind curtains.

8 minutes ago, JensenZ said:

I decided to go without screens. My condo is an entire floor and has 10 sliding doors and 2 windows. They spoil the view and get filthy. Even if I had screens I would still use the air-con in my bedroom, even on cooler nights, because I need blockout curtains in the day, and windows are not very effective behind curtains.

What do you do in the rest of the house in the evening, shut the sliding doors and just run a/c? Or do you leave the sliding doors open and don't care about mosquito's?

Edited by JimTripper

1 minute ago, JimTripper said:

What do you do in the rest of the house in the evening, shut the sliding doors and just run a/c?

I have 4 bedrooms, a huge living room, and a separate kitchen. I only use aircon in 2 bedrooms, and in my dedicated gym room when I'm working out. Occasionally I turn it on in my office if it's very hot.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

22 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

1) I'm trying all different things, usually i just give the bedroom a burst around the time i sleep for an hour, then 3 thirty min bursts during the night 27⁰ when i wake up. No duvet needed. Plus fan

2) AC on all night 27⁰, light duvet needed but still wake up 3 times.

3) Last night tried 1) but on Dry mode with average success, sleep was a little more disturbed than usual.

1 is probably best but not perfect.

What works best for you?

Don't need to use AC when I go to bed. I hardly ever wake up till morning. Your talking about 7 hours sleep a day plus a nap from 5-6pm, AC off then too with just a fan being used. I do cycle and go to the exercise park in the morning before breakfast, so that helps a lot.

AC nearly always at 25 degree's and on low, only very occasionally put it up to Mid. We also have solar panels.

Edited by NoshowJones

No A/c in our house ,because I don't like them , but I do own 16 of them

in rental properties , growing up in UK , nobody had A/c ,so was not 

brought up with them ,like American folk , for who they are a must have.

We sleep with the windows open ,but have mozzies nets on them, a lot

of large trees ,shrubs ,koi pond and smaller ponds help keep the area

cool , even in very hot weather get among the trees you can feel temperature

difference, for the last few weeks I have been sleeping with electric blanket on.

if I lived in a Condo I think I would have to have A/c .

regards Worgeordie

A double wall house with cavity between no need more than 27. No need AC after

8 am and turn it back on around noon. We have a big L room with 2 AC, 40sqm, but only one AC at the time. One for asleep time (inverter very quiet on low speed) and one for day time (regular type with more power), both adjusted at 27. 

On 2/18/2024 at 5:40 PM, Tropicalevo said:

Ceiling fan 24/7. Slow speed.

Duvet when the temp in the bedroom is below 28 C.

Only use a/c when temp in the bedroom is > 32 C.

A/c set to 28.5 and usually wake up at some stage and switch it off if I am cold.

Newish a/c unit with an inverter and when I set it to 'econ' I cannot hear the bloomin thing and forget to switch it off.

Similar to me, I very very rarely need AC.   But If I do put it on it's set at 28C. 

I have never used a duvet in Thailand, just a top sheet or nothing over me at all.  

• Thumbs Up 1

The best level of rooms temperature is the level you feel relax and comfortable although I am from Greece and I hate A/C but I think the best room temperature is 25c -26c.

You can also use vaporizer aromatherapy if you can't sleep. In Greece - Athens, I put an aroma vaporizer on the lower level and it's perfect.(I use lemograss)

In any case if you are not still able to sleep relaxed you can take vitamins melatonin or serotonin with one capsule Magnesium vitamin  1-2 hour before you go to bed to relax your body. (with a spool oil in order to absorb vitamins naturally)

Finally wash and clean the sheets and pillowcase once a week in order to "kill" the viruses we get when we sleep and put them out in the sun to dry. 

• Thanks 1

My first visit to SEAsia was for a couple of months (working) when I was in my early 20s. By the time I went home I'd acclimatised and preferred to sleep with no AC, just a fan. 

Now I'm (a lot) older, I use the AC to cool the bedroom down for half an hour or so (even then, it's only set to 26C), then turn it off and sleep under a lightweight duvet with the fan on. 

I wish I had ceilings high enough for a ceiling fan, though, they're the best. 

• Thanks 1

On 2/18/2024 at 9:33 PM, scubascuba3 said:

1) I'm trying all different things, usually i just give the bedroom a burst around the time i sleep for an hour, then 3 thirty min bursts during the night 27⁰ when i wake up. No duvet needed. Plus fan

3) Last night tried 1) but on Dry mode with average success, sleep was a little more disturbed than usual.

What works best for you?

Dry mode is for dehumidification meaning it will both heat and cool with the main purpose to lower the relative humidity.

Apparent temperature is the result of actual temperature and air velocity and the higher the air flow(fan speed) the lower the apparent temperature.

The human body can sense temperature changes as low as 0.2 deg C and the body also acclimatises during seasons variations and is satisfied by a range of temperatures based on these changes.

A/C units sense an average return air temperature and the room temperature also varies depending on the air flow throughout the room.

The supply air temperature immediately at discharge is far lower than the room temperature and mixes with existing space air to arrive at a temperature that is close to the desired set point, this relies on the supply air flow path to be adequately arranged to suit the geometry of the room.

When the unit  operates satisfactory the return air temperature minus the supply air temp equals the room incoming heat load and hence satisfies the set point.

Edited by Reigntax

On 2/18/2024 at 4:33 AM, scubascuba3 said:

What works best for you?

My wife sets it to where she's comfortable and I pay the bill and don't have wife issues all day. :wai: